RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » OKJ?

Author Topic: OKJ?
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Later this month the wife and I will be traveling the Coast Starlight from Lax to OKJ. A question, will there be taxis waiting at that hour?
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most cases, yes....The local cab drivers keep an eye on "Julie" and #14's arrival time. If for some reason there is NOT a taxi waiting trackside, make sure you bring with you a list of, say, 2 taxi companies that serve Oakland. Off the top of my head, Veterans Cab is one company that I consistently see waiting for trains. Since downtown Oakland with the major hotels is about a 3 minute drive from OKJ, if you call for one, you should see a taxi appear within minutes (I've done this myself). And the OKJ station itself will still be open and staffed, so you can wait inside and just look outside the big glass walls/windows for your taxi to arrive.

If I were to give a percentage, just off the top of my head, I'd say that there are a few taxis waiting for #14 roughly 90% of the time. Once in a blue moon, there won't be one....but getting one is very fast.

I hope you were given good advice on where to overnight. I hate to say it, but Oakland is a VERY VERY VERY dangerous city. I can't emphasize this enough. Oakland PD just laid off 80 officers, and that is the LAST thing that they needed. Crime is skyrocketing, and the bad guys know that there are less cops to respond now. Please, don't EVER EVER get impatient and start walking away from OKJ on your own (if a taxi is late). It's not worth your life. I never head in the direction of Oakland any more unless I'm armed to the teeth, and now I even carry impact weapons, pepper spray, and handcuffs. (I'm legally allowed to). I used to just carry my gun, but not any more---that city is out of control. Again, I hope you have chosen your hotel carefully. If you want to run the name of the property by me, feel free....I'll be glad to tell you if it's safe or not. Right off the bat, I'll tell you that if you selected the Jack London Inn, get the heck out of there---run!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that this does not make comfortable viewing:

http://www.spotcrime.com/ca/oakland

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty thanks for all of your advice. I will research the names and numbers of the local cab companies as a just in case. We will be actually staying in San Francisco. I am familiar with the war zone previously known as Oakland CA.
Steve W. thanks for the link.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting crime stat website...I wasn't familiar with that one. Thanks for posting.

cubzo---Whew! Very happy to hear you are staying in SF. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cubzo--

Isn't there a Thruway connection to "The City" from OKJ or Emeryville? I would think a taxi would be VERY expensive.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page