RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Magic in those announcements

Author Topic: Magic in those announcements
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm a romantic as well as an old fool; but the adrenaline starts pumping when ever I hear departure, or for that matter arrival announcements at train stations such as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, etc..
It goes back to the days I worked as a ground agent for a major U.S. flag airline. Announcements with destinations like, Paris, Rome, Athens, Cairo, Columbo and Bankok made my pedestrian job seem a little more glamorous. Today I still get a rush when at Boston an Acela to Washington (and its intermediate stops) is announced and the passengers begin to flood toward the departure track. I get the same feeling at other boarding points/trains such as Los Angeles, Seattle, Emeryville. Probably a function of age and as I mentioned romantics; but its magic.
Best regards,
Rodger...as mother used to opine:There's no fool like an old fool.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodger, I absolutely know how you feel, because I feel the same. In fact, I first began taking long-distance trains when I was sitting in a station waiting for a simple Empire Service train to NYC and heard the Lakeshore Ltd westbound announced. I said to myself, "I'd like to be on that train to Cleveland, or Chicago, or points west . . . " and not long afterward, I was!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodger--

I know exactly how you feel. One of my favorites movies is, aside from Steve McQueen's great performance, "Bullitt". The scenes at SFO are a blast from the past with 80% of the people dressed up and great scenes at the Pan Am gate and on the Pan Am 707. And then there's the chase on the runways with PSA planes and several other Pan Am aircraft. And, in the background, those wonderful announcements.

Years ago, when I was in the Peace Corps in Costa Rica, I was approached by the Station Manager for Pan Am about making some tapes for them to use at what was then El Coco International Airport. I could just hear myself saying "Pan American World Airways is proud to announce the arrival of Jet Clipper flight 707 from Guatemala City." I think it was cheap rum talking because it never went beyond that first suggestion.

Frank in wet and soon to be MUCH wetter SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my railroad audio tapes was of the PRR in the days of steam, mostly on the New York and Long Branch. There is a segment in there of a very stentorian voice announcing the Senator's departure from NY Penn - when it was still a real station. It is a thrill to hear him announcing the train complete with parlor car and dining car track locations. If only I had recorded announcement of other trains, like the Pan American, Florida Special, or National Limited.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can just hear Mel Blanc intoning on the old Jack Benny radio show,"Train leaving on Track Five for Anaheim, Azusa and Cucamonga."

If memory serves, somebody who wrote for Model Railroader magazine named his HO scale pike the Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga. He probably went mad trying to put all those decal letters on his passenger cars.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. K.: I'm with you on that -- but I don't think it was Mel Blanc (who was more in the Bugs Bunny league). I seem to remember that it was an announcer with a VERY pompous voice -- and he had the wonderful trick of leaving a lot of time between the "Cuc" and the "a-monga." Certainly a classic bit for those of us who were around in the days of radio!
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was Don Wilson who was the announcer. I am proud to say that I have been to all three of those cities. It was Benny who said that the name Azusa came from it having everything fro A to Z in the USA. It is apparently actually from an old Indian name. I liked Benny's story better!

Frank in wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not claiming that Wikipedia settles all bar bets, but this is what its Mel Blanc entry has to say:

"Another famous Blanc shtick on Jack’s show was the train depot announcer who inevitably intoned, sidelong, 'Train leaving on Track Five for Anaheim, Azusa, and Cucamonga'. Part of the joke was the Angeleno studio audience’s awareness that no such train existed connecting those then-small towns (years before Disneyland opened). To the wider audience, the primary joke was the pregnant pause that evolved over time between "Cuc.." and "...amonga"; eventually, minutes would pass while the skit went on as the audience awaited the inevitable conclusion of the word. (At least once, a completely different skit followed before the inevitable “...amonga” finally appeared.)"

That's all, folks. (Blanc said that, according to the piece.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in one episode, an entire show played out before Blanc got to the "amonga".
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Frank Nelson the announcer? He always was quite pompous in anything he did. He played various roles on the Benny show,always with a robust "yes.!!!"

