RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtraks Dining Cars

Author Topic: Amtraks Dining Cars
Guy Hardy
Member # 1781

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Guy Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the States in June and rode The Crescent/City of New Orleans and Lake Shore Limited - they all had excellent refurbed dining cars on. On one train the steward told me his car was "over 40 years old" - how old are these vehicles?

------------------

Posts: 1 | From: Milford Haven/Wales/UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of the single level diners in the Amtrak fleet were built in the mid to late 50's.

The City of New Orleans uses Superliners, so that diner would have been much newer. Depending on which batch it came from, it dates back either to the early 80's or the early 90's.

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the "refurbed" diners is an ex-NYC Budd built car from 1948. Saw it myself last March in a #92 consist.

"Looking mighty good" if I may say.

"One Team, One Amtrak".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page