RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Unstoppable" movie

Author Topic: "Unstoppable" movie
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from seeing it. OUTSTANDING!!!

Of course it's Hollywood, so there are railroading technical mistakes. But who cares? It's a movie filled with drama, emotion, and excitement. Absolutely fantastic!! I highly recommend this movie to railfans. I will be seeing this one again.

Denzel Washington plays the 28 year veteran engineer, and Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) plays the new Conductor assigned to work with him. What follows is "on the edge of your seat" action. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, The New York Times is mixed, but my fellow Illini (we were contemporaries) Roger Ebert gives it "three stars". However, I'd probably go to it simply to count the Rules violations just as I did with "Silver Streak II".

I'll just wait until it hits HoBO or Starz.

Finally, here is a report regarding the incident on which the movie is based.

More (source questionable)

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The usually circumspect Wall St. Journal movie reviewer said: "But you've got to see this new one to appreciate how full, fresh, smart, terse, funny, genuinely thrilling and ultimately original it is."
He also added: " And how beautiful. One stunning image outdoes another..." Wow.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK; time for a little "we report, you decide":

Roger Ebert

Times

Journal

Incidentially, HoBO On Demand is presently offering a 12 minute "Making of Unstoppable". FWIW, the railroad, I would guess a Short Line, on which it was filmed is not given any production credit - maybe they didn't want it.

There was one line of script between the Engineer and Conductor within the "trailer' suggesting that the producers did not do much research regarding the seniority system for awarding Agreement jobs. Also, it would appear to me the role of Yardmaster was uh, "slightly miscast'. While every movie needs a little 'eye candy' to put the "copper in the hopper', and many a road employs "Yardmistresses" today, couldn't the producers found a "fortysomething' actress (how about Jayne Mansfield's daughter?) and not having her "on the runway' - in short, dress her for the job. In common with any other "Hollywood goes a railroadin' fiasco (worst "Silver Streak II") I have been exposed to over the years, I'm sure this one will no no different.

Oh well, since HoBO is airing this "Making of..' feature, it would appear that they have acquired the production's cable TV rights. From what I saw, I think it can wait the year until it's time for a "your HoBO subscription dollars at work" moment.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, if the critic of the "Journal" is to beleived; unless you have a high end in home theatre sound system you may not attain the full impact of the film on HBO/Starz. You just might have to reach into your inside coat pocket, unclasp the safety pin, remove and open the purse and spend some of those silver certificates you've been hoarding at your local "cineplex".
Best regards,
Rodger...who ushered at a classic movie house when they had just one...but a big...screen along with "...glorious technicolor and stereophonic sound".

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodger, I must be like Gil. The last movie I saw in a theatre was last month's "Secretariat," and then only because I had four free tickets from my Amtrak Guest Rewards. I got what I paid for, too (movie was just ordinary).

Will await "Unstoppable's" appearance on HBO or Cinemax, probably in a few months.

By the way, where did you usher at? Do you remember the Valencia theatre on Jamaica Ave.?

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HillsideStation:
Rodger...who ushered at a classic movie house when they had just one...but a big...screen along with "...glorious technicolor and stereophonic sound".

Be sure to add "breathtaking Cinemascope"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kHKijb8jI

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even after Smitty's glowing review, I've got a lot of doubts about this one...will I see it? Yeah probably. After seeing the various trailers, though, I was prepared to enshrine Unstoppable in my own Pantheon of Bad Train Movies. I wonder if the permissions to use the old warbonnet Santa Fe logo units in the movie came from Buffett himself? Not that it makes much difference, but why not have yellow UP engines? Just foolin' with you guys--

I'm absolutely with Gil on some (not all) of the casting choices not offering much realism per modern-day railroading--but like others have said that's just Hollywood. I'll try to look beyond these things and if I see it, I'll give my review honestly here. I already see tons of technical errors in just the trailers. I'd also be interested to know exactly where the realtime, non-digital locations/railroads were and it's interesting that they did not want their name known in the credits, according to Gil. I guess I'm just a hopeless Emperor of the North fan! I sure bought the premise of that one!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want realism? Slap a derail onto the track. End of Movie.
That was a quick 7 minute movie...

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bob, I believe the non-digitally produced railroad action scenes were filmed in Pennsylvania over some short line road. The actual event on which this film is loosely based took place in Ohio.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the rest of the story, from Trains' Newswire. It also adds the director was bitten by the train bug when he filmed 'Taking of Pelham 1-2-3'

"Behind the scenes of "Unstoppable"

Principal photography for Unstoppable began in Brewster, Ohio, on the Wheeling & Lake Erie on Aug. 31, 2009. After a week of filming, the production company headed north to Pennsylvania, setting up offices in Bradford, Pa., about five miles south of the Pennsylvania-New York border.

Every day, the production crew traveled to the Western New York & Pennsylvania destined for Port Allegany, Eldred, Turtlepoint, Blanchard, and Emporium as well as north to Olean, N.Y., for photography.

On Oct. 10, the company moved their base to State College, Pa., and shot on the Nittany & Bald Eagle before moving to southeastern Ohio and back onto the W&LE, including Bellaire, Martin’s Ferry, Mingo Junction, and Steubenville. Production wrapped principal photography on Dec. 18.

