RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question abt the NE Regional and Pennsylvanian

Author Topic: Question abt the NE Regional and Pennsylvanian
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having never rode it specifically, what consist does Amtrak run b/t Washington DC and/or Philadelphia to Baltimore and back? I am looking at afternoon departures in both directions connecting to the Capital Limited and/or Pennsylvanian to/from Pittsburgh. I am trying to compare prices and times with Greyhound to set up a trip in December.

Has anyone been on the Pennslyvanian? Is it worth it for the Business Class upgrade on it or the NE Regional?

THANKS! [Smile]

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Amtrak has moved away from the fixed consist model the Gunn administration set in place and now varies consist to meet anticipated demand, that fixed consist was Engine, Business Class Coach, Cafe, 6 Coaches.
Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The consist listed by GBN actually is pretty close to still being SOP. There is a consistent attempt to locate the cafe centrally, now, but otherwise is pretty accurate. I personally wouldn't rush to do BC in the corridor, however on the Pennsylvanian, it is the split club/cafe style BC which is a little more desirable/comfortable IMHO.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. Only now did I realize my travel dates encompass the exact same ones as last year when the northeast was all but blanketed by that massive snow storm shutting down interstates and cancelling 1000 flights stranding countless travelers. Remember the train from New Orleans that CNN reported on, the one that sat outside Alexandria, Virginia for more than five hours because of frozen switches? Hard to think about that when we are basking in the mid-80 degree temperatures. I guess I better make sure I have a backup plan...

--------------------

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
A few more questions:

Has no one ridden the Pennsylvanian in the last year?

Has anyone taken it originating from Pittsburgh?

Has anyone been to the Pittsburgh Amtrak station in the last year?

MDRR I am not sure what you meant by however on the Pennsylvanian, it is the split club/cafe style BC

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. DMW, apparently the cars assigned to The Pennsylvanian for Business Class service are the Amfleet-I, delivered to Amtrak 1975-77 (edited for clarity), configured 18 Club seats Cafe 36 Coach seats. The 2-1 Club seating is of course such for Business Class.

While on the Regional trains other than overnight 66/67, the Business Class cars are "just another Coach', on the longer distance trains, Amtrak appears to make best efforts to assing 2-1 configured cars for Business Class.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
There's an old saying from a movie or TV show that goes "Explain it to me like I'm a four year old". Even though a lot of folks ride Amtrak, we all dont speak 'train' sometimes. ;-)

I dont know what an 'A-I' is although you explained its configuration, and that 'Club Seating' is the same as Business Class? Is the 2-1 seating you refer to similar to the Business Class on the Amtrak Cascades? Is the Business Class seating on the Pennsylvanian actually in the same car as the Cafe car?

I have been on the Richmond-Newport News route twice and did upgrade to Business Class, only to find out it was just a regular Coach class car with added service.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
There's an old saying from a movie or TV show that goes "Explain it to me like I'm a four year old".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107818/quotes?qt0179769
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DMW -

The 2-1 seating in business described by others is similar to the Cascades Business class.

Those cars - with the 18 business class seats in one half of a cafe car date from the mid-1970's. I have encountered them in a couple or three other places.... on the Carolinian for a time in the early 1990's, on one of the Newport News trains in spring 1990, and on the Palmetto just a year or two ago.

They are no longer used going to Newport News as those trains have now been standardized with other NEC consists.... apparantly though they are still being used for the Pennsylvanian and Palmetto. It would be worth the effort to ride Business Class in one simply for the uniqueness of the equipment now......

Here's hoping that the car will be in service and available on the day you happen to ride.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Seems like I have heard it repeated elsewhere as well? Guess I'm not Smarter than a 5th Grader either. :-(

I have travelled Amtrak a lot in the past 10 years, but no where near as much as most of our distinguished seasoned veterans on this forum. It's been over 4 years now that I have even seen an Amtrak train, much less been on one, something I sorely miss.

I havent been on a LOT of Amtrak routes so I cant help out here much when a lot of topics come up. I apologize for my ignorance in speaking the correct lingo, not knowing what routes are which by memory, or that I havent been a regular contributor here in the last 7 years, although I do stop in every single day to see what everyone is up to.

Sometimes when I ask a simple question and get a reply that should be obvious to most, I have to look it up on Google or Wikipedia to see what is being discussed. Makes me feel really stupid in a forum on a subject I used to enjoy...

--------------------

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Hi DMW -

Thank you for your reply.

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Hi DMW -

Thank you for your reply.
You're welcome -

And to comment a little on your post immediately before this one -

My wife and I are considering..... not immediately but perhaps in 2-4 years.... relocating from the mountains to the Raleigh area. Wake Forest end most likely BUT you can believe that I have already scanned Google Earth and other real estate maps of the Apex and Cary areas.

Heck, if we're moving, I'd like to at least live within earshot (if not within sight) of a railroad with active passenger train service.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here ridden the Cardinal lately? We'll be on it next week. The new timetable says it has a combined "Diner/Lounge" -- is that the A-1 disussed earlier, where half the car is tables and the other half is lounge seating? And what kind of fare is offered in the "diner" section? Is the food basically just typical Amfleet Snack bar fare? (frozen pizzas, sandwiches, etc.)?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hi Rich,

I rode the Cardinal round-trip Prince to Charlottesville in April.

The food-service car there differs from the one on the Palmetto. It is your standard Amdinette with the service area in the middle and booth-seating on either side.

The side closest the coaches serves your typcial drink, chips, microwave sandwich fare and serves as the lounge area. The side nearest the sleeper is used for sit-down meal service for the first class passengers. It has an expanded (albeit very sparse) menu consisting of pre-packaged entrees which are reheated in the microwave and served on plastic. Some are better than others.

Sorry but I can't tell you what is on that menu.... I was in coach and settled for an Amburger and doritos!

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some friends of mine took the Cardinal recently. They said the food was good, though the election was small and the service was not so good.

I rode the Pennsylvanian round trip to and from Pittsburgh, but not in the last year. I remember the train goes "backward" out of NYC . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Cardinal "meal service" consists of 4-5 entree choices for each meal period. It is prepared and served by the same (one) person. So,unfortunately, the service will either be good or mediocre depending on whom the person is. I have ridden the train twice in the last year and had one of each...

DMWNC- Sorry, not attempting to make you feel "dumb". Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in using the lingo on top of head while eagerly trying to answer a question.
Also all the "split" cars have now had the coach seats removed and replaced with tables on the one side opposite the Club/business class side.

Any other questions, lease ask...

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Notelvis and Sojourner!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page