RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago to Iowa City?

Author Topic: Chicago to Iowa City?
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hopefuls are looking for funding to attempt a 2015 startup. This is the first I've heard of such a proposal.

WCCO, CBS Minneapolis (AP report)
quote:
Oct 21, 2010 11:29 am US/Central

Amtrak Backers Hope For Funding Announcement Soon

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) ― Backers of an Amtrak route from Chicago to Iowa City are optimistic word on funding will come soon.

Tammy Nicholson of Iowa's office of rail transportation told The Gazette that it's "leaning in that direction."

Illinois will spend $45 million on a passenger route from Chicago to the Quad Cities.

Nicholson says she expects an announcement soon on a joint application by Iowa and Illinois for a $248 million federal grant to get the passenger trains rolling over the route from Chicago to Iowa City by 2015.

Iowa received a $1 million grant to study extending the service to Des Moines and eventually Omaha, Neb.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an extension of the Chicago/Quad Cities service and has been in planning stages for a couple of years. One of the high dollar items that needs to be accomplished is a connection between the Iowa Interstate (ex Rock Island) track and that of the BNSF near Wyanet, IL as well as a set of crossovers on the BNSF. The extension past Iowa City to Des Moines or Omaha is at best a questionable dream of Iowa's current Governor.
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a summary of Iowa's wish list:
http://www.iowadot.gov/iowarail/passenger/highspeedintercity.htm

Here's more on the several possible routings through Illinois:
http://www.dot.state.il.us/amtrak/pdf/QuadCitiesFULLREPORT.pdf

But with any of these proposals, time for a little Liza and Joel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIbUT6u7Q

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of these pipe dreams have as much chance of coming to fruition as the rebirth of the Twin Star Rocket and Zephyr Rocket routes (St. Louis - Minneapolis) cutting across Iowa N/S through Cedar Rapids over the old Rock Island.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, while I never rode the Twin Star, I did ride the Zpehyr Rocket Cedar Rapids-St Louis during January 1962.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visited Nichols, IA last month, Gil (around 50 miles SE of Cedar Rapids). I guess the Rock Island tracks along that route were picked up with the demise of the CRI&P some 30 years ago. There was even a short branch line, Nichols to Lone Tree, but no traces of that exist either.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
P.S. Hawkeyes vs. Badgers this Saturday in IC. Go Hawks!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there were plans for a train to Des Moines through Rockport and Dubuque?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Two different routes are being addressed, Ms. Sojourner. Rockford (vice Rockport) and Dubuque are along the Illinois Central (Canadian National) and which previously had Amtrak-era service between 1974 and 1980.

Des Moines, along the Rock Island (Iowa Interstate), has been without passenger trains since 1969. There was an initiative during the 2K Network Growth Strategy to inaugurate Amtrak service with an overnight "Mixto', but along with the rest of the Warrington hoopla, that went nowhere.

Iowa City is also along the Rock Island.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Twin Star Rocket could connect Des Moines to the CZ (and Chicago), the Builder at MSP, and the SWC at Kansas City.

The LD's would gain a whole bunch more possible city pairs. The track is good.

I suspect these current proposals are regional rail with multiple trips per day. But the potential to improve the national system is worth considering. Is there a market? I'm not sure, but I know there are a lot of Baby Boomer snowbirds in MN that go to the Southwest. Some big Minneapolis high schools even have annual winter reunions in Arizona because half their graduates live there in the winter.

I would use it several times a year.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Des Moines will always have a place in my heart as it was the place where I first stepped outside of an airport onto American soil.

I realise there's a lot more to it that just joining up a few dots on the map but the CZ in Iowa is a classic example of a route going through small settlements to the south instead of going Chicago - Iowa City - Des Moines - Omaha.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I second mr williams' thoughts. Des Moines will always have a place close to my heart, since it is Mrs. Ocala Mike's birthplace.

Also, he is spot on about the inadequacy of Amtrak service to and through the Hawkeye state.
University of Iowa travelers have to use Mt. Pleasant, and Des Moines travelers have to use Ottumwa.

By the way, the Hawks lost a tough one to the Badgers yesterday, so no joy in Iowa today.

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Des Moines travelers have to use Ottumwa.

I actually used Osceola - there was a bus from Des Moines run by a firm called (IIRC) Jefferson Lines in those days.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jefferson Bus has expanded and improved, -and does connect Osceola and Des Moines. They are in the Amtrak Osceola Depot and have 2 buses a day to Des Moines, but one is in the middle of the night. They have an excellent reputation.

https://www.jeffersonlines.com/ticketing/choose-routes.asp?curr=ddmzqamwsaHduq-wpvW_tarp6sS5urm7v7zAv8HBuAX40sfIx8rKys7Nz88

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 questions:

Is there no possibility of a train Chicago-Rockford-Dubuque-Des Moines(-Omaha-Lincoln)?

Also, will the train being contemplated for Chicago-Rockford-Dubuque probably stop in Galena?

Hey, as long as I'm asking questions, what about the contemplated extension of the Heartland Flyer . . . would that go to Guthrie, OK? Tulsa?

I am sorry to be so ignorant of the track configurations available. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The Rock Island (now Union Pacific) "route of the Twin Star Rocket" and the Illinois Central (now Canadian National) "route of the Hawkeye" intersect at Iowa Falls. To what extent there is a physical interchange, i.e. a train can get from one railroad to the other, I know not. However, I'm sure neither road is "too interested" in operating a passenger train - nor would I guess there is any passenger traffic potential.

Galena is on the IC and was served by the Black Hawk. If Chicago-Dubuque service is to be restored that would likely be the route used West of Rockford (there are several alternate routes being studied Chi-Rkfd).

If the grant awarded to Kansas under "$8B for HSR" provisions of ARRA '09 (Stimulus) goes anywhere beyond feeding consultants, an extension of the Heartland Flyer could move forth. But in virtual certainty, it would serve points within Kansas.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Sorry, got my "O" cities mixed up in Iowa. Des Moines passengers, of course, use Osceola not Ottumwa.
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
I could just imagine Ottumwa's most famous (fictional) inhabitant saying, "Aw, come on, Mike, how could you mix up Ottumwa with that dump!!"
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Yes, mr williams, I do indeed owe Radar (O'Reilly of MASH) an apology for that miscue!
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
The latest: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=zoom&Site=D2&Date=20101026&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=10260362&Ref=AR

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page