TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Fire on No. 48

Author Topic: Fire on No. 48
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it isn't heavy snow, it's always something else.

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2010/12/16/news/mj3846072.txt

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are additional still photos of the incident:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2010/12/15/photo-gallery-amtrak-passenger-train-engine-catches-fire-in-elyria/

I doubt if this engine will return to service; supply and demand as Amtrak wouold appear to be "flush' with P-40 & 42's. However there should be a 'trove' of parts than can be salvaged and applied to other P-42 units as needed.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaah yes, reminds me of the year (1988) I spent working on the Auto Train as we, literally, burned our way through the dwindling supply of P30 locomotives. We would leave SFA with 2,3,4,or 5 engines, depending on condition of them, and would have to stop, usually in Georgia somewhere, to extinguish and/or have fire dept. extinguish a fire, usually started by an oil leak somewhere on the engine.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is unit #112, and if I'm not mistaken, that used to be one of the engines assigned to the Coast Starlight (back when there was an "Amtrak West" unit).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I doubt if this engine will return to service

Possibly my speculation here should be reviewed. According to folks over at another site who "do this stuff for a living", the photos of this unit would suggest it could be returned to service. I still hold that Amtrak is "flush' with P-40 and P-42 locomotives having ordered enough to support the Mail & Express initiative (offset by several new services) and should write the unit off and salvage the parts.

However, Amtrak is flush nowadays with $$$$ (remember they need not return a surplus resulting from excess revenues collected) and they seem to be on a "kick" to rebuild equipment. The unit just may see revenue service again.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you consider how many P42s are needed to operate the railroad daily and how many are out for maintenance, wrecked, or char-grilled, they really don't have too many spares laying around, especially in the snow and cold of winter.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a GE thing that I wouldn't understand. Something about blowing holes in the highly-pressurized fuel lines that lead to the injectors that wobble around with a not-exactly-smooth prime mover, then the new "maintenance initiative" of not repairing things until they break, coupled with the tendency of fuel to leak all over the hot exhaust manifold leads me to believe that something was not thought out very thoroughly. FOOM! If you're lucky, you can blow the covers off the roof of the unit.
Burned units have been returned to service, depending on the severity of the fire. 203, 202, 123, 105, 52, and plenty of others have sat around for a fiscal year or two until they get fixed. This is why there are three different shades of blue on 203 on any given side of the unit, and three shades of gray on 123 and 105. Will not break!
If they can afford to totally overhaul 15 P40s up to P42 specs from the ground up, they can afford to rehab my engine after September 13 on the Crescent.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page