TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Limited trip report

Author Topic: Capitol Limited trip report
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is here:

http://henrykisor.blogspot.com/2010/11/overnight-to-washington.html

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, an informative and interesting report, Henry. Sounds like the Capitol is doing OK.

I was surprised that they were using the lounge end of the CCC, albeit just for crew meals - a good idea. A better idea would be to actually use it for for passengers as a first class lounge since the train has the full lounge car too. With a little effort it would be a good spot for a cocktail, wine tasting, or morning coffee - especially this time of year when darkness prevents much viewing from the lounge.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Henry. It seems you fared much better with your Capitol Ltd. dining experience than I did. Which was nice to read.. You are so correct about the length of the trip. It is perfect for a nice overnight sleeper ride.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report and thanks.

I'm looking at possible Amtrak rides to introduce my 5-year old daughter to the joys of overnight rail travel and am thinking that the Capitol Limited is probably the perfect choice too.... particularly if mom can be enticed back onto the train, we could get the Family Bedroom.

I made the mistake of taking my wife aboard VIA's Canadian in 2004 and she has mostly refused any Amtrak trip since.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much enjoyed your train report, Henry. I was just on the Cap Ltd westbound and thought it was great too, with good crew and particularly good food--nicer than last spring (when it was still OK). One time I recall a gentlemen from DC taking his son on this trip for the reasons you describe, though the son was a little older, he still was having a wonderful time.

I agree with you about the USA Today too; much prefer local papers. I liked getting the Minot paper on the EB.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page