RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Making an LIRR–Amtrak or Metro N loop&perhaps getting looped in the bargain (kidding)

Author Topic: Making an LIRR–Amtrak or Metro N loop&perhaps getting looped in the bargain (kidding)
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Mr Norman inexplicably plans to dump his strand, I am posting the to-me-(and I think others)valuable info on using the LIRR to make a LI Sound ferry–Amtrak (or Metro N) loop and also the latest info on the LIRR parlor/bar car. If anyone objects to me re-posting their to-me-valuable posts, let me know and I will edit this strand too!
------------------------------------------------
Palmland asked:

Not related to this topic, but I am curious if the LI still operates a bar car/parlor on any of their trains. Also, there are several ferries across LI sound to CT. Can you get to any of them by rail? If so, it might make an interesting circle trip from NYC, or a roundabout scenic way to get to New England.
-----------------------------------------------
Ocala Mike replied to the first part:

The LIRR was my first "home" railroad. I used to live a matter of yards off the main line near Hillside east of Jamaica, and used to "railfan" Jamaica Station quite a bit.

Anyway, for the latest on the parlor car/bar car situation, go here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=72532
---------------------------------------------
RussM replied to the 2nd part:

Yes, I have done this loop many times. You can get the LIRR out of NYP to Port Jefferson. In Port Jeff, it is a downhill walk of about one mile to the harbor, where there are some nice restaurants to eat. Get the ferry from there to Bridgeport, CT. The ferry terminal in BPT is right next to the RR station, where you can catch the Metro North back to Grand Central Terminal in NYC.
----------------------------------------------
Sojourner adds her 2 cents:

Re using the Port Jefferson ferry as a roundabout way to New England, I'm not sure if any NEC Amtrak trains stop in Bridgeport, but if not, you can take that Connecticut commuter line to Old Saybrook or New London (both nice) and catch an NEC train in either place (more stop in New London, I think) to Providence, Boston, etc.

It is also possible to take a ferry further out on LI, from Orient Point (on the Sound on the N Fork of LI) to New London CT, where it comes in at a scenic spot right near the Amtrak station (on the NEC DC-or-NYC-to-Boston run), from where one could go back to NYC, DC, etc--or on to Providence or Boston etc. However, the LIRR does not go to Orient Point. I am still hoping to do this someday by taking the LIRR to Greenport, a "quaint" town on the North Fork of LI, staying overnight, and then catching a taxi from there to the ferry at Orient Point. OR I may take the LIRR to visit someone I know who lives in the Hamptons area (S Fork of LI) and talk her into driving me to Orient Point. . . . well, someday! It's on my list!

BTW, other ferries also leave from New London CT, inc one to Block Island, and I believe there are other ferries in eastern Long Island, possibly from Orient Point, to Shelter Island? But I am not sure exactly how one gets to Shelter Is. I know people go, and it is nowhere near as romantic as it might seem. . . . Note that some ferries are seasonal only, but I believe the ferries to Bridgeport, New London and Block Island run year round.

I got interested in trying to do an Orient Point loop when I read Plum Island by Nelson De Mille, which I recommend. (But you will not be able to take a ferry to Plum Island in any season, alas.)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plum Island is "not exactly" Gardniers Island, where the welcome sign is also "not exactly" hanging out.

Oh well, at least a mariner in distress would be cared for at the latter; likely ending up in the clink at the former.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak NEC trains do stop at Bridgeport.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info, Sojourner/RussM, thanks.

This should work well for a junket next summer. We can join our son on his NJT commute into NY, then LI to Port Jefferson, ferry to Bridgeport, Shore Line East to Old Saybrook (nice town, good train watching) and Amtrak to friends in Providence.

Ocala Mike, too bad about the bar/parlor cars. I guess the Mad Men of Madison Av. now drink Perrier.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, if you have a car for any of the trip you might try going to Essex, Ct. there you get a great train ride and then transfer to a boat trip down the river. I think it's the Ct river but am not sure. Ar any rate it is a lovely way to spend some time.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Since Mr Norman inexplicably plans to dump his strand, I am posted the to-me-(and I think others)valuable info on using the LIRR to make a LI Sound ferry–Amtrak (or Metro N) loop and also the latest info on the LIRR parlor/bar car.

