RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Funding Poll

Author Topic: Amtrak Funding Poll
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Website "Helium" is asking readers to vote Yes or No on the question "Should Amtrak receive more federal funding?" As of now, the No's are winning. Let's out vote the No's! Vote YES online at http://www.helium.com/debates/66211-should-amtrak-receive-more-federal-funding/side_by_side?page=1

As mentioned the votes are 2/3rds against, however the total number is not great and it is easy to vote on this opinion poll. You don't even have to register ot anything.

Please forward this to your networks of rail fans.

If we get all of our friends in our networks to vote on this we can quickly close the gap.

This type of thing actually does count.

Thanks,

SFThunderchierf

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my part, I'm a bit sick of seeing this particular sign on the interstate highways, which are supposed to be self-supporting via motor fuel taxation and a few other driving-related sources. (So far, I've seen them on I-80 and I-84.)

-

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone should spraypaint BOHICA on that highway sign.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Thunderchief, how about rather than the "vote for the Kennedy of your choice, but vote" approach we try "vote for the candidate of your choice, but vote".

Your approach makes this forum become an adviocacy Forum - which I do not think is the intent of the site owner.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr. Thunderchief, how about rather than the "vote for the Kennedy of your choice, but vote" approach we try "vote for the candidate of your choice, but vote".

Your approach makes this forum become an adviocacy Forum - which I do not think is the intent of the site owner.

Mr. Norman,

I was a bit hesitant to post this message, exactly for the reason that you cite. I considered that there would be some who might object to the plea, but that there would be others who would welcome knowing about this poll, somewhat balancing the wisdom of whether to, or not to.

The Forum itself is full of advocacy of opinion among its members. But this is an outside link. And since it will be voluntary, and those who want to will do so independently with no connection to Rail Forum, then it is truly freedom of choice.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Someone should spraypaint BOHICA on that highway sign.

Especially in light of what the federal government spent on those signs alone.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sfthunderchief:

Mr. Norman,

I was a bit hesitant to post this message, exactly for the reason that you cite.

Mr. Thunderchief, I indeed respect your thought that possibly a "vote for the candidate of your choice" might have been a better way to go. You certainly have done a service to the Forum by alerting its members that this poll is "out there and open".

Incidentially, I voted and FOR continued additional funding. Now where I would like to see the funding go, i.e. Corridors v. LD's, likely differs from the membership here at large.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry again for my ignorance, but what does "BOHICA" mean?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Rich, I guess you were never in military Service?
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have sent you a PM, RRRich.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the rest of you that also were never in the military -- just Google it. First ref is Wikipedia entry with full explaination.
Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Thanks, Henry, for the dead-on accurate description of Pelosi & Reid's Congress.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- no I was never in the military service (I was classified 4-F due to a back problem I had had since birth).

Mike S -- thanks for the PM.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This appears to be a very scientific poll. I voted at work. Now I voted at home. Maybe I should vote again with my laptop, then go to the library. One ip address, one vote?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's face it, is Cli, er, Bush, nope hold on, is it Obama (?), going to look at that poll and say "gee, I ought to look at the results and do something about it"?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that some "late precincts' are now being counted.

Looks like this poll is sort of "Chicago style".

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, Chicago. As my friends in the '60's used to say about Cook County: "They vote early and they vote often."

Well, I voted often in this Amtrak poll. Just my patriotic duty, folks.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
So a "Chicago way" has been found to obviate the site's control over stuffing the ballot box?
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
It won't let you vote twice from the same computer in the same online session. But today it let me vote this morning and this afternoon from the same computer and the tally went up by one each time. The old Mayor Daley would have been proud. I only voted 4 times in all though. I am sure it allows equal opportunity cheating.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again...

Oh...... now that's totally FUBAR.

And for the record, a pair of those green stimulus project signs populate I-26 East and I-26 West on it's north-south run between Asheville and Hendersonville, NC.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well as of this morning, it looks like the Precinct Captains have come through for 'the cause".

The site seems rather vague regarding when the poll will close - or when it opened for that matter. One has to wonder in view of that the leading "YES" posting refers to President Alex Kummant. He has been gone since Nov 14, 2008.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page