RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip report: Grand Canyon from Kansas City Union Station

Author Topic: Trip report: Grand Canyon from Kansas City Union Station
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really delayed trip report taken by four couples siblings and spouses) to the Grand Canyon in March 2008. We range in age from 54 to 63.

This trip was booked first class (as first class as was possible the entire way). The cost was just under $1200 per person for all major bookings: Amtrak tickets for full bedrooms, Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, Grand Canyon Railroad and riding aboard the deluxe lounge at the rear of the train, and one night at El Tovar.

It is of course possible to reduce this cost by traveling coach and selecting some things a la carte, in addition to booking cheaper seats on the Grand Canyon Railroad and staying at other than El Tovar in a room without a Grand Canyon view. A vacationer might also fall into a deal. But this cost is probably an upwards cost (and for me was worth it).

The trip actually spanned Monday evening (10:00 pm) to Saturday morning (7:30 am.)

The Southwest Chief mainained its schedule both ways to within a half hour of departure and arrival. Actually, the slight delay back into Kansas City at the Argentine refueling yard permitted half of us to have one more breakfast aboard before stepping off on Saturday morning.

The weather for the entire trip (in March) was decent. The temperature at Grand Canyon was clear cold and dry at night (in the 20's) and about 60 degrees during the day.

All appliances on the Southwest Chief worked well. Nothing broken in the bedrooms and service was without fault.

Sights and scenery aboard was excellent. The only (and I mean only) negative thing I can remember during the entire trip back was a woman who sat in the sightseer quilting. She parked herself in the middle three-seat and essentially hogged that premium space for an entire day. A complaint could have probably resulted in her being asked to move, as she was really a coach seat passenger, but nobody did (including our party) and we let it go.

As far as rail trips go, it would be very hard to match this one. In fact the odds are that a future trip might not measure up.

Since I organized this trip, and my siblings are not rail fans, I am very grateful that this one came off perfect. I could personally tolerate a less than perfect trip, but, I couldn't say the same for my family or my wife.

To sum up: If you were to take this trip and spend the roughly $2500 per couple from Kansas City to Grand Canyon and return, the experience CAN BE as wonderful as I describe. There are pictures of this trip on Flickr. I would be happy to share the link for any or all to see.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny story: my wife is an avid quilter. When I read her your comment about the quilter hogging the seat in the lounge, she had a good laugh. Then after a moment of silence, she quietly said - 'weren't we on the Chief that year'. I checked our travel journals and much to her relief found it was in January, not March. But it is unlikely she could have remained there all day, that is amazing. I suspect the woman was totally oblivious to hogging and would have moved if asked.

Glad you had a good trip, I wonder what it would cost today. I was browsing transcon trains for a trip this fall and all had a bedroom price at over $1000.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:

I am grateful that this one came off perfect. I could personally tolerate a less than perfect trip, but, I couldn't say the same for my family or my wife.

It is often this way with wives.......

Which is why I often travel alone on Amtrak.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike AT&SF 17-18 and 19-20 (the Super Chief/El Capitan and the Chief, respectively), which had First Class only lounge cars and diners, on Amtrak 3-4 the Sightseer is first occupied, period.

A quiet word with her might have helped, but frankly, I'm usually very content to be in my deluxe BR in the sleeper, and let others have the lounge.

I'm glad you had a great trip. The Santa Fe isn't the Union Pacific for scenery, but it's close.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thoughtthe El cap as all coach. I did ride it several times but was in the women and child only coach. Being very young I just don't remember different classes.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago I was on one of my train trips, and there was a quilter sitting in middle of the lounge all day (on the CZ I believe) -- I forgot her name, since I'd talked to her and her lady friend quite a bit, but I wonder if it could have been the same lady......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick quiz; What is Paducah KY best known for/as?

Something tells me the answer from the universe of "here" could well be different from that of one drawn from the population at large. However, all too much of the latter would likely be....HUH.

On my return from Atlanta last week, I did the I-24 Business Loop through town - to get some gas and be able to say "I've seen the place".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, GBN, I'll take the bait. I would say it is noted as a major terminal and shops on the Illinois Central RR. It was a last stronghold of steam on the IC, including the Irwin S. Cobb that ran from Louisville to Memphis with connection to the Louisiane at Fulton.

