RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Raton line wash out?

Author Topic: Raton line wash out?
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading online that the Southwest Chief is being detoured due to track damage east of Lamy, New Mexico.

Crap, and I'm scheduled for the July 30-31 train from Fullerton to Lamy. Eventually ending up in Durango, CO as my parents are picking me up at the station. The only reason I'm getting off at Lamy instead of ABQ is to get a lunch on the train. That won't happen if I'm on a detour bus.

Since track has to be repaired, this may never happen due to the little to no traffic on this line other then the Chief. And the sketchiness of ownership and maintenance responsibility is a real problem.

There is time to rebuild it by the time of my trip, but this can easily be a long time thing.

Last time I took the westboud Chief out of ABQ was when the midwest was having major flooding. The train came into ABQ around 9:30 PM. Just my luck I guess [Mad]

Anyone have better info on this troubling news then I do?

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is lots of discussion and speculation about this over on trainorders forum. I had no idea the Raton line has no maintenance agreement (if that is true).

Also read there the Cumbres and Toltec lost a trestle to fire, with most of the equipment stranded at Chama. Yikes.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm holding my breath on the C&TS news......

I'm ticketed to ride Chama-Antonito on July 26th. I could live with an Antonito0Ossier-Antonito ride BUT that part pales compared to the all-out assault on Cumbres Pass out of Chama.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From today's 'Trains' newswire. Sounds like it may open next week:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Amtrak's Southwest Chief is operating as two separate trains connected by buses due to a washout near Las Vegas, N.M. East and west sections are turning at Raton (French), N.M., and Albuquerque, respectively, with buses covering the distance between.

The BNSF route that hosts the Chief sees no more freight traffic, but the freight railroad still owns the line and is conducting repairs. Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said the interruption is to last through the weekend.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard they are planning on having the track unavailable for a week.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The State of New Mexico made a big news splash about buying this line beginning at Trinidad, CO and going all the way to Albuquerque. BNSF does not use it so how is it their problem?
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is information that the State of New Mexico has revoked (withdrawn, cancelled) its contractural agreement with BNSF to buy the line between Trinidad and MP834(Lamy). If this is true what incentive does BNSF have to maintain this line sufficiently for AMTRAK operation? BNSF has apparently decided it will not use that segment and thus have no reason to continue passenger operation standards.

If the SWC is routed over the TRANSCON (Amarillo-Clovis-Belen) what improvements will be necessary to upgrade it to passenger standards, and at what cost?

Answers and opinions sought.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRCHINA:

If the SWC is routed over the TRANSCON (Amarillo-Clovis-Belen) what improvements will be necessary to upgrade it to passenger standards, and at what cost?

Answers and opinions sought.

As this is one of the best-built and maintained stretches of high speed heavy duty freight line on the planet (double-tracked for most of its length and what gaps still exist are rapidly being closed), essentially all that would need to be done is rebuild the station platforms and post passenger speed limit signs. You could run 79 mph pax on virtually all of that line with a snap of your fingers. (ETA: The line, at that time single tracked, hosted the 79 mph San Francisco Chief all the way up to A-day.)

It still sucks to lose Raton Pass, IMHO.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update from Trains' newswire:

Published: Friday, July 02, 2010
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Amtrak's Southwest Chief will operate its full route today, after a washout required a full week of bus substitutions in New Mexico. Buses had been bridging the gap between the train's eastern and western trip segments, with the eastern train turning at Raton, N.M., and the western train turning at Albuquerque.

BNSF Railway spokesman Joe Faust told TRAINS News Wire the railroad dumped 27 cars of ballast to shore the line up at the washout site near Las Vegas, N.M. He said the railroad's workers completed repairs to a 300-foot segment of track yesterday afternoon.

The washout didn't impact BNSF's freight operations, as all freights now use BNSF's "transcon" via Clovis, N.M. The railroad is currently negotiating with the state of New Mexico to sell the line.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on that first westbound trip with pictures of the repairs.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/nrhswest.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Frailey addresses the possible Chief reroute in his August column appearing in TRAINS.

While TRAINS wisely controls web circulation of its copyrighted material, the "gist" is simply that as of Jan 1 2010, Amtrak has been paying for all maintenance of the line between Lamy and LaJunta. Mr. Frailey notes those costs at $10M, which sure seems "light" to me. Additionally, BNSF can meet their requirements Hutchinson KS to LaJunta with FRA Class 2 track over which maximum passenger train speed is 40mph. BNSF stands ready to have The Chief rerouted via the "Transcon".

According to Mr. Frailey, Amtrak's stance is simply "send us the bill'. Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari has stated "the trains are staying where they are'. A BNSF spokesman stated "we're neutral; this is an Amtrak decision".

So it appears that to continue to serve Philmont Ranch at Raton means The Chief will start costing 'heap big wampum'. However, I should note Mr. Frailey makes no mention in the column regarding my personal contention that Boy Scout involvement is a "ticket" that has to be "punched" for any aspiring railroad management "fast trackers" (it certainly was on my road). Further, Mr. Frailey notes that, even after a reroute, Albuquerque could still be served by rail, but for which I hold the most econonical means for such would be an Ambus connecdtion at Belen.

