RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle to be extended to LA on all 7 days a week??

Author Topic: Texas Eagle to be extended to LA on all 7 days a week??
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this has been mooted before but I've seen several articles in the various rail news threads suggesting that Amtrak are actually going ahead with the plan to make CHI - SAS - LAX seven days a week, and a stub train will operate from NOL - SAS (although there are contradictory views as to whether the stub will be three days or seven).

I can see obvious advantages such as daily service to Palm Springs, El Paso and Tucson and the abolition of the long layover in SAS will mean much better train times for Arizona but if this goes ahead it looks like Sunset Ltd RIP and we can forget any restoration between NOL and Florida??

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the UP is not overly receptive to having The Eagle become Daily. Simply because the UP has committed investor capital to double tracking the Sunset Route through NM and AZ, and plans to finish CA once the Recession ends, does not mean they have done so solely so Amtrak can inaugurate operation of a Daily passenger train.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/05/17/20100517amtrak-phoenix-arizona-downtown.html

disclaimer: author holds position in UNP.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page