TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Missing thread: multi-segment trips

Author Topic: Missing thread: multi-segment trips
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most odd. Mr. Norman asked why his potential multi-segment trip on Amtrak cost more if it was booked on one ticket than if it was booked as separate segments. I spent some time explaining why, with examples, yet I can't find the thread any more. Was I dreaming?
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman must have deleted his post; that wipes out the thread. I know he has in the past expressed reluctance to leave permanent comments on the ever-changing subject of ticket prices.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Mr. Bowen noted, I did choose to remove the thread in its entirety. This site grants the topic originator the prerogative to do so.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, hypothetically, if I wanted to travel round trip from Palatka, FL to Saratoga Springs, NY via the Silver Meteor and the Ethan Allen Express, I should see what the fares are at the Amtrak site going PAK - NYP and NYP - Saratoga Springs as well as the fares going direct?

I know there's an Empire Service discount currently in effect; wouldn't I only get that if I split the segments?

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I don't agree with the ability to do that especially once replies have been added, nor with the taking of that action, as it is generally regarded as somewhat rude to do so. But at least you did return the text I spent some time composing back to me. Perhaps, being a fan of disclaimers, you could put a comment along the lines of, "I will pull this thread if I feel like it, no matter what response I get" on any threads you originate?

Mike, yes, always worth checking. As I was saying to GBN before he pulled the thread, it's common in the airline industry to charge you for the fare that is common to all segments. So if only the expensive fare existed (or remained) for one segment, then you'd be charged the expensive fare for all segments, regardless of availability of cheaper fares for each segment. What GBN seems to have found out is that Amtrak do the same to some degree - it might only apply to discounts, or maybe it's whole fare buckets. But if you need the trains/planes to connect then you really have to stump up the cash because otherwise your connection is not guaranteed and you'd be responsible for change fees, fare difference, etc.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not found in gneral that with the Empire Service connecting to another service, it is cheaper to book segments, but you can check. Hoever, with the NYS discount code currently in effect, it is sometimes cheaper--you should look both ways.

One interesting fare info lately--there is a special price (no code, just a special price) on many NEC trips right now that makes it cheaper than the usual discounts, and you don't get that special price if you put in for those discounts on the computer. For instance, NYP to Boston South last time I checked was cheaper at regular fare because of this special price than it was at AAA discount price!

I did not realize if I pulled the initial post of a thread, everything else in the thread would disappear too! I'm afraid I did pull one a few weeks back, because the info I checked about was erroneous or something? If so, I apologize.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page