In Emporium, the company created an actual train derailment, a huge special effects sequence that closed the main intersection of the small hamlet for more than five hours.

The movie used eight locomotives, including four AC4400CWs from Canadian Pacific (both sets numbered 777 and 776, the units on the fictional runaway train) and four SD40-2s (at least two numbered depicted as the 1206 used by Denzel Washington and Chris Pine) from W&LE, as well as about 60 freight cars."

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't go to movies at theaters much nowadays, but "Unstoppable" sounds like one I'd like to see. I'll be looking for it to come out on DVD in a few months...........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure we've gotten enough about this movie by now, but I just saw it and need to add my $.02 worth.

Gilbert, you'll be missing a lot by not seeing it in the theater. It needs to be seen on the big screen and with the bigger sound. We go to the movies on Tuesdays, senior day at AMC, $6.00. I'm sure Chicago area theaters offer the same.

I can't comment on the technicalities of running a locomotive, but they give them to you here.

Mike Smith, blessed Texan! Your solution is dealt with, Joe Bob says check it out!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thanks for the thought Mr. Black.

I guess if somehow I could move beyond the "it's just a movie' mindset and to the level in heart and mind that the Chicago Symphony holds, then I'd be off to a facility I have not seen the inside of since 2004 (Farenheit 9/11).

Otherwise, it's a case of "Comcast gets $158 (CSO about a $K a season) a month outta me; gotta get my money's worth.'

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil...$158 a MONTH? And here I am, putting up rabbit ears to watch my new 42LD520 and thinking myself extravagant for subscribing to Netflix ($8.99/mo) and upgrading to higher speed (3 mbps) DSL ($7/month more) so that I could stream movies.

(I have been watching maybe 30 minutes of TV a week, not counting my DVD collection...so cable really doesn't make much sense for me. But if you can afford it, and if you like it...must be nice!)

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
That $158 includes internet, but no PPV. I'm quite happy to wait a week to see two guys bash each other's heads apart - and that is if I'm even interested.

"Those were the days" thinking back to 1987 when Comcast was Continental Cable (think there have been four different providers since then - and I've never 'switched') - and the subscription was some $18 a month!

We should note my town was just about "last kid on the block' to get cable; there was a Politburo-for-Life member (whoops, Village Trustee elected for a two year term) who was going to fight it tooth and nail, "so our children won't be corrupted with all that filth', until he died.

And that's what happened.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie and really enjoyed it.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We enjoyed watching the filming here in Steubenville, OH last year. They filmed a chase scene across the Market Street Bridge over the Ohio River here. Railroad scenes were done in Bellaire and Martins Ferry, OH, scenes were done on the old B & O stone arch bridge in Bellaire.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it today in the theater, and literally had sweaty palms and some breath-holding from the building tension. Some movies are just made to be seen on the big screen, and I think this is one. Enough action for me for one day! I admit I did wait until a Friday to take advantage of the senior citizen matinee as I also spend way too much money on cable TV and high speed internet.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, my opinions frequently match yours in a variety of issues. Like yourself, I seldom frequent the cinema the last several years, though I do average 3-4 flicks per year. However, the masses are correct in their assessment of the film and the desirability of seeing it on the big screen. The sound was a bit loud at times, but cinemagraphically you would be losing a good deal by viewing it on the small screen.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
"Unstoppable" is presently available Pay-per-View at Comcast's On-Demand cable TV service. Think I can live without until it hits HoBO.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched it on my new iPad 2. Sure, I missed the big-screen ambience, but it was exciting enough as is.

I simply shut my mind to all the reality howlers. Movies are visual and visceral and that's enough.

(Oops. Forgot to say I just loved it.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, back up the train...William Shatner is not Captain Kirk??? Guess I'm just not paying attention [Smile]
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching 'Unstoppable' on Netflix DVD and from a train novices perspective is was a really great movie. Fast paced, well written, and very likable characters. Chris Pine and Denzil Washington did quite well, but I think Chris was definitely the star of the movie, besides the runaway train sequences of course. Would highly recommend this to anyone!
Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, "Unstoppable" has now made a stop at HoBO (via Comcast On-Demand), and so as of now "I've seen it".

Let's just leave it at that.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, you are a master of understatement!
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet you didn't know that a train could get tipped on it's side and go around a curve that fast! (said in jest, of course).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, everybody -- it's a movie. not a history lesson or a "how to" piece. It was created for entertainment, not for technical achievements or mundane accuracy.

On a different note, imdb.com reports that Chris Pine did all his own stunts.

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Perhaps some of us are just too close to the industry to muster the necessary willing suspension of disbelief to enjoy these movies.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Looks like one of the "stars" got an extra gig from her appearance in this "flick":

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/7148.html

All told, how could Tony Scott, an Executive Producer of what I think is one of the finest productions to hit the "small screen" in quite a while, The Good Wife, have ever been associated with this rubbish? Like it or not, when I commit my time (not that it is so precious or valuable; I'm retired) to view a production, I cannot take the attitude immediately expressed by Mr. Gardner; that's just me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page