RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Eastern Hotels: Attn Sojourner

Author Topic: Eastern Hotels: Attn Sojourner
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working on the details of our spring cross country train trip, trying to select hotels.

Sojourner, you gave me several suggestions. I am interested in the Hotel Harrington in DC. But I do see it is a one star per Priceline and doesn't have very good reviews anywhere. You did stay there. What can you tell me? I see the location is grand and their website is very nice.

Boston is still a problem, so expensive, as much as NYC. I may be back with more questions.

I also plan to take the NEC between cities. Must I reserve these legs ahead of time? I will probably use Chase card since they use so many AGR points compared to our west coast local trains.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, I stayed in the Harrington twice, one night each time, with no problems. The first time (March 2009) I was with a friend; the second time (July 2009) by myself. The second time I arrived at 8 in the morning (I was just coming from Maryland that time) and they still gave me a room right away, maybe because it was summer--in fact, the nice check-in lady gave me a newly refurbished handicapped room, which was very comfortable! The hotel gets a lot of foreign tourists. I did not do anything there other than change, shower, and sleep, but all was fine by me, and my friend had no complaints either. The price was right, location great. Whether all experiences are as good, or all rooms as good, I don't know, and I see some negatives in tripadvisor.com, but most of those are quite a few years back, and I think they redid rooms since then. The hotel was recommended to me by others on this board, so they may have more comments. Ask for a quiet room, except if you are going in summer, avoid the top floor, which will be hot.

Before that, I had stayed once with my husband for two or three nights at the Red Roof Inn, 500 H St NW near 6th St. Again, if you stay here, ask for a quiet room. The room was a little dusty but the location also very good--walking distance (though not with a lot of heavy luggage)to Union Station, only a little further from the Mall and sites, and right by Chinatown, where we often ate inexpensively--I esp recommend Eat First, inexpensive, share Singapore-style chow fun (fat) noodle. I would have returned here but the rooms were redone and prices went up when last I checked.

Before that, I got great prices at the Capital Hilton and at a Renaissance in the Penn Quarter, but that was in the aftermath of 9-11, when prices were very low in DC. There is a Kimpton hotel, the Monaco, also in the Penn Quarter, that may have decent prices, but they won't be as low as the Harrington!

I would not recommend staying in the suburbs; you could wind up spending in taxis and on the Metro what you save on the hotel. But others may have other ideas on this score.

In Boston, the only hotel in which I've stayed in recent years is the Chandler Inn, 26 Chandler at Berkeley, S End bordering Back Bay, 800-842-3450, 617-482-3450, www.chandlerinn.com. Again, I'm certain someone at this board recommended it to me. It was walking distance of the Back Bay Station, wwhere your train will stop and you can gt off, though get your tickets to Boston South, although I wouldn't do it at night--i.e., then go all the way to Boston South to get a taxi (it isn't too far, shouldn't be too pricey at night); also, departing, I'd taxi over to Boston South if your schedule involves leaving later in the morning--i.e., then you can leave your luggage with a Red Cap or check it in the luggage room and enjoy more of the city before leaving). It was cute, a little dusty, A/C old, shower pressure surprisingly good; however, even when we stayed there we thought it somewhat overpriced, and last I checked, rates were over $150/night.

Have you looked into using your AGR points for a hotel room? I've never done that with AGR points, but it's something to consider.

Re the NEC: I would reserve and pay ahead of time for the best rates; you can always change for no fee (although of course the new train to which you change may no longer have the best rates, there may even be specials that ARE lower closer to the day). I never use AGR points for NEC trains, but you may prefer otherwise.

What is your itinerary? Are you stoping in Philly or Baltimore as well as NYC, Boston, and DC? Maybe I can make some recs that will save you some money or maximize your tourist time if I know the full itinerary.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Marriott Courtyard has "rooms with a view":

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasus-courtyard-washington-dc-us-capitol/

I've never stayed there, but IIRC, Mr. Resor has reported here that he has.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sojourner. My intinerary is Boston, NYC, Philly, DC and Fort Lauderdale.

The Harrington is not inexpensive and I am concerned that its low ratings and higher price don't match. The Capital Hilton is actually cheaper and is three star.

Regarding luggage on the NEC, will I be able to check it?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! If the Capitol Hilton is cheaper than the Harrington, then by all means stay at the Hilton. I am quite amazed; I paid $109 at the Harrington last summer (2009), room with queen bed, Triple A rate. I would never have recommended it if I'd known it had high prices. The Hilton was appreciably more! But maybe that was a summer rate or something? Still, if the Harrington is so much higher than summer 2009, I'm surprised the Hilton isn't higher still--are you sure you have the right Hilton, Capital Hilton, 1001 16th St at K St NW, 1-202-393-1000? Maybe you have one further away; there's a big one up past DuPont Circle (the one where Reagan was shot). Even the Capital Hilton is not as convenient to Union Station as the other hotels mentioned--but it's very near the White House and quite nice (and is also a very good breakfast place open weekdays only, called Bread Line).