Finally, Mr. Frailey closes with a stern admonishment that I will allow to stand for itself and be the "Brief passage" from the material:

quote:
If Amtrak lets itself get pushed around by its friends (in Wash), look at the ammunition it gives its enemies. As I write this, the message Washington hears from voters is that fiscal responsibility needs to be restored. It is at least an even bet that Republicans will control the US House next year. Should that come to pass, what an inviting target Amtrak will be, having shown no fiscal responsibility of its own.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright [Big Grin]

Still the route of the Chief. At least for a little while longer [Wink]

Frailey's comment "send us the bill" is pretty shocking to me. To think Amtrak is paying for this blows me away. When I take the train in late July I'll see if I can confirm this from the onboard staff.

My sister is heading out to Fullerton from Lamy next weekend. I'll get a report when I pick her up at Fullerton.

Chris,

Great photos. Thanks for posting them.

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A picture is worth a 1000 words! Thanks for the link Chris.... your photography just keeps getting better I think.

As for the Southwest Chief, the route through Northern New Mexico rarely receives the acclaim it deserves. It is some of the most fascinating scenery in the entire Amtrak network. I would also suggest that it is perhaps one of the most endangered segments of the national network. My next western long-distance trip probably needs to include the Southwest Chief just in case.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:
Alright [Big Grin]

Still the route of the Chief. At least for a little while longer [Wink]

Frailey's comment "send us the bill" is pretty shocking to me. To think Amtrak is paying for this blows me away. When I take the train in late July I'll see if I can confirm this from the onboard staff.

My sister is heading out to Fullerton from Lamy next weekend. I'll get a report when I pick her up at Fullerton.

Chris,

Great photos. Thanks for posting them.

Onboard staff is not a good source of info for stuff like this. They are rarely in the loop and only know scuttlebutt.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Thanks Chris G. for the excellent photos of the washout areas.

From Mr. Frailey's story we must assume that even though BNSF made the repairs AMTRAK will 'get the bill'.

I was employed in Santa Fe's Engineering Dept. and am very familiar with the locations where the washouts occurred. They would probably be catagorized as 100-200 year frequency storms. I believe there are no records of any significant 'high water' at these location in the 120 year history of this track being in place.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Printman2000:
Onboard staff is not a good source of info for stuff like this. They are rarely in the loop and only know scuttlebutt.

True, but often this scuttlebutt turns out to be right on the money.

--------------------
Matt

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I would have to agree with Mr. Frailey. Amtrak is such a political football, I doubt if good business practices will ever be the norm.

The southern route would gain ridership with cities like Wichita and Amarillo, be less expensive to maintain, and probably faster, especially if speeds were lowered via Raton route.

In fact, the southern route would make an extended Heartland Flyer more feasible as it would only need to be extended to Wichita to connect to the SWC, rather than the extra 200 miles to KC.

Yes, I would hate to lose that scenic route, but if it is to survive, it seems to make more sense to save it by getting NM/CO interested in sponsoring that much talked about Albuquerque-Trinidad-Colorado Springs-Denver-Boulder-Ft. Collins service.

If Amtrak is to survive and even prosper, it does need to be able to make some sound decisions on its own before the guys with budget hatchets come looking.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
I was on that first westbound trip with pictures of the repairs.
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/nrhswest.html

Enjoy,

Chris

Thanks for the trip report, Chris. Oddly enough, I was on that same SWC too-- keeping an extremely low profile up in a room in the Transition Car. Since I was a bit "under the weather" I didn't move around too much on my trip from Galesburg to Fullerton, except to stop in to the sleeper next door and see Freddy, the sleeper attendant I used to work with.

Chris, we're lucky the TA stopped that guy from "exiting" the moving train through the window--there in western Illinois.
imagine the monster delay if he had succeeded in his attempt! We would have had coroners, cops and detectives from miles around and probably would have looked at a 4-5 hour delay, instead of the moderate delay we did get.

Also I was wondering why you didn't bail out at FUL to catch your Santa Ana Surfliner? We made an awesome 10 minute connect to 566 at FUL! Thanks again for your trip report. Sorry I didn't find you on our mutual train ride; congrats on your new mileage accumulation too. [Smile]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, thanks for the report. I have to wonder how many other semaphores are in service ?

Raton's time has come and gone; indeed, the concept of Chicago-LA being a major train in and of itself may well be done. It's time to move it at least to the Transcon, Amtrak picks up Wichita, even if it loses Dodge City.

I suggest that Amtrak look at a major re-route, by way of Wichita, OKC, and Dallas. Yeah, it's longer, and the total transit climbs, but who takes rail for speed. OTOH, a major re-route gives this train (which has nothing to do with the original flagship of the Santa Fe, the Super Chief) access to several significant travel segments, and people go where they need to go, not anymore where the rails take them.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it all the way to LAX for two reasons. I was ticketed in Pacific Business Class on 768 and to get more rail miles in this case 51.4 more going into lA than getting off in Fullerton.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Thanks- that explains it! [Smile]
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:

Picked her up this morning. #3 was its usual about an hour late into Fullerton. My guess is it was on time or early into Los Angeles.

Came in on main 3. A little odd. Made for some interesting checked baggage maneuvers. There was a stopped freight on main 1 just west of the depot.

She said there were a lot of rowdy boy scouts on the train. So looks like the camp near Raton is still catering to the boy scouts.

She took coach. Her first time doing so as normally we travel together in the family room. She didn't like it obviously when compared to a sleeper, but all in all she said it wasn't horrendous.

--------------------
Matt

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philmont Scout Ranch was given to the Boy Scouts of America by Waite Phillips, oil magnate and later LA real estate tycoon, in the 1930s. It will be there forever.

I will make a comment elsewhere...

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page