RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SP PV "AIRSLIE" on Amtrak #4 SW Chief of 6-21-10

Author Topic: SP PV "AIRSLIE" on Amtrak #4 SW Chief of 6-21-10
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEADS UP to any midwestern Amtrak fans !!
I believe that the PV former SP "AIRSLIE" **IS** on Amtrak train 4 SW Chief of June 21, 2010 (MONDAY).
This is according to this discussion thread from westcoastrailforums dot com:
http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/thread-3390.html

I just heard the BNSF 32.0 Detector at 7:49PM PDT 6-21-10 give a 5-0
or 50 AXLE count for Amtrak Train 4 on Main Track 2.
This milepost 32.0 location is between ESPERANZA and PRADO DAM in the Santa Ana Canyon area in the Los Angeles Basin (Socal).
The usual axle count for Amtrak train 4 is normally 44 Axles.
If you add two 3 axle sets (6 total axles) to the regular 44 axles you get 50 axles.
This radio traffic was heard via the "ORANGE COUNTY" feed at www.railroadradio.net.

So happy trails to you Airsle !!
It was very enjoyable knowing you here in California !!
--- Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photo; Airslie

• The third of three magnificent business cars ordered in the 1920's from Pullman which were the acme of the then car builders art. #100 Airslie was delivered 5/29/1926 at a cost of $81,592.03 (lots of money for 1926) and assigned to the Board Chairman Henry Wheeler DeForrest (with offices in New York). The car was regularly stationed on the private car tracks of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York while the Board Chairman's offices were in that city. DeForrest had the car named for his family's hunting lodge in Scotland, "Airslie". -- Bob Pecotich
Source: SP Railfan Net

http://espee.railfan.net/sp-business-cars.html

It appears that no one at the other discussion site referenced addresses if the car is on the head or rear of #4(21) consist and if the latter, properly pointed or otherwise.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to get trackside tomorrow to find out for myself.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures now have appeared of the train. It is on the rear, and orientated properly
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the Niles Canyon Railway have a car very similar to this? (Niles Canyon is located near Fremont, California).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can see many photos of this trip on Amtrak #4 on the "Heads UP" forum on : www.westcoastrailforums.com

Does anyone know which TRAIN the AIRSLIE will interchange to in Chicago IL?????????????
Pretty PLEASE--PLEASE--Please (with sugar on it !!! )
I understand that this car is enroute to someplace in the state of South Carolina. That would of course, require another Amtrak move BEYOND Chicago IL.

By the way the similar looking former SP Business Car at Niles Canyon Railway is the former "SP 141 OAKLAND.
This webpage from GGRM has more photos:

http://www.ggrm.org/Collection_view.aspx?id=7

This is the best info I can find at this point on the internet about the "SP 141 Oakland" .
I do hope that many SP historians and other folks get to see this car TOMORROW (TUES 6-23-10) as it passes thru the states of MO, IA and IL.

This historic car should be visible on the LA PLATA MO Trainweb Railcams just after 9:40 AM CENTRAL TIME early Weds 6-23-10.
This will require a rather early morning for those us in California tomorrow 6-23.

---- Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information, Daniel. The interior of the SP 141 looks to be in beautiful condition.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At another site, there is a report that Airslie is consigned to the Lancaster & Chester. The report further states that #79 Csrolinian would be used to handle the car Wash-Charlotte; thence as freight by NS to Chester SC.

There was no report regarding which train, 30 or 50, would handle the car CHI-WAS.

I've seen the car in the past; however I just may make it my business to be trackside (.02mi from my home) for the passing of #4(21).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The L&C shops are just up the road. Might have to check it out. Bob Willetts, manager of L&C's niche business of passenger car repairs was on the AARPCO (Private Car Owners) special that came through town a few months ago. I believe he was a speaker at the AARPCO convention in Savannah.

The L&C bought a portion of a NS branch line that goes from Charlotte to a paper mill. South of that mill (no L&C access), the L&C acquired the line down to the small towns of Lancaster (where it connects back to their original line to Chester - NS, CSX I/C) and Kershaw. About 30 years ago, the line continued through my town of Camden then reconnected to the mainline south of Columbia.