Closer to Union Station, in the Penn Quarter, (where the Harrington is) are two Marriott chain hotels, Marriott Renaissance, 999 9th St NW, where I stayed after 9-11l; and Courtyard by Marriott Convention Ctr, 900 F St NW, nr MCI Ctr, 202-638-4600, 1-800-MARRIOTT. I'd check them too, and Kimpton's Hotel Monaco, again in that area. The Renaissance was very nice and had a pretty good continental breakfast; I don't knwo the Courtyard.

There are no luggage cars on NEC trains. You can put your luggage in the front or back of any car rather than attempt to put it up top, and there are Red Caps at all stations you are going to who can help you if need be. In Boston and Philly, they will be helpful in getting you to any ACELA Lounges or luggage checking; in NYC they will be especially helpful in getting on the NEC train early. I don't use them when boarding l-d trains since I have a reserved roomette and sleeper passengers are let out of the Club ACELA to get on the train as early as or earlier than Red Caps get me on, but you may find them helpful with luggage regardless.

The way I think you can save a little is if you leave NYP late in the afternoon for Philly, staying there an extra night and one night less in NY. Philly hotels are definitely less than NY, and it's a pretty quick trip. The Alex Inn, where we stayed 3 years ago, had good rates for a room with a queen bed; it's an older hotel, great location, very nice breakfast. But, you know, maybe I shouldn't be giving advice, since I haven't been there in 3 years! I'm worried my info is dated.

If you don't mind doing it with luggage, you can even use NJ Transit and SEPTA to get to Philly, definitely cheaper, but not as comfortable and takes longer--you have to cross the tracks to catch the SEPTA in Trenton and there is often a bit of a wait (on the train; I think it starts there). You can take SEPTA beyond Philly 30th Street closer to downtown POhilly, although 30th St might be best if you need a taxi--others here will have more info on all this.

As for Boston, you can probably save by staying in Cambridge, but it could mean a high cab fare. MTA (MBTA) goes there too, but I don't know that you want to do that with luggage. Again, ask questions of others here; I believe there are some Boston folk . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,
You might also check whether the Hilton in Boston is in your price range. The problem for us who live here is that we never have occasion to stay in the hotels. We can certainly tell you whether the location is any good. Also, springtime is an active time for the hotel business here; book early.
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God point, TBlack. Washington has the cherry blossom festival for a week in the spring so prices go up and the crowds are huge. I would make reservations early.Also all the stations in the nec do not have red caps.You can check the time tables and see who has checked baggage. We always ue a red cap in DC because they board you early and that gives you a choice of seat. Also they take you down in the electric cart unless the venue has changed. you might want to check some of the hotels onthe Va side of the river.Metro is not that expensive and Rossyln has or had reasonably price hotels and motels.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
TBlack - I have made my backup reservation at the Harborside Inn at the corner of State and Atlantic. Trolley right there as is a T station. Near the aquarium. Seem like a good location?

Sojourner - I am sticking with the Harrington for now but may change it. It is indeed the Hilton Capital (with an a) that has a lower rate, about $15 less. And I booked the Alexander Inn in Philly, sounds great.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Hope you enjoy everything, Vicki. For me, if the Hilton is less, I'd opt to stay there because (a) the hotel was really nice when we were there; (b) you get bonus AGR points for Hilton-chain stays (if you give them your AGR number when you book); and (c) the taxi ride from Union Station wouldn't be that much more (certainly not $15 more). True, the location is a little less convenient for some things, but it's more convenient for others. You might also look into joining Hilton Honors; you can get a free night in the Hilton chain eventually in future if you do.

I really don't know how you are getting a cheaper rate for the Capital Hilton, but you are very lucky to get it. I just checked picking a spring date out of a hat and it was over $300 a night. The Harrington, even at the higher rates they seem to charge in spring, was $155, and $139 with Triple A.

A tip re the Alexander Inn: Remember to bring your booking printout with you. They are really nice but sometimes run confusing specials; one time they quoted me a different, higher price on arrival than the one I had booked for--but when I showed them the booking printout, they corrected it. One little thing I really liked that they did--if you stay there more than one night, they will make you some business cards for your hotel stay (ask when you check in). One little possible problem there: There were a couple of steps to enter the hotel (it's a renovated oldfashioned apartment-house-type building)--if you have trouble going up with luggage, you can ask at the desk for help.

