RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » q about Vermont &other train station caretakers etc

Author Topic: q about Vermont &other train station caretakers etc
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused about the caretakers at Vermont train stations. Are they volunteers? Paid employees of the state?

Also, does anyone know if they have some affiliation with the volunteers who help passengers on the Downeaster in Maine?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caretakers hold contracts with Amtrak for the services they perform. Hence, they are independent contractors and not employees.

The sale of tickets and giving specific train information is work performed by Amtrak employees covered by Agreement, which explains why the caretakers have been carefully instructed not to give same to passengers.

However, I have always found that they are "darned good" ambassadors for Amtrak and rail travel.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to echo Mr. Norman's response in that the "caretakers" - especially on the Vermonter route - are extremely pleasant and helpful. I've largely dealt with the caretakers at the Essex Junction (Burlington stop), and they seem to take a real sense of pride in what they say and do, often going above and beyond to help passengers out. Often, that's more than I can say for some station agents that Amtrak hands a paycheck to. The caretakers (at least from like St. Albans to White River Junction) all seem to be extremely friendly with one another. Soon as the train leaves one station, they call down or up the line to let the other passenger station caretaker that the train is "on its way." In Essex Junction (Burlington) the caretakers have even made mention of things to "look out for" while riding the train (scenic vistas or covered bridges etc.). They also seem to explain the Palmer Junction "change of direction as well. For those caretakers on the Vermonter's route, I have nothing but good things to say. And many of these caretakers take pride in what they do and the train they help passengers out with. It's also these caretakers that lament the loss of the Montrealer as well!!!
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not certain, I'd dare say the caretakers are admonished not to overly assist passengers with making reservations by means of a passenger's, or their own, electronic plaything.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to wander off topic, but jp mentioned that the VT caretakers tell passengers about the Palmer Junction change of direction on the Vermonter. My question is -- I know the Vermonter changes direction at Palmer, but does it then change direction again at Springfield such that the train travels "forward facing" the rest of the way to NYP and WAS? From looking at my maps, it looks like the train can wye just past the SPG station, along the river, then reverse direction going south on the main line thru CT.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the train changes direction only once, just east of the crossing of NEC and CSX at Palmer. At Springfield, it simply heads around the wye and goes south.

When upgrades are finished between Springfield and East Northfield, the train will be re-routed back onto the former B&M. It will then head into Springfield and back out, as the old "Montrealer" always did. This move doesn't take very much time, and it plus the reduction of 49 miles of distance will reduce the schedule by at least an hour.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is, on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9XjsMMrWE

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going back to my original question: Are there also volunteers on the Vermonter who help passengers, as there are (I think) on the Downeaster?

Also, are there caretakers or volunteers in unmanned stations in NC, such as Salisbury?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
regarding your question about the Vermonter, no there are not volunteers riding the train similar to what Maine service has.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the video, Mike!! I didn't realize there were two locos on the Vermonter for that purpose.

I assume the train crew does NOT reverse the seats at Palmer, right? So if you are riding the Vermonter, no matter which direction you are going, you will have to ride "backwards" for much of the way, right?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never rode it, RRRICH, but I believe that is the case. I know the seats do not "flip."
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, NC is very much into caretakers. Notelvis probably has the complete list, but I often check in with the one at Selma, NC - where the line from Raleigh/Charlotte joins the one from Florence/Charleston. They are always helpful with information and train status. But it is a shame they aren't allowed to sell tickets. I do believe all unstaffed stations in NC have a caretaker.

For those traveling I-95, Selma is a good lunch stop with a couple interesting restaurants, an outlet place next exit south and, for my wife's benefit, a good quilt store -not to mention the beautifully restored station. A rather unique building since it is right at the NS/CSX cross track.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
When I rode the Vermonter, though there were quite a few passengers boarding in Vermont, there were still enough empty double seats so that I could simply change seats just before the train changed direction. A lot more passengers got on at Springfield MA afterward--had I waited till then, I would not have been able to change seats (without sharing one).

