RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Heritage Coaches

Author Topic: Heritage Coaches
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surfing the internet the other day and I found this picture. With the second thru the forth car being in a amtrak paint.http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2260634. Do you know what numbers they are. Thanks
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, here is the link in UBB Code:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2260634

Secondly, "I don't know". Now I realize that is not exactly an answer anyone wants, but at first glance I would have thought ex-PRR "Congressional" Coaches, but those cars had number plates over each truck in the PRR tradition. They also appear to be heavily rebuilt with a window configuration other than "as delivered".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I can't figure out the number. I know a few heritage coaches were in operation in 01. And this picture was taken a few days ago. These cars would run thru your area if they are based in Chicago, so do you think you might see them. They might be ex-congressional as they would look close to the same, except the windows. I couldn't explain the windows, but they might e ex-PRR.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm next "going in' for the Symphony on Sat Oct 23 (the Bulls have lost Boozer, the Bears have lost Cutler; we've lost Muti), so I'll keep my "eyes peeled' passing 14th St as I always sit on the Engineer side inbound just for possible sightings that I can share here.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Amtrak had retired/disposed of all that equipment..My guess is this equipment is owned by museum and/or leasing company, thus I "doubt" you will see any of it in the 14th st yard.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, you left out that you've also lost "Sweet Lou" Piniela. Don't worry, you've still got the Stanley Cup (Black Hawks), Deep Dish Pizza, and a reputation as the "Second City" that will never die.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They kind of look like the "Coach Handicapped" in the 7000-7005 series.

Take a look here...

Amtrak Heritage Coaches

There are only photos of #7000, but it mentions three in service as of March 2001. Could be the three you see in the picture.

However nothing in the 7000 range is listed on the roster at this website:

Amtrak Roster

So they are likely now private cars.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Bingo, Mr. Doti; thanks for the more thorough research that I omitted.

Here is a photo of a PRR P-85 ("Congressional") Coach as delivered. Note that all windows, save the potty, are of uniform size.

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Nice, I have figured out these cars. They are owned by Arizona Transit Assembly, but leased by Amtrak, one is a sleeper, one is a coach, and one is a lounge.
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak92, I don't suppose you know what the Amtrak roster (car) numbers were for these cars, do you?

Thanks.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here is Arizona Transit's roster, Mr. MD:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=ATAX&cid=7

Apparently, the ex-PRR Coaches have now been liveried in Amtrak Phase IVb.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the above link, if you click on "ATAX 800275", this is the PV "Sierra Hotel" (Dome). I suppose I'm a bit confused. Why is a PV listed in there?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Give any of the other ATAX 800XXX cars a try, Mr.Smith.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure I follow, Gil. I see that there are other cars with the same maroon stripe down the side. What am I supposed to be seeing?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The oversized window configuration as appearing in the photo links submitted by Amtrak 92.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, I'm completely lost. That's okay. I see the PV Sierra Hotel in there, and a bunch of other cars. Beyond that, I guess the discussion has gone over my head.
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Thanks for the link Mr Norman.
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty - the "800XXX" number series is assigned by Amtrak to private cars which have been certified to operate in Amtrak trains. The "ATAX" is the AAR designator for Arizona Transit Assembly, which registers the car. You may also see these cars with "RPCX" or "PPCX" AAR designators, which are designators for the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance or the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners , respectively.

In order to operate on the North American rail network, each piece of rolling stock must bear a registered reporting mark (and an UMLER tag and its accompanying electronic info, which I won't go into here). Since the hurdles (and costs) are high to establish your own private (non-railroad) reporting mark, most private car owners contract with one of these agencies to register their cars officially. As I said above, Amtrak assigns an "800XXX" number to cars which meet their standards for operation in an Amtrak train, so these car registrars normally use that number for Amtrak-certified cars. If your private car is not Amtrak certified you may still register it with a number of the registrar's choosing. Then it can be operated in interchange service, although not in Amtrak trains.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page