Hope you enjoy everything. Let me know if you want tips on some sites and eateries. How long are you planning to stay in each place? What month are you going?

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Sojourner, the Capital Hilton for my dates, 4/14-4/17/11 is AAA rate $149 for the first night and $141 for the next two nights. In fact, they have a $134 rate but it is non-refundable. This is the place on K and 16th, near the White House. I was at $155 for the Harrington as I chose the slightly larger room. And yes, I do have Hilton Honors linked to AGR points.

Thanks for all your help. I now have to pick something in NYC and have several suggestions you gave me last summer. I do hope Priceline will help me here but I need a backup hotel first. All this travel is from 4/5 to 4/17/11.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Those rates are absolutely terrific for the Capital Hilton, Vicki. I would definitely stay there over the Harrington in terms of niceness of the hotel; I am amazed at those rates. When I asked for some late March dates they were not only much higher but full up; and for late April over $300 even for AAA rate (I never get any nonrefundable rates).

I hope it all works out for you.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Picked the Herald Square in NYC, rec. by Chris G per Sojourner. Looks great, near Penn Station, nice reviews, good price.

Can't thank you all enough for the help. I may have more questions related to the train portions as the time gets closer.

--------------------

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,
I think Harborside sounds like a good choice. It's in the business district, so it's safe and should be quiet at night. Furthermore, the building is an old granite structure that has been gutted inside so plumbing, HVAC, etc. are all new. Access from Back Bay Station is best by T if baggage is managable. To the hotel from station is Orange line to State St.(4 stops); change to Blue line to Aquarium (1 stop); there's an exit from the Aquarium station that puts you right in front of your hotel. It'll be the west exit back in the direction FROM which your train arrived in the station.

You've not mentioned how much time you can spend with us, so I haven't offered more in the way of things to do/see. If I can be helpful that way, please let me know.

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Same with me, Vicki--happy to give you some ideas of what to do & see; also if you need walking directions to hotel from Penn Station (it is definitely walking distance) etc. Have you been to any of these cities/train stations before?
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Haven't been to any of these stations before. And I am somewhat confused by TBlack referring to Back Bay Station as I thought the station was called South. As I said, I know I will have more train related questions, have never traveled on the NEC.

I do plan to take the HOHO trolleys in all the cities.

--------------------

TBlack
Member # 181

Vicki,
There are 3 train stations in Boston: North Station, South Station, and Back Bay Station. The NEC, coming from NYC stops first at Back Bay Station (BBY in Amtrakese) and then, 5 minutes later, terminates at South Station. If you're taking the subway, you need the orange line to get you to State St. That line comes into BBY but not South Station. If you want to cab-it then get off the train at South Station, because it is closer to the hotel.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the subway is going to cost you $2/person = $4 total if Art is with you. The cab ride from South Station is going to cost about the same and probably get you there faster and with no hassle about the luggage.

Tom

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Thanks TBlack, I thought I wanted South Station and we would take a cab. Will have a moderate amount of luggage as we are traveling a total of six weeks. And we are old. And getting older by the minute.

GBN - the stop in Chicago will be April 3rd, Zephyr to the LSL, should be time for dinner? How's your schedule? Feel free to send me a private message. You once had my email too. I think you have changed yours since last I emailed you.

--------------------

TBlack
Member # 181

Vicki,
Not any older than GBN or me. I like to think we're all experienced!

Let me know if I can help with your stay here; I'm reading that you arrive April 5, but for how long?

Tom

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Boston will be 4/5 through 4/8. We go to NYC on the 8th. We plan to buy the HOHO bus, good for 48 hours. I have been to Boston once, years ago, Art has never been there. I will be studying up and will have questions for sure.

PS - I am not as old as GBN but Art is older. Hah!

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Who are these "old" people you are talking about? Having met both you and Mr. Art, and Mr. Black as well, I would say that "experienced" or "mature" might be a better descriptive!

Frank in sunny and drying SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
I like "experienced". And thanks for letting me know TBlack is a mister. I wonder if he would like to meet in Boston?

Also got your second card - loved the pictures from around the world.

--------------------

TBlack
Member # 181

Vicki,
I thought you'd never ask!! Lunch on the 6th or 7th? I'm there! Also, I'll bring a camera so we can send GBN a picture.

Frank's not old; check out his itinerary on the "Cruise or Amtrak" thread (down at the bottom). Boy, that guy gets around!

Actually, I'm not a mister; just plain Tom Black. I once had someone think I was famous because obviously my name was made up to disguise my real name. Gad! some people's imaginations!

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Tom - check your private mail here. We can arrange something.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page