RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What's the Latest?

Author Topic: What's the Latest?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the latest, with regard to Amtrak's policy of not letting railfans take photos around Amtrak stations and platforms?

In the Don Phillips column, in the June issue of TRAINS, he asked the "why" question, regarding taking pictures near train platforms, at a recent Amtrak "town hall" meeting. Phillps said that Mr. Boardman and Amtrak did not really answer the question. Also, in the same issue, Amtrak said it might enlist photographers to "improve rail security". Mr Boardman hinted that the policy may change and that photos may be allowed.

In about 3 weeks, I will be leaving for Montana, taking the Cascades from Portland to Seattle then the Empire Builder to Whitefish, MT. I would like to take some pictures of the Union Station in Portland, the new "Icicle" station in Leavenworth, WA, and the EB at its stop in Whitefish.

Will I have problems? Would it be best to ask permission at various train stations or notify the on-board train attendant before shooting pictures?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just do it. If anyone questions you, act touristy and clueless. You'll get your pictures and they will think they did their duty to harass the public... It is a win-win.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago it suddenly occurred to those on high in the UK that train fans are probably in the best position to recognise anything that looks suspicious and they are positively welcomed at railway stations (and so, indeed, are plane spotters at airports), subject to the usual and genuine provisos of health & safety and not going into restricted areas etc.

Most of the operating companies websites have an announcement to that effect and a phone number to call to report suspicious acticity.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current AMTRAK photo policy is fairly well documented in the recent issue of Trains mag. I have never had problem taking pictures (video or still photos) on any of my trips. On the trip just completed, I was even able to video the changing of the engines at WAS on the Cardinal, standing only a few ft away (on the public-access platform), and no one gave me even a hint of a hassle.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Portland last month and didn't have any problems taking pictures. I also was able to walk to the front of the Coast Starlight to photograph the engines during the stop in Eugene.

However, I was hassled a few days later for taking pictures and shooting video of the BART in Oakland. When I got home I checked their website and all I could find was that they encourage people to report anyone photographing subjects "of no interest to the general public", whatever that means.

I've also been hassled in Boston, even though I was "off the property". In NYC, a cop was extremely nasty to me and I hadn't even taken off the lens cap. An incident on the DC Metro was particularly infuriating after I'd received an email from them saying they "welcome and encourage" photography.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MetSox:
However, I was hassled a few days later for taking pictures and shooting video of the BART in Oakland. When I got home I checked their website and all I could find was that they encourage people to report anyone photographing subjects "of no interest to the general public", whatever that means.

I'm afraid, Mr. Sox (Mr. Schlapik?), in the mind of whoever turned you in, BART facilities are just that.

Wonder why I put the camera away some twenty five years ago.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MetSox:

BART is very proactive in contacting people who are taking photographs on BART property. I doubt that a citizen called you in.....you were most likely seen on video (there are cameras EVERYWHERE on BART property and in every car), and these cameras are monitored by BART PD. They don't mind the usual tourist taking pictures of their party standing in front of a train before they board (or whatever), but anything more than that and they'll be on you very quickly to stop taking photos. Seeing as I live here and use BART, I'm happy that they are aggressive with this. There are some very bad people out there who want to kill us, and attacking BART is not a far-fetched possibility.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page