RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight trip

Author Topic: Coast Starlight trip
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I boarded the #14 on Saturday 9/25. This was like all other boardings, smooth and on time. The only noticeable difference was a different engine in the consist. This engine was painted white and had a taller profile than the others.

I have always enjoyed the scenery going through Los Angeles her surrounding cities. I have worked in manufacturing most of my life and I enjoy seeing factories and small businesses working on a Saturday. The rest of the scenery going north was the usual tour of California coastline, coastal towns and agriculture. Later that day my wife and I had dinner with the daughter and son in law of Jack Swanson, the editor and author of Rail Ventures. Since she was nice enough to mail one to me I now own a copy.

The rest of the trip went by quickly and we arrived at OKJ on time. The only notable thing was the cab ride to the hotel. We had hired this cabbie over the phone before we left. After piling our luggage and selves into the cab an argument breaks out between our driver and another over us. Our guy won and we were on our way.

The trip home we paid for and enjoyed the Pacific Parlour car. The views are better from there. While I enjoyed the moving Rockwell canvas that is the Amtrak window my wife engaged in a trip long conversation with two other women. Being hearing impaired has never failed me in moments like this.

A few notable mentions here, When we arrived in SLO the southbound Surfliner was cancelled and passengers had to board our train to LAX. The wine and cheese tasting was interesting. One of the passengers took it upon himself to educate the rest of us on wine. Did I mention being hearing impaired can be a blessing. And I must mention the small towns that passed my window. Towns like Niles, San Miguel and Santa Margarita I know these places are someone's "stop at Willoughby"

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on Mr. Cub, wouldn't you enjoy being educated on wine by Paul Giamatti, Virginia Madsen, and Sandra Oh?

Somehow, I like to think that Grape Juice is part of any of those actor's off-screen life to the same extent it was their "on-screen" in "Sideways".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed a Cascades engine in the consist for the Starlight lately. As a matter of fact, there was one on Vicki and Art's #14. No word from them, btw, since their departure from SEA. I'm sure they are having a fabulous time.

We are headed to San Francisco this week for my Peace Corps Reunion. This will be a car trip for several reasons but at least two of my fellow RPCV's (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) will be taking the Starlight up and back. They asked me what to expect. My response was "Just about anything. But enjoy the trip."

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're heading up here at a beautiful time, Frank. The weather is incredible, and should remain this way all week. Of course, right when the weather turns great, I leave for Vegas. But it will be nice there, too. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page