RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » GBN Breaks His Own Rules

Author Topic: GBN Breaks His Own Rules
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a price comparo for Roomettes on "one night out' joyrides originating Chicago on Wednesday June 16, 2010 and from which you could board a return train the same day.

First, the disclaimer

The following is the result of queries made by this author to www.amtrak.com on May 13 2010 at or about 630P CT. Any reader, especially those who do not actively participate at this Forum, should be aware that fares for future Amtrak travel are governed by demand pricing. This means that a fare returned upon a particular query may well not be available for any subsequent queries. Any fare appearing within this posting is for information only and in no way constitutes an offer by Amtrak or agent for a transportation contract such as a return to a query at their website or a quote by an authorized employee or agent does.

Now with that having been said, here are the results of my search;

ONE WAY Roomette accommodation charge only (rail fare additional) for trips originating Chicago June 16--

Albuquerque #3(16) $545
Denver #5(16) $420
Wolf Point #7(16) $372
Dallas #21(16) $208
Cumberland #30(16) $330
Albany #48(16) $338
Jackson #59(16) $177

It should be evident if you are simply looking to take a joyride, Jackson or Dallas is where to go.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$354 PLUS Rail Fare. Joy?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that CHI-JAN-CHI (177 x 2 = 354 + rail) is all that out of line; if one expects, as I do, to pay not less than $100/ni + tax and chow (Breakfast at any full service major chain is $15) for a hotel. However, I guess if one measures lodging by youth hostel rates (and Bkfst from the Dollar Menu @ MickeyD), such could be considered steep.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, how is it a 'one night out' if you return on the same day?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
One night out in each direction for an all rail journey, or if you choose to fly in one direction, then it is "one night out' - period.
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so $354 PLUS Rail Fare is for 2 nights, round trip?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This information is why I generally travel in the sleeper when I am cashing in Guest Reward points these days.

FACT - In July I am flying to Colorado to visit the narrow guages. My roundtrip airfare is cheaper than all of these accomodation fares with the exception of Jackson and Dallas.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Mr. Norman's list, the furthest city from Chicago is Albuquerque (about 1335 miles). Next is Wolf Point, Montana (1130 miles). Considering Wolf Point is the second furthest distance, but only $372 for the roomette, it seems to me that Wolf Point would be the most economical destination for a trip out of Chicago.

Now, what exciting things can you do in Wolf Point, Montana? Well....there's the John Deere Tractor Museum:

http://pad39a.com/gene/jd.html

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my "Railroad Rich" web site Empire Builder route guide http://www.railroadrich.com/log_15c_mal_wtn.html

"WOLF POINT station, 320 Front Street. Elevation approximately 2000. Wolf Point is primarily an agricultural town; however, it is also the home of Honeyland, Inc., which is a honey company which operates more than 4000 colonies of bees in the area, and produces half a million pounds of honey every year. The town was named after a party of wolf trappers who captured several hundred wolves one cold winter day and piled them up at their camp, which faced the Missouri River.

Each July, Wolf Point is the home of the Wild Horse Stampede, which features rodeo performers by local Assiniboine and Sioux Indians. The Wild Horse Stampede has taken place ever since before the town was incorporated in the early 20th century. One of the better known performers was Monte Montana, the son of E.O. Mickel, who made the Wild Horse Stampede into a rodeo. Monte appeared in many western films, and later was featured in the 1993 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena. Monte was raised in Wolf Point"

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rich,

Thanks for the 'buzz' on Wolf Point!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
...and a howl or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937A1ELVyUs

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Wolfpoint...you won't have to worry about this type of weather in the Summer!

-

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea, but I think I prefer trips that have some goal at the end, however obscure. For that reason I'd pick your Denver excursion with an all day layover in that fine city. Plenty of time for a couple meals in LoDo, and an afternoon baseball game. I don't think the John Deere Museum in Wolf Point makes the cut, but the Stampede might.

Which one are you going to take, GBN?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Although I have not been on any Amtrak train this year (I never went to Fla), there remains some possibility that I'll be able to do so to actually get somewhere I have reason to go.
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been itching to get back on an Amtak train for over 4 years now. Dont think its going to happen this year, or next, and not for the lack of trying to or wanting to. Being this isolated with Pittsburgh (2hrs away) being the closest station just makes it difficult. I have mentally been planning a trip to Chicago or New York City but right now its just an obscure pipe dream...

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Possibly I was errant with my use of the term "one night out' joyrides. Likely that means to ride outward to a destination, then board an overnight train for the return. This means in order for such to work, there must be multiple frequencies - and how many of those are there within the LD system?

If one is willing to ride Coach, then I guess such could be done in the Corridor and along the Atlantic Coast, The Palmetto Southward to Charleston, or Yemassee if you are daring, with a return on the Meteor is a "doable".

But that's it.

During the Amtrak era, a few LD routes have had multiple frequencies such as Chi-Mpls. There was a window about thirty years ago when a journey of Builder in one direction North Star return would work, but 'that was then".

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also the summer of 1972, when Amtrak brought back ATSF Trains 19-20, the Chief, for a season.

IIRC they ran 10 earlier than the Supers' timecard.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman; me thinks you have too much time on your hands. An interesting discovery, but one, one would not normally ascribe to a man of your mien.
Best regards...always
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page