RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Tipping

Author Topic: Tipping
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the standard tip given for sleeping car passengers?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$ 5 per person/per day. Minimum of $ 10 if occupying a Deluxe.

More if the attendant has had to "go fetch" more than once a day.

Also, $2 per complimentary breakfast and lunch, $ 3 per dinner to the waiter. Additional 15-20% of any alcoholic beverages purchased with the meal.

The only reasonable way to make these tips is CASH; come prepared.

On my most recent Amtrak trip February CHI-30(Dlx)-WAS-91(Std)-ORL-1(Dlx)-NOL-58(Std)-CHI, I parted with $52 in tips.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-03-2002).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert is right on as far as tipping, can't add much. Just tip in the dining car as if you were paying for your meal. 15-20% is standard anywhere you go to eat.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our recent trip, our server on #21 made a point of thanking me the next day. I think that the majority of passengers don't think they should tip.

One thing I was unsure about was how much to tip redcaps and cabbies. Any advice? (I think that I probably erred in their favor)

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the itinerary I reported above, the car attendant on #58, as part of his "Welcome Aboard" speil, said that "your dining car meals are complimentary except for gratuity and any alcoholic beverage you may wish to purchase..."

In perfect taste, as far as I'm concerned. He did not solicit tips for his dining car colleagues; he simply stated that tips are customary but not included in the "comp".

Once again, AOK in my book!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-04-2002).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mho 357, I agree with you that many people do not tip. It's been my experience, while dining in the dining car, that many of these same people who do not tip or leave only a token amount are the one's who complain most about poor service. They need to understand that if you do not tip properly that you cannot expect the desired service.
Reggie is correct, 15-20% (of the total bill) is a proper tip for proper service. To give less, people need to learn to expect less and not complain about it.
When you are riding the rails and return to the same server meal after meal and you have not been leaving a tip it is beyond reason to expect good service.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 07-04-2002).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, YES, YES tip these fine people 15-20
percent and more if they exhibit a great
personality in addition to good service.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on a minute, hasn't something got confused here? People deserve a tip *if* they provide good service. Tips may well make up a fair proportion of their wages, but they need to earn it and not expect it.

Not tipping for good service may well result in poor service next time. Not tipping for poor service is acceptable IMHO, not (as the way I read it, apologies if I'm wrong) they way CK is suggesting, that you need to tip anyway.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 5 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to mho357's prior question: Does anyone have any advice/opinions on tipping red caps and cabbies?
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Cabbies (even in NY) have always been 15% of the meter to me.

Since I have long ascribed to "if you can't carry it, don't bring it", can't help you with Red Caps or Skycaps.

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tip for redcaps is generally $1 per bag. Several years ago I had a rather long layover in Los Angeles. I spoke with a redcap and asked about the way to secure my bags while I did a little sightseeing & had a bite to eat at Olivera St. He said no problem, took my bags, gave me baggage checks and told me where to meet him 30 minutes before train departure. I returned to the station, met the redcap, rode out to the train with him and after arriving at the train he brought my two bags to my sleeper room. It was sure worth a five spot to me and he seemed happy with that also.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff, I understand your position but you misunderstood mine. Sure, if the service you receive is below standard, tipping below 15% is the right thing to do.
However, my point is that I have often witnessed passengers that I have dined with who leave only a token tip or no tip at all despite the fact that the service has been excellent.
I've seen these same passengers return for their next meal(s) and complain about the poor service they now feel they are receiving from the same waiter or waitress who I felt had provided our table with excellent service before.
Heck, is it really going to hurt the passenger who has spent hundreds, if not thousands, to tip a few extra dollars for these hard working people?
It's the old saying...what goes around comes around.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 07-07-2002).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reggierail:
Tip for redcaps is generally $1 per bag...
Reggie

I knew I did too much. I guess I made up for the ones that didn't give any - I did about $2.00 per bag.

Thanks for the info,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never hurts to overtip, unless you are in a third world country. You never know when you will meet the same person again.

We have a favorite restaurant where I routinely tip 25% and we never have trouble getting a reservation or even one of our two favorite tables.... good service, too. It's worth the little bit extra.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well tipping is out for me. In Australia where I live, people are paid a proper living wage, therefore tipping is only something some smart a ss people do to impress others. Generally, tipping is seen as an "American" thing because you guys don't pay enough to your service industry people. Mike.
Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Naturally, Mr. V-Line, in a world called "perfect", you are 100% correct. But, in the meantime, until we get to "perfect', I hope that, should you choose to visit us here in the States, that you not deprive a service person of a just wage.

A few other random thoughts on this matter:

There is a "fifties" Sci-Fi flick out there entitled "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (produced back in the days when the aliens were the bad guys and not cuddly little ET creatures). In this flick, the alien looked and dressed just like you and I, but what "alerted the earthlings to the invasion in part" was his failure to tip at a restaurant.

Somehow, even back then, possibly the producer was trying to say that the tipping system could befuddle "the man from Mars". I have to agree in that where a remunerative system for service persons is in place where payment for such is paid for separately and in an amount determined by the consumer, defies logic.

But that's life!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-11-2002).]

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tipping is not just an American custom. You will find it in most of Europe, throughout East Africa and it is ubiquitous in the Middle East (although more religiously as alms and baksheesh). Don't know about Asia and South America.

In Australia I believe many tour guides depend on tips as do dive boat personnel.

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page