RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quick Orange County (CA) Question

Author Topic: Quick Orange County (CA) Question
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend needs to get from the Hyatt Regency Irvine (17900 Jamboree Road, Irvine, CA) to Amtrak Anaheim (assuming that's the closest station). What are the public transit options. The "concierge" at the hotel was stumped. It's (according to Mapquest) about 11 miles.

He's headed to LAUPT and then the flyaway to LAX. SuperShuttle from the hotel to LAX is $32.00.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walk to Main-Jamboree (7 mins)
Bus 86 to Sunflower-Bristol (10 mins)
Bus 57 to State College-Katella (39 mins)
Walk to Anaheim Amtrak (4 mins)
Courtesy of Google Maps

But if he's staying at a Hyatt, surely he can afford a $32 SuperShuttle ride instead of 2 walks and 3 buses?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not paying. [Smile]

He's decided to take the hotel shuttle to SNA then SuperShuttle ($10.00) to Anaheim Amtrak.

Thanks for the help, Geoff.

Frank in very overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a taxi either to Irvine or Tustin and take Metrolink of a morning. It will be a lot cheaper
that way

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flyway take Metrolink to LA and the Flyaway from there as it is cheaper that Super shuttle.

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the hotel Concierge (and a cab driver out front) it's about $25.00 from the hotel to the Irvine Metrolink/Amtrak Station.

I agree that taking the SuperShuttle directly to LAX and then the employee bus to the parking lot near The Proud Bird Restaurant would be easier and just about as cost effective.

Said friend is now onboard a 737-700 flying HNL-SNA after going the other direction this morning. Such is the glamour of working in the airline business these days. Where's that beautiful 747 "Proud Bird of the Pacific" (IMHO the most beautiful 747 both inside and out that ever came out of Everett!) when we need it?

Frank in sunny and cooling SBA

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a bus that runs straight to the Tustin Metrolink Station for future use if needed.

Chris

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, having once stayed at that Hyatt property myself (a conference; I paid; well my own firm - sponsors arranged a $199 rate), I can understand the Concierge not being up to date on any transport to KLAX other than Limo; more likely they are quite handy at arranging Car Services.

We should note, that property is as good as on the perimeter of KSNA.

Finally, a 737? That certainly would suggest to me a "splashdown" somewhere short of a touchdown @ PHNL. But alas, I guess some latter day variants of such do have that range.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
737's have been making ocean flights from the mainland to the Hawaiian islands for several years now. The first time I did it was when Aloha Airlines started service out of Oakland, non-stop to OGG (Maui). They were using the 737-700, which of course is ETOPS certified. I remember back in the days when only certain aircraft could fly that route (the "heavies"---DC-10, 747, etc). But these days, 737's routinely make flights between here and Hawaii. Alaska Airlines (with 737's) just started service to Hawaii out of Oakland as well. I suppose they took over the routes that Aloha used to have.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Most of Continental's flights to the Islands (HNL and OGG) are on 737-700, 737-800 or 737-900 aircraft. The exceptions are EWR-HNL and IAH-HNL which are flown with various 767's.

Some other carriers use 757's between the West Coast and the Islands.

This makes it tough for non-revs from the west coast trying to get to or from Hawai'i since the flights are sometimes weight restricted and go out with empty seats.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point about the weight restrictions. My memory is foggy on this, but I seem to recall that Aloha Airlines used to have a flight that went from SFO to OGG, but it was via LAS if you can believe that! Rumor had it that they could get the extra revenue, burn off fuel, dump off people in Vegas, and pick up new people in Vegas, and this was financially advantageous to them. Now whether or not this was actually true, I don't know. But I always thought it was odd to see a flight go east before heading west to it's final destination.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Finally, a 737? That certainly would suggest to me a "splashdown" somewhere short of a touchdown @ PHNL. But alas, I guess some latter day variants of such do have that range.

Early versions did not have the range. The later generations do - in fact certain configurations of the -900 could theoretically turn around and fly back again without refueling, with a full load, not that I'd ever want to do such a long trip in a smallish plane.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live and learn, Mr. Mayo:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/pf/pf_900ERtech.html

Looks like the B-739ER is good for 3265nm; KSNA-PHNL is 2245nm. It appears that Frank's outfit (Continental?) must have a few of such within their registry.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

The apparent discrepancy between our posts seems to stem from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737 showing a range of, um, ranges depending on configuration, whereas the Boeing link shows a range for a particular configuration. The Wikipedia link shows 5,510nmi maximum range, more than double the SNA-HNL distance. I assume the Wikipedia figure is correct but now I'm wondering.

--------------------
Geoff M.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stayed at the Island Hotel, which is just up the street from the Hyatt, back in May. I wish they had had a shuttle; SNA was five miles away, but I had to rent a car.

I would have suggested the same alternative -- have the hotel shuttle you to SNA, then get a bus/shuttle from there.

As for 737s, I've hated the little "fat jets" ever since I first flew in one in 1971. They haven't improved with time (at least, not the passenger experience).

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, so long as Airliners Net has now landed at Railforum, I once had occasion to meet an Aloha Airlines Flight Officer (flying KORD-KFLL with me upgraded to First). As all well know, that now defunct carrier operated a fleet of 737-200's. I can recall asking him how they got out to PHNL. He said the aircraft were delivered to the airline at KBFI, fitted with auxilliary tanks, and with only a three man Flight Crew aboard, it was "off we go...."
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:

As for 737s, I've hated the little "fat jets" ever since I first flew in one in 1971. They haven't improved with time (at least, not the passenger experience).

+1. Esp. on the "love" airline- Southwest. I even did not use my return air ticket from MDW to SAN last month; figured out a way to get a room on #3 and had a wonderful relaxing trip. (This was the time I called you from the "La Grange Border," Senor Gilberto.) [Smile]

I respect the 737 for being so ubiquitous and (rather like the time-honored DC-3) the workhorse of the modern era, but that 3-aisle-3 seating drives many of us crazy. Esp. when you are the bloke in the "middle." The 4 hours to CHI is about all I can stand- and still I feel the tendrils of encroaching claustrophobia...one exception was a trip I had in on an old Continental 737 from Houston Intercontinental to SAN...they gave me a bump up to a Business Class, which was A-OK. An Amtrak manager was seated next to me and gave me some grief, but that's another story. [Wink]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airplanes. Bah, humbug!
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page