RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » montana input

Author Topic: montana input
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know why hotels in downtown Missoula are so expensive? It looks like for me to go to Helena by bus, I have to stop in Missoula. I heard it wsa nice, but because of the bus schedule, I have to stay in Missoula 2 nights if I want to see anything of the city. But it's very pricey!

What I could do is stay instead in Helena for 2 nights, at much better hotel prices. I would then get to see more of that city (right now I just will be there about 2/3 of a day) but not get to see anything at all of Missoula (I'd arrive at night and leave in the morning). But if Helena is worth the stay, maybe I should do it, since Missoula is so pricey.

Any input? ? ? ?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your planned stay conflict with any University events?

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/event.aspx?e=227&m=18

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking my Triple A Tourbook, Sojourner, I see a couple of possiblities: Best Inn and Conference Center, Missoula, with rates starting at $84 (2 diamond rating). Also, the Best Western Grant Creek Inn, in Missoula, with rates starting at $119 (3 diamond rating).

How are you getting to Missoula? If you are going across Highway 90, another place to consider is the Gallatin Gateway Inn, near Bozeman:

http://www.gallatingatewayinn.com/index.htm

The Gallatin Gateway Inn is an old railroad inn, along an old spur line that was established as a passenger train stopping point for folks going into Yellowstone Park. They say their restaurant is very good, but I don't have cost information regarding room rates as none is given in the Tourbook.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, sorry if I wasn't clear; I'm doing everything by bus, and I want to stay downtown. (I know there are cheaper places not downtown. Gil, I don't think my stay conflicts with university event; I just think the downtown hotels are pricey.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, I've been to Missoula in the past on railroad business and I can't recall if my expense report knocked Squealer (a very gnome eyed Chief Clerk; anyone around here who has been in the industry has known one along the way) over; all I know is he paid it - without a "lecture".

I guess "priciness' is in the eye of the beholder (I checked a few name brands there for a September stay and none really "knocked me over'), but we should be mindful that Missoula is a very attractive town with people walking about rather than the usual critters indigenous to Montana - sheep and rattlesnakes.

The Best Western hotel at which I stayed (can't seem to locate it) had a great slogan: "The only thing we overlook is the scenic Clark Fork River".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner,
I was intrigued by the high prices you were finding, so I just did a spot check myself for mid September. The Mountain Valley Inn? Downtown, $69/night. There are mixed reviews on the place, but I think that's all in the eyes of the beholder.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't recall where I stayed in Missoula, I'm sorry to say (I was on railroad business, and the railroad arranged it), but there is (or was) an excellent Pan-Asian restaurant in the old Northern Pacific depot downtown. I did also stay downtown. The downtown is nice and very walkable.

I know you're interested in seeing state capitals, but there really isn't much to see in Helena and Butte is someplace you should not miss. It's a unique and amazing place, with fascinating architechture plus all of the usual Montana quirkiness (which you'll find in spades in Missoula -- imagine 60s college radicals getting together with IWW members to sing the "Internationale, and that's Missoula),

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Mr Black, Thanks for the tip! Mr RResor (which railroad?), please confirm, you are saying I should NOT miss Butte? I could have sworn other people said I should miss Butte--otherwise I'd have looked into staying there, it sounded interesting to me but I'm pretty sure people said to avoid it and they all said Missoula was nice . . . Am I all mixed up? Thanks. . .
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Suffice to say, I was also in Butte "a time or two' during my years with the MILW. Think my favorite place in town was KBTM - provided I did business with the Avis people first and with Northwest Airlines AFTER that (get it?).

But let us be mindful it has been thirty years.

Ms. Sojourner, just pony up what you must and have a great time in a great town called Missoula. If you are really up for an adventure, why not rent an auto and drive up to Avery Idaho (132mi) and see what is left of "my" railroad. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Also, you will fast see why the "and Pacific" part of my road never had a chance.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman, what is left of "your" (Milwaukee) railroad may be seen in all its glory by bicycle (or on foot) on a fascinating trail.
http://www.skilookout.com/hiawatha/
Quoting the website: 'This portion of the Olympian Hiawatha route has been called one of the most breathtaking scenic stretches of railroad in the country.'

