RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » National Train Day - Arizona Railway Museum

Author Topic: National Train Day - Arizona Railway Museum
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent a couple hours at the Arizona Railway Museum in Chandler AZ on National Train Day. I have visited the museum a few times in the past but hadn't been there for about a year. The museum is only open on weekends and is staffed and maintained by volunteers.

For Train day, they had most cars open for touring. Most weekends they have a limited number of cars open to the public. There appeared to be a pretty good turn-out, as the parking lot was full when I arrived and pretty much full when I left with cars coming and going during my visit.

You can find photos of my trip at my website: http://web.mac.com/ameyer1/MyTrainTrips/Introduction.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page for my most recent postings.

You will find photos of my last weekend trip from Arizona to Los Angeles/Long Beach also.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice photos! Makes me wish I could have been there.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Mr. Meyer. On our many visits to Scottsdale, how have I missed this one? Our next trip in Oct. it will definitely be on the agenda. thanks.

Also like your baseball photos. We went to a very enjoyable spring training game - Cubs va. Rockies in Mesa. Nice older stadium. Many of the new minor league parks are pretty devoid of any charm or good baseball vibes - at least in FL. Vero Beach was the best, although the Braves' stadium is very nice, if a little too big. I'd like to visit some of the other AZ ones next year.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland,
Oct. would be a good time of the year to visit the AZ Railway Museum. I believe they will be closing after May for the summer months. It is in a pretty open part of the desert and all that metal tends to heat up in the desert sun [Smile] And, keep in mind they are only open on weekends.

Regarding the baseball parks (and Amtrak), I have taken the train to/from Reno and like their new AAA ballpark which is one block from the Amtrak station.

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pictures - I bet that without that shroud, the dome car would get intolerable in a hurry sitting in the desert like that.

I wish I had developed a taste for baseball.....the stadiums are such inviting places on game day. Sadly I could just never get interested in the game itself.....in spite of the patient efforts of a former girlfriend who was a lifelong Orioles fan.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, going off-topic for a moment, reminds me of the one good baseball story I do have -

My wife grew up....through 4th grade anyway.... in Rutherford, NJ and a couple of times each month during the summer, her father would take my wife and her brother into the city to the baseball game. Sometimes the Mets, sometimes the Yankees...... total equal opportunity.

Shortly before my wife and I began dating.....she was in her mid-20's by this time..., she and her brother conspired to travel together to New Jersey one Father's Day and surprise their dad by taking him to a baseball game since he clearly loved the game so much.

So........they got into town and headed for the game, grabbed some concessions, had a seat, and watched some baseball. After about three innings their dad announces "It's good spending time together but we can go anytime you kids like."

My wife and her brother are stunned and one of them finally manages to stammer "But dad, we thought you liked baseball."

Dad replies, "Nooooo, I never liked baseball. Taking you kids to the game was just an excuse to get out of the house and away from your mother for a few hours!!!!"

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i noticed you were in alton, do you have a connection to that town??

bird

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
The tarp on the Plaza Taos dome may also be a result of rain leakage. In pic "PlazaTaos06" you can see a bit of the rust/corrosion on the glass seals. In person it looked like it will be quite a project to refurbish. We don't get much rain in the desert, but a couple months ago we had inches of rain in a couple weeks. I'm sure over the summer the tarp will definitely keep the dome a bit cooler.

Birdchops,
I have family who live closer to Alton than St. Louis, so quite often I'll fly into St. Louis and take the train to Alton or come down from Chicago, where I have more family. Alton is a neat little station. Nothing fancy, but the Amtrak staff are very friendly and efficient!

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last several years the Bartons have redeployed their Vista series car, the Jean Marie, and several other units to the PV house tracks at Kansas City Union Station. Do you know if they will do so again this year?
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like Missouri has figured out that baseball and trains are a good mix:

MoDOT River Runner Promotion

Maybe they'll start baseball specials too.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
PullmanCo,
I don't know the answer to your question, perhaps someone else here knows.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page