My wife would say it is the home of the American Quilting Society annual quilt show - second only to the international one in Houston.

We have 'discussed' going there, but I believe Houston would be more interesting.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home of a major IC shop which, as noted above, was the last bastion of IC steam. These shops were later spun off to a private contractor who did diesel rebuilds giving older units new life on various shortlines. If I'm not mistaken, the old IC F7 diesels that were rebuilt into F10's for Boston Commuter service (MBTA) in the late 70's came through the Paducah shops.

Seems like this shop was visible from the I-24 business loop.

I've not been to Paducah since playing some military funerals there in early 1992 but the shop was still active then......would not be surprised if it were nothing but rubble now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the answer that GBN is looking for is that it's known as "Quilt City, USA" with the museum there.

Here's some interesting trivia, though, courtesy of Wikipedia:

'Paducah is one of only two cities named in the world-famous song "Hooray for Hollywood" that opens the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Awards (The Oscars). The 1937 song, with music by Richard Whiting and lyrics by Johnny Mercer, contains in the second verse: "Hooray for Hollywood! That phony, super Coney, Hollywood. They come from Chilicothes and Padukahs..."

Both cities were misspelled in the original published lyrics, though that may have been the fault of the publishers rather than Mercer, who was famous for the sophistication and attention to detail he put into his lyrics. The correct spellings are, of course, "Chillicothe" and "Paducah". Paducah, like Hollywood, California, lies in a seismically active fault zone.'

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland and Miss Mary get the grand prize.

While of course safely piloting my buggy is first and foremost, I did not see any structures that appeared to be railroad shops visible from BL I-24.

Somehow, if I were to have driven past this structure, I think I would have known it.

Finally Ocala Mike, Johnny Mercer DID take license with lyrics. Case in point, and as Mr. Haithcoat will concur, 'Chattanooga Choo-Choo"

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ride on the Grand Canyon Railway is planned for 2011. Never having had the opportunity to travel in a dome car I was going to chose that option over the open-ended coach at the rear, even though it is also very typical of US rolling-stock.Are there any issues which should influence my choice?
The Canadian, God willing, is a possibility for 2013/14 and there we could experience dome cars in "real" service.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rear coach is great, good food, lots of personal attention and of course the open rear. It seems to me that we were also allowed access to a dome but I may be mistaken.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

Finally Ocala Mike, Johnny Mercer DID take license with lyrics.

Funny how these discussions "wrap around" on themselves. In another thread, a couple of posters were extolling the virtues of Savannah, GA as a destination, and here we are talking about Johnny Mercer, the musical pride of that Georgia city.

GBN, I guess it's ok to take license with lyrics along the way to writing some 1500 songs, right?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:

I am grateful that this one came off perfect. I could personally tolerate a less than perfect trip, but, I couldn't say the same for my family or my wife.

It is often this way with wives.......

Which is why I often travel alone on Amtrak.

My family, siblings and spouses loved this trip, and every once in a while mention how wonderful it was. My wife has never complained about riding the rails, she does suffer from some motion issues, but with a patch does fine on the train. The motion on the Chief is not bad at all.

My siblings have taken other Amtrak trips, to St. Louis and Chicago to see plays and stage productions. They will want to take more trips by rail; but they're not foamers like myself, they just enjoy the special advantages of traveling in company with family aboard a train.

The trip to Grand Canyon was taken in the grand tradition of rail travel only in modern times; and it was taken doorstep to doorstep with no auto or shuttling. Even though there was no barber aboard and no native-Americans to entertain passengers and kids, the ride was smooth, the scenery was the same, the air quality undoubtably better due to the smoke free environment.

Returning had a special moment I will never forget. We left Williams Junction on a nearly full moon night (well before dawn), and just went stright to our bedroom and slept for several hours. Running at speed eastbound over the desert produced floating sensation; the view out the window was moonlit and amazing. I got up a few hours later and watched a desert sunrise while sitting nearly alone in the sightseer. So relaxing and special.

So, my wife and I are now planning Glacier Park next summer. It's likely to be Amtrak's 4 days-three nights package.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page