RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Murder on the Orient Express

Author Topic: Murder on the Orient Express
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

Last night I watched the very good PBS show that is a prelude to this Sunday's presentation of the new David Suchet version of Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express".

I think I will miss the cast of the earlier film version. Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, Anthony Perkins, Lauren Bacall et. al.

Suchet traveled from London Victoria to Venice and then Venice to Prague and I felt that the show gave a good sampling of what it is like to travel on this beautiful train.

He did point out that there are no private facilities (he did have a basin which features in Christie's story) but the toilet was at the end of the car. No showers. Beautiful carriages, though, and the food and presentation looked wonderful.

I just priced the London-Venice trip and it starts at $2500 a person. Tempting.

Frank in cool and clear SBA

P.S. The Orient-Express Hotels (a separate operation, I believe) project here in Santa Barbara (about half a mile from our home) has become a major boondoggle. They have gone back to square one on trying to bring the historic El Encanto Hotel back to life.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're interested in that, you might also be interested in the Eastern Orient Express, between Singapore and Bangkok - especially since Singapore will be losing its mainline railway passenger service in the near future.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just set my DVR for 8PM tomorrow night. Thanks for the heads-up!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of railroad movies, I found a special edition of Classic Trains Magazine at Borders Books, called "100 Greatest Train Movies". It gives a full synopsis of each movie, and tells which railroad, and what equipment was used in the filming. I am able to get most of these movies on DVD from Netflix, and have really enjoyed watching them. Recently saw a flick called, "Northwest Frontier", which was quite good. Of course, nothing can beat the old classic "The General", with Buster Keaton, which is now available on Blu-ray, with a great new musical score recorded by the Thames Silents Orchestra.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think "Oh, Mr Porter" is hard to beat as a train film.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great. My DVR was set for the show, sorry to miss the prelude.

In the straits now heading to Victoria. Smitty, you should be able to see us on the ship website. We are in the midst of lots of vessels. The Amsterdam.

Oddly, AT&T is coming through from Washington State, over riding the ship's Cellular at Sea so I was able to log in.

In the am we will taxi to King St Station and board the Coast Starlight for home. Report to follow.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Is there any way to reprogram the VCR remotely? Or have a friend drop in? They are doing the "prequel" again after tonight's show. If I can remember how to program the VCR here I'll tape it for you.

I'll be looking for the reports.

Frank in, finally, sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

Just reread your post. I guess we are the only ones who still have a VCR. So, I hope you can somehow adjust the DVR.

Frank in sunny SBA

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so Frank. I also have one
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A VCR???? I saw one of those in the Smithsonian a few years ago.
[Big Grin]

I have DirecTV, and the DVR setup is incredibly cool. I have a free App on my iPhone that allows me to set recordings on either my living room or bedroom TV from anywhere (as long as I have a cellular or WiFi connection with my phone). I've been in Vegas and have forgotten to record shows, and I just whip out my iPhone and set the DVR right there. I can also do it by logging onto DirecTV's website and doing it from there.

Vicki--thanks for the ship info. I will go look for you right now.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Vicki---confirm the name of the ship is "Amsterdam"? I don't see that ship name anywhere. Not even in the ship name database. ??
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Smith, here she is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/709913/3193426021/

Additionally, the fourth incarnation of the Nieuw Amsterdam has made its maiden voyage. Holland America, be it the Nederlandsch-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappi (NASM) or a Carnival brand, "recycles" names:

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/holland-america-line-nieuw-amsterdam?15869

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty,dare I say I also have a phonograph that plays 78,45, and 33 1/3 Oh yes also a reel to reel tape recorder. BTW I do have a dvd
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
One of the nice things about HAL is the sense of history. On each of their ships (at least those whose names have been "recycled") you will find nice oil paintings of the previous ships with the same name. They also have iPod art tours of the collections on board which usually include nautical themed works.

I've become addicted to "Captain Albert's Blog" which is a company sanctioned blog by the current Captain of the Prinsendam, the smallest ship in the fleet.

As for last night's Murder on the Orient Express, I was a bit disappointed. I couldn't help but think Wendy Hiller, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Sean Connery, etc. did it better...

And what was that business about Poirot and the small lamp? Was he really melting moustache wax? Or was it meant to be something else. He certainly seemed upset about being "discovered".

Frank in dreary and overcast SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I've become addicted to "Captain Albert's Blog" which is a company sanctioned blog by the current Captain of the Prinsendam, the smallest ship in the fleet.

Now that is the ONE name I would not have expected HAL to 'recycle".

http://www.alaska.net/~jcassidy/pop-mech.htm

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well darn it. I looked for the prelude show prior to the mystery but not after. I could have set the DVR remotely via Verizon FIOS mobile app.

Yes Gil, there is still a Prinsendam despite the history. I am considering a trip on it. It actually was once a Royal Viking ship that I traveled on in the 70's.

Am now at King St station. We disembarked first at 7:45 so we have quite a wait here. The ceilng is now all exposed and part of the building is roped off for the refurbishment. This is one of the longest projects ever.

Will be in bedroom E again.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

Thanks for the link. I knew part of that story but it was good to see the whole thing. Captain Albert has alluded to this event on his blog and has links to it, I believe.

Vicki--

Do you have your land legs yet? Now you'll need to get your train legs! Hopefully you will sleep better southbound.

Frank in overcast and gray SBA

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What surprised me on this latest "rather dark" version of Poirot's "Murder on the Orient Express" was that all the interior scenes were studio sets, and even the "snow" was just bits of paper. I'm not sure if the steam engine was real or not. If you go to the Masterpiece Theatre website, all is revealed along with interesting interviews with David Suchet and others.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Finally watched the recording of this show. I have read all the Agatha Christie's several times so the plot was known to me. But, having just taken two trips on our version of a sleeper, I thought the train cars represented were wonderful.

Oh to have all that lovely wood. And of course, dressing for dinner. Well, not really, I can hardly stand to do that on the cruise ship. But it was rather like the Christmas Train - stuck in the snow and everyone getting to know each other.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page