I did it a few years ago, taking the Builder to Whitefish and renting a bike, -and also a car to get there. There are many excellent displays along the trail, explaining things like where the chefs came from (Paris, usually) and the design of the china and how electrification included power generated when the train ran downhill (wow!). Click on 'History" > "View Historic Trail Signs" and you can see miniature versions (to small to read but you can see how impressive they are).

It is easy (I am 64) with no steep grades. But the big tunnel is scary dark and has lots of rushing water. It is so long there is no sign of light (lights are required for biking).

The trail begins just off I-90 in Montana and ends in Avery (about 15 miles). Bus transportation is available so you can do it one way mostly downhill. Take a look at the photos on the website.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Care to see St Paul Pass from the cab of a Joe?

That was one of the 'fringe benefits"; but alas, I can only claim having seen Sixteenmile Canyon from a track car.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Little Joe" was a magnificent 5,530 hp electric engine built for Joseph Stalin's Soviet Union. They were embargoed due to the "Cold War" and ended up on electrified Rocky Mountain segment of the Milwaukee Road.

Page 32 of the Hiawatha Trail Historic Signs pdf quotes an authority as calling them "the greatest machine any railroad ever coupled onto a train".

I highly recommend this file to any railfan:

http://www.skilookout.com/hiawatha/historic_signs/Hiawatha_Historic_Signs.pdf

I envy you, Mr. Norman. Is Sixteenmile Canyon between Avery and St. Paul Pass?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
I envy you, Mr. Norman. Is Sixteenmile Canyon between Avery and St. Paul Pass?
Between Ringling and Three Forks and was considered a scenic highlight for a ride on the Olympian (can't say I ever rode it).
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Can't believe the stuff you can find on You Tube--

I knew this propaganda film produced for the Milwaukee was "out there', but I had never seen it. If you can live through 41 minutes of fluff. perpetually "happy' people, and the annoying 'elevator" music that was endemic to all of these "Oscar winners", there is a vista or two along the MILW's Pacific route thrown in for good measure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNBqm8xYAtE

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on Butte. Note that it has the largest National Historic District in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte,_Montana

Fascinating place if your interest is architecture and the urban environment. Has to be seen to be believed, an Eastern-style city on top of a mountain right next to a huge open pit copper mine (now closed).

Don't pass it up for Helena.

And yes, Mr. Norman, I've flown into BTM.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I have to go to Helena, Mr Resor, it's a capital. Would you recommend Butte over Missoula??? Or maybe I can extend my trip by a day and visit both . . . have to look into it.

Any hotel recs on Butte? I won't have a car, but I'm not sure if I'm better off staying in the historic district or in a chaing hotel with a free shuttle, since the bus station is not in the historic district and if I go there I'd be coming in at night from Helena.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
The chain hotels are most likely down below the historic district, in the valley. I had a car when I was there (and I confess, I can't remember where I stayed, but it was probably one of those chain hotels). There are likely walking tours of the historic district, and your hotel shuttle may be willing to take you up there.

Butte is really something special. If I were you, having traveled all that way, I'd extend the trip by a day and see Butte.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Here's a link to what looks to be a VERY interesting place to stay. Hotels in Butte are generally very reasonably priced.

http://thecopperkingmansion.com/

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the recs. Butte sounds neat, and I'd like to stop there for a night (though I'm pretty sure some railfans said it wasn't so nice? I have notes to that effect). I probably wouldn't do a B&B--they are usually not good for cancelling. But anyway, I just found out that spring is rainy season in western Montana. I am thinking I made a big mistake booking my trip for then; Glacier Park won't even be open. I may perhaps wind up canceling and booking another time, when weather is more reliable. But I'll see. I did get very good rates!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page