RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AOE Resurrection

Author Topic: AOE Resurrection
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Orient Express is back, or will be in 2011. http://www.americanorientexpress.net/
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could possibly be a "run it up the flagpole and see how it flies" exercise.

Most positive thing about such: somebody out there thinks that the Recession is over.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recession does seem to be fading for the well-to-do -- the prospective clientele of the AOE -- but for the rest of us, the climb out will be long and steep.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number of semis on the interstates in Western North Carolina has increased a great deal in the last 6 or 8 weeks.....

I take this as a sign of recovery as well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wholly agree; Mr. Kisor.

The S&P is now within 100 points of its Aug 31-08 close; yet unemployment is still 10% and un+under+no longer seeking employment is possibly as high as 20%.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As November nears the remaining stimulus paper er money is released for buying votes should show favorable numbers for awhile. The only way the AOE would work is if all those with private jets were to use it. Al Gore can hookup his pvt car when he travels from his big house in Tennessee to his new big house in California.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Kisor. I think the timing of the return of the AOE could be better.

I hope, this time around, that the American Orient Express does away with the idea of tagging itself to the back of an Amtrak train. I think that was a bad idea and may have contributed to the downfall.

I also would like to see different price packages and route options available.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Phil Anshutz buy a set of these cars? He also owns Xanterra, an operator of hotels in our nat'l parks. I see possible connections here. This is the old Harriman/Sun Valley ploy all over again. I doubt, given the amount of capital that has been spent on these cars to date, that this is just a "run it up the flagpole" inquiry. They've got to move forward, or lose a lot of $$$.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page