While they handle many private cars into their facilities, including charter trips, all passengers must board in Charlotte - a freight move L&C Lancaster-Chester-NS-Charlotte. I suspect that's more than you want to know.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
When L&C completes the work on Airslie, will Gypsy Rose Lee be there for the "unveiling".

Last time I checked, she was Vice President-Unveiling for the L&C.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, dumb question, but....is the name of the car pronounced like it looks? Or is it "Ar lyle"?
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Hmmm I just saw Amtrak Train 4 depart LAP La Plata MO at 10:46 AM CT (8:46 AM - PT here in CALIF) 6-23-10.
The SP PV - AIRSLIE has been REMOVED--REMOVED--PULLED from the consist. DARN IT!!!
I was hoping the AIrslie would continue with the train into Chicago but NO
I presume this AIRSLIE PV was PULLED from Amtrak Train 4 (21) in Kansas CIty MO KCY.

--- Daniel

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thanks for the heads up, Daniel. Maybe some of our KC area residents can get a heads up if Airslie is sitting at KCUS. I can't imagine that they will be handling the car in consist of a River Runner to St Louis, which leads me to speculate if the car was Bad Ordered and had to be set out. If that be the case, there is no assurance it is in KC.

Airslie = Airs'LEE

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

Airslie = Airs'LEE

Okay...I was WAY off.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Here is the routing of the Airslie (copied off another website):

<<<The routing is Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Washington DC, Charlotte NC.>>>

daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Smitty I saw that routing off of that other well known website the other day.
That routing does not seem to make sense to me.
Why pull the Airslie OFF in Kansas City to run thru St Louis (RETURN) to (THRU) Chicago then east to Wash DC then North Carolina.
I would think if that routing was accurate the point would be to AVOID Chicago for some reason.
Perhaps someone needs to check (inspect) the Car in KC or St Louis before it goes any further ????
There has got to be more to this story than we know now.
I hope the full story about this move and routing can be told publicly sometime. I would certainly find it very informative and enlightening.
--- Daniel

quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Here is the routing of the Airslie (copied off another website):

<<<The routing is Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Washington DC, Charlotte NC.>>>

daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
An FYI for those still following this historic Amtrak train
, this SAME Amtrak Train 4 of the 21st just cleared
the Defect Detector at MP 27.2 at 1:27PM PT (3:27PM Central Time) on
the BNSF CHICAGO Subdivision (RACETRACK).
This is the same train that HAD the former SP PV AIRSLIE on the rear:
"BNSF Detector milepost 27.2 - MAIN 3 - NO DEFECTS--NO DEFECTS
Total Axles 44 " !!!

At 1:30 PM PT (3:30 PM CT) the BNSF DS told Amtrak Train 4 they
will arrive CHICAGO Union Station on Track 18 for EAST side unloading.

This was all heard on the NAPERVILLE IL railroad radio feed on radioreference dot com.
FYI this feed has rather quiet (soft) audio volume levels:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=3023

The radioreference list of "RAIL" genre feeds on-line:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=genre&genre=3

---- Daniel

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Observed #4(21) passing MP 18.32 today and running about half hour late; Airslie was NOT in consist.
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
At another site, there is a report that Airslie is consigned to the Lancaster & Chester. The report further states that #79 Csrolinian would be used to handle the car Wash-Charlotte; thence as freight by NS to Chester SC.

I know Bob who runs the restorations in Lancaster. Maybe I can shoot him an email and ask him which cars they have on the property.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
From that same website I copied/pasted from earlier, here's more confirmation of the route that the Airslie is taking:

<<<SP "AIRSLIE" was the last car on AMTRAK 316 through Lees Summit, MO, Wednesday.
Great looking car! Headed on to St.Louis, then on the Chicago and finally to North Carolina for rebuild.. >>>

I can't believe they're doing this during the hot/humid days of summer with no a/c!! It must be boiling hot inside that car.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page