RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Savannah restaurants

Author Topic: Savannah restaurants
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you were so helpful about Savannah and Charleston can you suggest some good moderate price restaurants in Savannah?Since we won"t have a car I wold rather stay fairly close to the historic district.Also what is eatible in the lounge-club car for breakfast.Thanks
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Lunch the old Georgia Southern railcar that is behind the Historical Museum is very nice the museum is the old central train station and is on the trolley line. There are some moderate price restraunts along River Street. There is of course Martha Dean's restraunt the line for lunch begins to form at 8 a.m the line for Dinner shortly thereafter. There are many choices in the Market area as well.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the following places when I was there, but it's been a while:

Bistro Savannah, 309 W Congress St, City Market area, 912-233-6266. At the time it was only moderately expensive. Don't remember what I had here.

Lady & Son, 102 W Congress St (relocated), City Market area, 912-233-2600. Reserve. I had a great lunch here, so good that I went back for dinner on another night. (But the dinner cost more and was not as good!) At lunch they came around with biscuits and syrup, yummy. I think i had shrimp n grits, also good. However, the foodies on line say this place has gone down.

Mrs. Wilkes's Boarding House, 107 W Jones St, 912-232-5997. No idea if this place is still open, since Mrs Wilkes died, but it was a Savannah institution w heaping family-style food, esp good: banana pudding, buttermilk biscuits. It was open only for breakfast & lunch on weekdays; Mrs Wilkes rang a bell on opening, but foodwise, lunch was better and more interesting than breakfast. The area where it was located was also attractive and interesting.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I visited my grandparents in Savannah, they always took us to The Pink House. I remember it as being very nice, picturesque (on one of the squares in the historic district) but perhaps it might be a little pricey. Certainly check it out from the outside, as it was always a beautiful PINK! (I think it's called the Olde Pink House now.)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.savannahga.net/dining/thepinkhouse.html

Unless their Wine List is some kind of a "knockout", the $$$ do not appear out of line to me.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page