RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trains in parks

Author Topic: Trains in parks
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall hearing that the Surfliner trains run through an oceanfront park somewhere. Does anyone know where that is, and can you tell me about it?

I would also be interested in knowing of any other passenger train lines that run through city parks, if any.

I'm asking because Monterey built an oceanfront park around a legal, but currently unused, rail corridor. The city is legally obligated to keep it available for public transportation purposes, with parkland a permitted secondary use for portions of the right-of-way. However, some folks are now insisting that trains and parks can't coexist. I'd like to know if there are any examples that would demonstrate they can.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downtown Winter Park, FL is pretty parklike.... that's just off the top of my head.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy -- you may be thinking of either Doheny State Beach, San Clemente State Beach, or San Onofre State Beach -- the Surfliners run through or adjacent to all of those.

Other "parks" that AMTRAK runs through -- the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head are the City Parks in Houston and in New Orleans, both of which the E-bound Sunset runs through prior to entering the stations for those 2 cities.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notelvis is on the mark concerning the very attractive city park in Winter Park. This is CSX's mainline although, if the politicians can get it together, it is supposed to be sold for commuter service in the Orlando area. Most freights would move to another line.

This is one of my favorite stations because of its ideal setting. Trendy shops and restaurants are just across the park from the tracks that are along one edge, with the station in the middle. Many shoppers pause to check out the arrivals of the Silver Star and Meteor. Trains there are an attraction not a problem.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Palmland, it is a attractive park. It is also a great place to train watch.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem is that Winter Park, like Orlando, is well inland and not near any ocean.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Chatter, is the above your subtle way of stating that all Amtrak East Coast service should be routed over the FEC?

Or might this be my Sister, who "simply can't imagine" going to Florida without setting foot on a beach?

Enquiring mind is "curious".

But to continue, there is an attractive looking hotel bordering Central Park that certainly must offer "rooms with a view".

I didn't stay there on a March 2009 visit (rather a Marriott Courtyard in Maitland), but could well do so should the occasion arise.

http://www.parkplazahotel.com/

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info, guys. It enabled me to find some photos of trains in some of those parks that fit my needs quite nicely.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you are talking city parks, but I can't help but mention Glacier. The rails may actually be the park boundary though.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Glacier Park Boundary is the Middle Fork Flathead River, but the river is adjacent to the tracks throughout much of the park, or only a few hundred ft away.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page