I thought I had read something at the Vermont train travel Web site about inaugurating a volunteer program like Maine's but I guess it never got off the ground? (OF course, I don't recall any volunteers when I was in Portland station or on the Downeaster, either.)

Re NC caretakers (sorry to be jumping around): Are they independent contractors paid by Amtrak or the state, or are they volunteers? Are they around when trains like the Crescent arrive in the middle of the night? Aren't there volunteers of some kind in NC? Thanks

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, what you may be recalling is that several years ago, there was a NPS volunteer that rode on the weekends during the summer(?) months that would give a presentation in one of the coaches regarding landmarks/scenery/towns/etc. (S)He rode between ESX and BRA. That program kind of died a natural death a few years ago...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
No it wasn't the NPS/Trails & Rails stuff, MDRR. I think it was some kind of volunteer host program, like the one in Maine. Not sure if it actually started in Vermont or if they were just trying to get one started? Don't know much about the one in Maine either.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Palmland and Sojourner.....

The Caretakers at North Carolina's unstaffed stations are paid employees of the NCDOT. They do the daily custodial work and have been trained in answering some questions about train schedules. They are in touch via telephone with live Amtrak agents at the nearest staffed station so as to provide accurate train arrival information. I've also seen the Caretaker at High Point online and logged into the Amtrak website for updates. They do not sell tickets (though many of the stations they staff have Quiktrak machines on site) and are discouraged from trying to provide fare information so as not to say anything Amtrak won't deliver on.

These folks work at Selma, Southern Pines, Hamlet, Burlington, High Point, Salisbury, and Kannapolis. Someone is scheduled to be on-duty to meet every train, including the nocturnal stops of the Crescent in High Point and Salisbury.

I don't believe Gastonia which is served only by the Crescent has (or has ever had) a Caretaker. Also, the Cary station is undergoing a slow renovation and was padlocked with no Caretaker present when I boarded the Silver Start there three weeks ago.

As others have noted regarding Vermont, many of the NC Caretakers are genuine rail travel enthusiasts and the best of them are more engaging and helpful than some of the paid Amtrak agents in other NC Amtrak stations..... though NC has been fortunate to have more than it's share of 'good' Amtrak agents.

The Train Hosts who ride the Piedmonts and the Carolinian within North Carolina are unpaid volunteers. The Train Hosts (and I was one from 1994-98) complete what was then about an 6-8 hour training program and then complete a couple of training runs with an experienced train host where they must demonstrate that they are ready before being scheduled to make 'solo' runs. That training included information on Amtrak routes and schedules.....something most of us were already familiar with.....information on the local attractions and transit options at each of the North Carolina Amtrak stations, how to assist the professional train crew without interfering, and the strong admonishment that offering to assist a passenger with their luggage, while not discouraged, would be entirely at our own risk.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for all this valuable info! Are there ever train hosts at NC stations too, or are there only paid caretakers (or regular ticket agents). Does anyone know about train hosts elsewhere besides NC?

Happy Thanksgiving, btw!

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
When we rode the Portland Me train a couple years ago the train NB had a host who came thru the train with tourist info and offered to answer questions anyone had, etc. Upon return to BON it was early AM train pretty much filled with business people and students, no host observed. Maybe select trains they ride?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how they are covering trains, you might see Train Hosts waiting to board a train in Raleigh, Cary, Greensboro, Charlotte, or Rocky Mount. They would be thrilled to talk trains or NC travel..... though they are not 'on duty' until the train is boarding.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Elkhart, Indiana has a host person, but not an agent. There are no ticket sales there & no baggage service, but there were "hosts" at the station when I arrived on the Capitol and left on the Lake Shore Limited. I was amazed on the Monday after Thanksgiving when 20-25 people boarded the morning westbound LSL, many of the Amish or Mennonite. The host(ess) was amazed because both morning westbound trains had been on time. She said it was a first!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page