RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Reagan Era Dining

Author Topic: Reagan Era Dining
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting - and somewhat disturbing - observation from an Amtrak traveler. Reagan Era Dining aboard the Amtrak Cafe Car

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the microwave description....I've always wondered the same thing.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From one who recalls meals aboard virtually new Superliner Diners yet serving the Reagan era microwaved food, I think that the youngster simply "got what he paid for'.

The present Simplified Dining Service initiative has come a long LONG way from the 1983 vintage Dining Car (as distinct from snack bar) microfood.

I note one of the reader's comments suggested the author try the Dining Car; something tells me that suggestion will not be acted upon, as it is more fun to go to the Snack Bar and rant on the web.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the "Am-McMuffins" (breakfast sandwiches) of the Reagan era and before weren't half bag. Hot dogs and pizza, not so good. Why didn't the guy just have a sandwich? Or the cheese/crackers tray? Why didn't he just go to the diner?

I survived a two-week, 8300 mile Amtrak marathon in 1982, eating mostly "Blue Ribbon Chicken Sandwiches" and whatever microwave meals they loaded for dinner, and survived. But after Claytor came on board in the mid-1980s, things got better fast.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page