RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Charity rate-"-- old timers question

Author Topic: "Charity rate-"-- old timers question
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was showing some 1950-ish Southern RR timetables to a raifan the other day.It noted that charity tickets would not be accepted on the Crescent and the Southerner. Thatpart I understand since those were their two top trains.

But my friend's question was what was the charity rate, what was the concept of it, who qualified,what was it all about?

Anybody know? I know other pre Amtrak roads had similar restrictions, and on their better trains.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Haithcoat, there were any of a number of concessionary rates offered by the railroads; Charity was simply one of them. Others coming to mind are Blind and Attendant, Clergy, Messenger, and Drover. These rates, along with most employee Passes were restricted for use on the premier trains (well, until the "premier' train became 'the only' train).

I can recall during college a girl in my house's 'sister' sorority who lived in Philadelphia and 'always took the train'. Since she had a serious boyfriend that one would simply be a "just friends'. Knowing already she always traveled Pullman, I remember once asking her how she planned to get home for a break (travel together minus boyfriend????); she said "The Seminole to The Admiral' to which I said "well why not the Panama to the Broadway?" 'My Father is with the Pennsy (middle management - Interline Settlements) and my Pass is no good on the Broadway.'

Secondary trains such as the Piedmont (SRY) or The Palmland (SAL) were 'the usual" for Employee and other reduced rates.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes,I know there were several special rates.I seem to recall that the Super Chief, for example, had a good sized paragraph full,with some intriguing names.

But my friend's question is, I think,who or what qualified you for charity? Who would know that you needed it? 'Clergy', on the other hand would be easy to qualify.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not too sure how many collectors hold railroad tariffs (I have none), but within such, the requirements to qualify for any of the reduced rates would be delineated.

I too recall a section within the Agent's Edition of the Santa Fe System Timetable (they also had a Passenger Edition) titled Train Rules in which the various reduced rates were enumerated and on what trains they would be honored.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post suggests the current situation: those on welfare, low income, or whatever, can qualify for charity tickets.

The other obvious thing that comes to mind is non-profit organisations such as charities (obviously!), persons of which might be the terminally ill, disabled, or "need a break" in some other way but who, for whatever reason, don't qualify for some other reduced fare.

That's the modern day version: whether it was different 50+ years ago and on the Southern I don't know.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding question, Mr. Haithcoat and welcome to the Board, by the way. My only first-hand experience was a couple of decades with Amtrak, so I can't really speak of the prior-rights Roads, but still I think it frequently boiled down to the conductor's call. There were ways to enter these passengers into the train's paperwork. One Form I remember was called Passengers Carried But Not Ticketed. It had check-boxes to indicate various scenarios.

For an illustration, one cold winter's night a young woman presented herself to us at a little Kansas town along the route of the Chief. She was wearing a thin summer dress and was pretty disheveled as well. Told us she had just left her abusive husband..had no funds. Conductor just said-- "Give her a seat check for LA." We took her to LA and she walked off into the City. (Said she had some relatives there.) So yes, there are many varieties of charity cases that can make psgr. railroading an interesting job; for those lucky few who make it a career.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Thanks, Railroad Bob, for the illustration about the Chief. Makes the heart feel good.

Also, thanks for welcoming me.But I actually am a member, just have not posted much lately.

I was born in Chattanooga then moved to Atlanta. I specialize in southeast mid 50's.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. H- I just looked at the "33" posts, but not the Join Date- you've been here for 2 1/2 years. [Wink]
Not exactly a "newbie..." [Smile] Welcome anyway! [Big Grin]

I have more "charity" stories besides that one; as I look back on my Amtrak years, (I kept a Journal, btw; of almost every trip I ever made for NRPC as an Employe.) Looking back through it, I guess for some it would make for interesting reading. [Wink] Another tidbit- there were "ways" that a Dining Car Steward could feed a truly destitute passenger, or even a family. I believe that tradition dated way back to the various operating RR's; certainly to be included in the assorted charitable actions that could be taken on behalf of a customer of the Line.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall that Santa Fe had something called a banana messenger rate. Back in the 60's having nothing better to do, I called the Santa Fe and demanded a banana messenger rate, and by the way how do I qualify? After much confusion in this particular office, someone eventually called be back to say that I could not write a message on a banana to obtain this rate, but had to actually accompany a shipment of bananas from some banana republic to a port served by the Santa Fe.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page