RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Which would you do? Montana & Spokane questions

Author Topic: Which would you do? Montana & Spokane questions
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to salvage a trip I booked to Montana early next June, but I am going to have to spend less money on hotels (i.e., stay fewer nights) if I do. Note that I am not going to Glacier Park; it's too early in the season. My #1 goal is to visit the capitol in Helena, as I am visiting state capitols and don't have all that many left to go! Since I am not going to rent any cars and buses have limited schedules, I have these questions:

Would a few hours on a weekday morning be enough time to see enough of downtown Whitefish to get the gist & enjoy it, or should I spend more time there and forget seeing Missoula and/or Spokane?

Would it be better to see Missoula than Spokane, or vice versa?

Is most of 1 day enough in Helena?

Is most of 1 day enough in Butte?

Does anyone know what the bus stations in Whitefish, Helena, Butte, Missoula, and Spokane (adjoining Amtrak) are like?

Thanks!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, while you may think I would be the last person in this life with whom you have any sort of contact to have had such a quest, that I have set foot on the ground somewhere on each of the fifty States, may come as a surprise.

But I have; and for what it worth, anyone else in my family have simply flown over them.

Hawaii is certainly tenuous, but returning from The Nam during 1968, the flight stopped at PHNL at about 0230hrs (local; 1230hr Zulu) for some two hours and I did get to go outside and stand on Hawaiian soil. Alaska was on a 1983 trip and I can recall actually first standing on the soil outside PANC.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helena and Butte can both be done in one day. Montana Railink has a good nu mber of trains in Helena and the old NP Depot with steam engine is still there.

Butte the NP Depot still stands as does the Milwaukee Road newer passenger depot now a radio station.

Missoula has both NP and Milw Stations and MRL has a large yard there.

So you could do both Witefish and Missoula in one day with Butte and Helena the next. Don't forget the Milw Little Joe and station in Deer Lodge.

Chris

PS I have ridden a train in all 50 states.

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been in Missoula, Butte, or Spokane long enough to suggest where to go and what to see. Helena is a really nice little city..I enjoyed the town the one time I was there, long ago. I don't know if there is a bus station in Whitefish.

As far as whether or not a few hours in Whitefish is enough, I would say the answer is yes and no.

You can easily walk around Whitefish and see most shops and interesting sites in a few hours. Don't miss the Great Northern RR Museum inside the Amtrak station. You might, however, wish to plan on a full day, in Whitefish, to see things in and around the town. A full day would also allow you to try out one of the Whitefish restaurants, for dinner. Even though you said you don't wish to rent a car, there is a Hertz car rental desk inside the Amtrak station if you change your mind.

Good restuarants are the Whitefish Lake Resturant, McGarry's, Tupelo, and Latitute 48. The latter 2 restaurants are downtown. For breakfast, the Buffalo Cafe. Don't miss the "Sweet Peaks" ice cream parlor on 3rd street.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:

Hawaii, South Dakota; hardly about to refute the claim, but how was that done?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:

Hawaii, South Dakota; hardly about to refute the claim, but how was that done?
Maybe the excursion railroads which are still very much alive and well in both states. The Black Hills Central RR is certainly more fun than Mt. Rushmore.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And http://www.hawaiianrailway.com/
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden on the Lahaina & Kaanapali Rail Road and it's a fun ride with great views.

http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/

Somehow, I think there is also a railroad still operating on O'ahu.

Frank in warm and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Whitefish, the Rimrock Trailways Bus Depot is the train station, which is also a comfy and roomy place to hang out. Whitefish was originally called Stumptown because the forest was so thick the main street was full of stumps. The very interesting Stumptown Museum is also in the train station http://www.stumptownhistoricalsociety.org

Whitefish is one my favorite Amtrak stations and favorite towns. Like Yukon11, I recommend the Buffalo Cafe for breakfast, only 3 blocks from Amtrak. You can see most of Whitefish in a few hours, but I think you could easily spend a day enjoying the eateries and shops as well as the woodsy historic atmosphere. It is a laid back genuine somewhat pricey tourist town. I think you can also catch a bus up to the adjacent Big Mountain ski area and take the scenic summer chairlift ride for the view.

But, see for yourself:
http://www.explorewhitefish.com/page/whitefish-montana/ew_8E42114D60EC7BB8F

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Also for summer activities, try this:
summer

The Walk-in-the-Treetops looks very unique, and the Summer Gondola is what I described in the previous post.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
South Dakota was done on a Milwaukee Road 261 Trip when we went to Sioux Falls to overnight
and I did Hawaii on the Hawaiian Railroad Society Train on Oahu.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Guenzler, the only claim I can make for South Dakota is over several MILW lines on a Hy-Rail.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, Yukon, TwinStar, thank you so much for some answers to my questions.

Anyone else with input esp on

Spokane vs Missoula, which would you do?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Chris, where did the trip to Sioux Falls start and end?
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,
I'm more partial to Missoula and Spokane, but largely because my mother's family is from there, and, as a youth, I spent my summers there. Spokane is interesting because it's in the farm belt, and quite different than the western, more high-profile, part of the state.
Missoula was the home of my great grandparents whose home is here:
http://content.lib.umt.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/pharchives&CISOPTR=3893&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

I remember spending the night there and waking up early to watch the North Coast Limited, complete with vista-domes, slide into the Missoula station.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
It was a three day trip from North Kansas City to Lincoln Day 1, Lincoln to Sioux Falls Day 2 and Sioux Falls to the Twin Cities Day 3.

Chris

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sojourner,

I have just one bit of intelligence to add and no one else has seemed to address it yet -

In Spokane Amtrak and the bus station are in the same building. It's one of the two old train stations (not sure NP or GN) and the buses arrive and depart on the second floor of the building. Amtrak waiting is on the ground floor but then you walk through a tunnel under the bus arrival/departure area to reach the few remaining railroad tracks.

The place was recently renovated, clean and safe at night when I caught the westbound Portland Builder from there in the wee hours 6 or 7 years ago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, all. I decided to skip Spokane for this trip (I'll save it for when I go to Boise). That will give me more time to see Whitefish & also time to see Missoula. That is, unless I have to cancel the trip entirely, which is also a sad possibility. But we'll see what next year brings.

Glad I'm not on the EB for the holidays . . . sounds like the usual nasty December weather in too many parts of North America.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:

I've been in all the places you mention, and I think your decision is wise. Missoula is fascinating (it's a mixture of hippies, New Agers, and leftover IWW radical unionists from the 1930s), and there is (or was) a good restaurant in the train station. Butte should not be missed, but it can easily be done in a day.

Spokane is a nice little city, but if you have to skip one...that's the one to skip.

When you get to Boise, you'll find it's a nice small city with beautiful views (been there too), but it's a long way from Spokane.

And Chris, I was on that three-day 261 trip, and I've also, like Mr. Norman, hi-railed considerable trackage in South Dakota. I've been in the Anchorage airport, too, but I have not (yet) been to Hawaii. However, I've got all the other 49 covered, each with at least two visits.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
RResor, There are buses from Salt Lake City, Spokane, and Portland--all pretty long trips, as you say! The bus ride from SLC is a little shorter than Spokane, but I've been there so I'm figuring if I ever go, I'd make a loop--get off in SLC, where bus connection is immediate, then get to Boise, then come home from Spokane and stay there too. But the bus rides do seem pretty exhausting--I'm really not sure I can do more than 5-6 hours on a bus. And mostly the dreaded Greyhound (though there may be one NW Trailways to Spokane). So, we'll see if and when I'm up for it. . . . but it's on the list.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page