RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » advice and suggestions

Author Topic: advice and suggestions
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This saturday morning my wife and I will be boarding the Coast Starlight so I have a few question.
We will be carrying a few small pieces of luggage, will there be overhead bins to accommodate us? Should I expect a large crowd boarding in Los Angeles? Any suggestions on seating for best views and comfort? Are coach passengers invited to the wine tastings?
Any other suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the Starlight right now. There is plenty of overhead space. The crowd to board coach starts lining up about 9:15 but it isn't really that many people compared to the many seats available. It is quite a walk to track 10. Redcaps are available to transport if needed.

On this trip the wine tasting was not offered to coach passengers. On my last trip in June it was made available for $10. Left side seating for ocean views. There is a nice observation car too.

Have a great trip.

Addendum: they just announced wine tasting for coach at $10.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on the Coast Starlight in May, wine tasting was $5 a person for sleeper passengers--so $10 for 2, is that what you meant, Miss Vicki, or $10 per person? Is it higher for coach passengers, then, or has the price gone up?

BTW, have a superfantastic train trip and cruise, Ms Vicki, and enjoy the PAcific. Will you be able to use your computer on board the ship?

I am very very jealous of you!!!

And Cubzo, have a lovely Coast Starlight trip! Left side facing forwad for best northbound water views north of LA, as Ms V says, but right side the next morning when you get up (the earlier the better) in northern California for the views of Mt Shasta, then switch back to left after Mt Shasta is gone for the water views in Oregon, Klamath Falls area etc. . . . assuming you are going that far.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is $5 per person sleeper and $10 per person coach. Mt Shasta wasn't visible today since it isn't light until nearly 7:00 and there was lots of fog.

I will buy computer time on the cruise but it is satellite and slow. So my messages will be brief and few. Just crossed into Washington State. Nice weather here right now. Hope for the same tomorrow for my day in Seattle.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip, cubzo! The Starlight is my favorite train. The coastal scenery between Oxnard and Vandenberg AFB is breathtaking at times.

If you are going Coach, here is a food tip....but this is strictly my own personal opinion. I know that others feel the opposite way that I do. But in Coach, your meals are not included in the price of your dining car meals. So, unless you enjoy sitting at a booth table with strangers (many people enjoy that---I don't really care for it), you can go to the Lounge Car (downstairs in the observation car) and purchase almost the exact same items (and you won't need to leave a tip on the table like you do in the dining car). They have the same salad, the same Angus Burger, the same beverages, etc.....I have found it more enjoyable for me to pick and choose my own food, to eat at a time determined by ME, and to go back to my seat, flip down the tray, and just relax and munch on my food while I enjoy the views. You never who you'll get stuck with at a table in the dining car. It could be someone very interesting, and it could be a dud. You could have a great server, or you could have a dud. But by getting your own food and bringing it back to your seat, you won't encounter any of those issues. But I do know that many people look forward to eating in the dining car specifically because you get to sit with strangers and meet new people. Maybe I'm just shy or something, but that has never really been an attractive amenity to me.

For the $10 cost (per person) for Coach passengers for wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour Car, GO FOR IT!!! Even if you don't drink wine (as I do not), so what!! You get to enjoy that car for 60 to 90 minutes, and you can just bring a soda with you (or buy one from the attendant in the Parlour Car behind the counter), and enjoy the plate of cheese, crackers, and fruit. Nobody is going to force you to drink the wine if you're a non-drinker. [Smile]

Have a great trip.

PS: If you have any important cell phone calls to make or any online access that you MUST get done on the train, keep in mind that you will lose service in the entire area around Vandenberg AFB. You will not start to regain a signal again until roughly Santa Maria.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the advice, tips and well wishes.
A side note, I understand that Vandenberg will be launching a rocket on Saturday. I am sure we won't see it but just the idea adds interest to the trip.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to give you the other side re dining car: While there are a few items that are the same in snack bar and dining car, IMO the dining car offers a lot more variety and much tastier choices than the snack bar; in fact, except for the bistro cars on Cascades, there is almost nothing I like to eat from snack bars, so I usually bring my own food if I'm not using the dining car. For a coach passenger, it's true, prices can be overly high, so when traveling coach I use the dining car sparingly, but I always have breakfast there, which is quite good (I like the omlet or French toast). Of course I do like to meet other PAX there too, but you meet them in the observation car as well. But I also like the experience of being in a dining car when I take a train trip!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....the dining car. I didn't post my cross country trip yet. But the dining car was an experience. One train....eh. Another train .....great! But the downstairs cafe in the lounge car is a good option to have for coach passengers.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least get off and stretch your legs at SBA and SLO. Both have interesting stations and we (SBA) have the famous Moreton Bay Fig Tree and, now, a vintage SP Business Car.

Frank in Sunny and Warm SBA.

Vicki-- Sorry you were here on that gray day!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a launch is going to happen they normally do them in the early evening after 775 goes across
the base. You should see the rocket or missle
from the Coast Starlight. Have a great and safe
trip.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One cannot get French toast, omelette, lamb shanks, steak, etc. at the snack bar. No comparison in menus.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cubzo--

Tomorrow night's launch is a Minotaur IV. Launch window starts at 9:41PM so guess you will miss it.

Have a great trip and report back or from along the way if you can.

Frank in sunny and soon to be VERY warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Again, thanks to all for the replies and the well wishes.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page