Good call (by you). This sort of invaluable information should be preserved.
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the LIRR schedule to Greeport is, but there is apparently bus service between it and the ferry terminal at Orient Point. Often when we avail ourselves of the ferry with our auto I've seen the bus waiting at the ferry.

As an aside: Ocala Mike, nee Hillside Mike and I lived less than a half mile from each other across from the Hillside station. Although we've never met, we are "kindred" spirits.

Best regards,
Rodger aka HillsideStation

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner's comments had me checking the Suffolk County Bus schedule.. Route S92 runs hourly during the daytime. It originates at the Orient Point ferry dock. While it goes through Greenport (about 20min.) it appears to be a a little ways from the station (I guess google maps would show how far) but continues on to Riverhead with a stop at the LI station there (about 1 hour). It then changes direction and heads southeast through Sag Harbor and stopping at E. Hampton - about 2'20". So it can be done. The ferry from Orient Point sounds like an even better trip than Port Jeff.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was checking more too. Could not find where bus stop in Greenport is but I'd phone to find out; seems like a nice town to lunch in or whatever. Also, the ferry Orient Point to New London may only run June-Sept; I don't see a schedule beyond that. I thought it ran more though; you can phone them and check.
Also, LIRR schedules to Greenport may vary seasonally too--so check all!
Anyway, I am definitely going to do this some time too. If I could afford it I'd dawdle in Greenport and/or New London . . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner et al: When in Greenport, check this out-

http://www.rmli.us/RMLI/Welcome.html

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know about this year, but for the last 30+ years the OP/NL ferry has operated ALL year long.
Especially big season during winter school vacations for Long Island skiers traveling up to New England.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done that LIRR-Port Jeff ferry and Metro North back to Grand Central. Nice trip. I started at Denville NJ and took NJ transit into Penn Station,so I covered three states using commuter trains. It's very easy to do in one day,and on a hot summer day that PJ ferry to Bridgeport is quite refreshing.
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Port Jefferson to Bridgeport is an easy connection. I've done it twice. Greenport now has only two LIRR arrivals/departures a day on weekends, after a recent service cutback. You'll have to "change at Jamaica" as well. Oh, and the bus to Orient Point doesn't run on Sundays.

Greenport is a small place, so I doubt the nearest bus stop is very far from the train station. There are several places to eat in Greenport, so schedule a lunch stop there.

Amtrak trains stop in both Bridgeport and New London, and in both cases the ferry dock is adjacent to the rail station. Have fun!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info. I thought I had heard it was year-round, Rodger, but when I checked the Orient Point ferry schedule, all I could find at the Web site was a schedule thru September. However, that may simply be because it changes times after that. I would phone or email if I were going . . . but it won't be till next year.

Glad not to be changing at Jamaica last week! (But ordinarily that is not a problem.)

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
We just returned from a quickie road trip to the northeast and thought I would resurrect this old thread.

We visited friends in Stonington, CT and tried the Cross Sound Ferry from New London to Orient Point. Our trip up was via an absolutely horrible I-95 so it was a real pleasure to relax on the 1 1/2 hour trip on the MV Cape Henlopen.

I highly recommend this and the Amtrak station in New London is literally right next to the ferry terminal. I watched a couple Acelas from the ship before we departed. There is a transit bus connecting the ferry in Orient Point to the Long Island RR station in Greenport. Great sandwiches on our ferry. It had quite a history as it was originally an LST used in the Normandy invasion.

A trip back to NYC on the Long Island RR would have been far better than the Long Island expressway. While that wasn't too bad - don't ever do as we did and try to cross the GW Bridge on a Friday afternoon. We were very glad to finally collapse at our son's house in Morristown, NJ.

For any Ashland, Va fans out there, we spent an overnight on our return. The Iron Horse restaurant is as good as ever and now has tables outside. Doesn't get much better than having a cold beer and an excellent meal a few feet from where the engine stops on the southbound regionals. Surprisingly all tables were filled. Best of all, our patient Basset Hound enjoyed laying next to us as we ate.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page