RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Palmetto to savannah and back

Author Topic: Palmetto to savannah and back
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from a week's trip to Savannah with my cousin anne. We had talked about this for years and finally the time was now or never. Since she is the wife of a retired ambassador of several important countries she is used to flying everywhere. I am a train person/ so we divided up the tasks..she did the lodging part and I the transportion (by train ofcourse). I decide on the Palmetto because the times of arrival and departure make the most sense.I got business class which turned out to be an excellent choice.
When we left Alexandria the ca came around with pillows and newspapers. Then came the conductor who stopped at each seat telling us where the lounge was,about the free beverages,etc/.
All 4 conductors on this trip were super.In leaaving Savannah the rest rooms were impossible with stench, clean but stinky to the utmost. so Anne got the conductor who got the staff? and pretty soon he came to our seat to tell us they had cleaned again and all should be well.WRONG!! It was just as bad. So Anne went back and got him again. Next thing we knew the 2 were locked and he came to each seat and told each individual that the doors were locked and we were to use the one in the lounge and explained where it was..just inside the door. We went to check and there it was with a huge red sign "for business class only".
Another time we were stopped for about 20 minutes. On came the PA with an explanation twice to keep us up to date and apologize for the delay. Oh yes all 4 conductors told all of us if there was anythng we needed or wanted just let
them know.
This attitude started with the reservation agent who on hearing me request baggage assistance and also that I had a small oxygen canister in my carry on said,"Oh you are disabled." "No" I said . In a very stern voice I was told I was disabled and had a companion with me. It dawned on me what she was getting at so I agree. We got a lower fare.!!
The Amtrak part of the trip could not have been better.
Savannah is a lovely city and we enjoyed it even with a few annoying incidents including the fact that I fought off the Savannah Crud. So other than that how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. LIncoln?

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than the cruddy lavatory, it sounds as if Amtrak came through reasonably well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's good service!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
service could'nt have been better, David
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady- so glad to hear you and your cousin had a good trip, but sorry about the attack of the Savannah crud. Mary and I both got it on our recent trip to AZ - I think we were being punished for flying rather than the taking the Sunset or SWC.

It does sound like Amtrak is doing better with their personnel, but no excuse for not cleaning the restrooms on the layover. Hope you let Amtrak know. I hope you're planning your next trip!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
my cousin remarked that it seemed so strange because the external room was spotless and well equiped with supplies. It was simply the odor that was so awfcul.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the car cleaners did their job, but the outfit that was supposed to clean out the holding tanks did not. Maybe they 'forgot' the business class car since relatively few passengers there.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you had a nice train trip, Train Lady, and so sorry for your "crud attack." These things happen all too much when we travel, which is why I seem to carry a drugstore around with me for l-d trips on the train!

I have noticed that all too often the long-distance non-sleeper trains, like the Adirondack, Vermonter, and your Palmetto, do not get their potty tanks emptied as much as they should, although I must say the Adirondack seemed much improved in that regard this year.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page