Speaking of trains..I got a beauty coming up in May. Buffalo to Chicago on the LSL, Chi to PDX on the Builder and on to LAX on The Coast Starlight..two people, sleeper all on AGR.(I do pay from Buffalo to Toledo,keeping it two zones) Glad I saved those points..and yes, I still get excited when I am in a train station and I hear all those announcements..the most pronounced being Chicago's Union Station

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPOu5c5i6A

From ol' Guy Clark

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Not certain, but I think you can hear Blanc making the announcement at:

http://www.dailywav.com/1100/jbtrain1.wav

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of the "kooks among us" here at the Rail Forum; another older fool who likes train, air and ship boarding announcements--I remember Benny's "A, A and C" signature station call from his old B and W reruns.

Some of my favorite "objects" with an almost hypnotic attraction were the old-style mechanical "flipping letter destination boards" one would see at huge international air (and some rail) terminals such as my home port at Los Angeles. I believe they have been long replaced by their digital equivalents, but remember how the device would make that clacking sound as the letters flipped?

Then finally appearing through a meaningless amalgam of letters the name of the destination would appear-- Rome, Istanbul, Papeete, Shanghai, Bangkok, Berlin, Tokyo/Narita, Sydney, Oslo, or WHEREVER that sounded like a faraway and very good place to sometime journey to.

My other childhood wish and dream was to "find out where the railroad tracks went to." On that goal, I succeeded for the most part. I knew early on that the "travel lust" was within me, and like most here at the Rail Forum it became a lifetime pursuit.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Bob--

Yet another "blast from the past"! The first time I saw one of those boards was at Kai Tak in Hong Kong. I was mesmerized by it and could easily have missed my flight!

There was also had them at Honolulu International but I believe they are all gone now. Somehow I remember that they were made by an Italian company.

Frank in VERY wet SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solari Boards, volks.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

A video of the Newark-Penn Solari board is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dlmjuWUqI

No idea if it's still in use; the video was made in 2007.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/solari_board_bound_for_/

Unfortunately New Haven Union Station Board is soon to be history, it is going to the Danbury Train Museum. I really enjoy watching the board spin past cities no longer served or served directly. The board seems to be too expensive to repair. They also need a new board for the expanded high speed service to Springfield, talk about putting the cart before the horse!

Hey while where on a nostalgia bin here is some good news from my favorite New York Newspaper

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/metro_north_trains_has_perfect_on_pLSu0Sf9bbZwiPILq6Z9TI

If only the MTA board was as efficient with money as the trains are!

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent links, everyone! But until these mega-rains pour themselves out, I think I'll stay ensconced at home; pajama-clad with a cup of mulled wine or some other comfort...my lady friend uses the Coaster (San Diego area hvy rail commute service) and today I drove her to work in Sorrento Valley due to the tracks being flooded out. (We've got that other thread discussing this situation.) Nice to be retired, and leave these kinds of commutes to those that are still on the clocks...

I envy you, SBA Frank, for having used Hong Kong's old Kai Tak! All my China trips (6 now) have been through Beijing Int'l; however I did go in and out of the old Hongqiao port in Shanghai a couple of times, before the new Pudong Int'l was built, at the end of the MagLev Line.

I've heard on the approach to Kai Tak on a slowly lumbering 747, you could look into apartment windows there in Hong Kong's airport district and actually see people eating noodles with their chopsticks! Been told that anyway; true or not it makes a good story! Welcome to China, eh? [Smile]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Bob--

It's a true story. You could see what they were watching on TV! I'd really like to get back to China. Hong Kong was still British the last time I was there and Macau Portuguese.

I know I would not recognize Shanghai. The last time I was there there were NO highrises on the other side of the river.

I'm looking forward to seeing Vicki and Art's pictures. (Hint, Hint!)

Frank in wet, again, SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page