RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak X2000 (Charlotte NC)

Author Topic: Amtrak X2000 (Charlotte NC)
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A postcard and some pictures I took and have scanned of her visit (I believe this was in 1993):

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never heard of this train! Does it still exist, such as in a museum?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The X2000 was (is?) a Swedish train which Amtrak experimented with for 6 months in 1993. It uses overhead power (so Amtrak had to tow it to display beyond the Northeast Corridor.

Acela's tilting technology is based on the results of their testing the X2000.

Amtrak briefly tested this train in revenue service between New York and Washington and I had a chance to ride it from DC to Philadelphia. It was a great ride.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Amtrak would have had better 'highspeed' rail for lower expense on the NEC had they bought the X2000 'off-the-shelf' with it's existing technology instead of jumping through the hoops to get the Acela up and running.

Geoff..... I would imagine that the trains running in Sweden today are descended from the X2000.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The X-2000 was "one that got away" on me.

I attempted to view it during a May 1993 auto trip out East. It was supposed to be assigned to a 3PM Metroliner and I had time to observe it passing through Seabrook MD. I arrived there about 245P; and went up to the station platform without any kind of camera or other railfan paraphernalia.

First, a Seabrook PD squad drives up; says nothing to me but probably observing and "running' my Illinois tagged auto (1992 Acura Coupe); they leave. Next an Amtrak C&S crew drives up and just kind of sits saying nothing to me.

It is now about 310P and no sign of the X2000 Metroliner; but I am feeling "very uncomfortable' and get on my way to Dover DE.

If I was that "chicken' about railfanning back when 911 meant nothing other than Emergency Service, not too hard to think how I am today.

On my almost Daily walk on a public sidewalk "with a view" from 18.32 to 17.85 and back, I'm always walking. Having lived here thirty two years, every cop in town has seen me doing such.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Geoff..... I would imagine that the trains running in Sweden today are descended from the X2000.

We've done work for Norwegian railways and had interest from Danish railways, plus a personal trip there, but my experiences of Sweden are limited to a boat ride from Copenhagen (Denmark) to Malmo for a plank steak, a credit card fraud, and a train ride back to Copenhagen over the Orendsmumblemumblelongwords road/rail bridge. Maybe I should go back!

I'd assumed that the train was purpose built rather than borrowed given the Amtrak livery, but I guess vinyls are easy to apply and remove, as indeed paint if vinyls didn't exist in those days.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

First, a Seabrook PD squad drives up; says nothing to me but probably observing and "running' my Illinois tagged auto (1992 Acura Coupe); they leave. Next an Amtrak C&S crew drives up and just kind of sits saying nothing to me.

It is now about 310P and no sign of the X2000 Metroliner; but I am feeling "very uncomfortable' and get on my way to Dover DE.

Gil, before there were terrorists there were "dangerous criminal accountants." You obviously fit the profile!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He might have been carrying a slide rule or some other instrument of 'math instruction'!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A slide rule? In 1993? I suppose he was also carrying a typewriter to record any random thoughts.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Mr. Twin Star, both a slide rule and typewriters have been used along the way. I still use a typewriter to address envelopes as darned if I have ever fuigured out how to make the computer's printer do so (and darned if I ever will).

Cell phone? I have one but haven't used it for any call, made or received, since Thanksgiving. A Jitterbug, a phone marketed to elderly people, would be just fine, however I have an LG (clamshell design) that supports the Bluetooth hands free and through the audio I have in my auto.

Since I can't read the screen on any of those electronic playthings such as an i-phone, why bother having one (likely the next time I need a new phone, those will only be what is available from outlets such as Verizon. Then I just get a Jitterbug)?

In short, I could care less if there is an at-seat power outlet in any Amtrak accommodation.

But for what it be worth, I'm pretty sure I was first kid on the block with a home computer (1982), a cell phone mounted in my auto (1984), a fax (1985), and caller ID (1993).

I've been "on line' since 1999, but that was largely prompted by a need for a Y2K compatible computer. Who knows, had I bought a "box' long about 1997 that would have been Y2K ready, instead of during 1993, I could well still not be on line today.

I'm on Linkedin because a neighbor "friended' me and I didn't want to insult her by declining, But Facebook, what's that?

So much for my very off-topic "electronic CV".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

I well remember the first time I saw a pocket calculator. I think 1972. The contractor bought his surveyors one. When I saw it I could have cried. It was only a few years since I been out surveying and we had a 20 to 30 pound hand crank calculator plus a thick bood of 8 decimal place trig values, and here he has it all in a few ounces. (Why hand crank calculator way in to the age of electricity? Ever tried to find a tree with a power outline?)

My first pocket calculator cost me $99.00 and I got it just before qualifying to take the PE exam. Still carried my slide rule to the exam, as the pocket calculator would not do fractional powers, which are necessary in some hydraulics problems.

And yes, I remember the X2000 making its tour. AFter Amtrak's experiences with the French Turbo train, they may have been a little skeptical about the success of equpment designed for European conditions.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Referencing my "electronic CV" again, just yesterday I took over to some former neighbors (they bought; about a mile away within the same school district), with whom we had talked about going to the Symphony together, a print season calendar. On it I typed using a typewriter on its cover my e-mail as I wanted no handwriting confusion as well as some perfunctory comment to the effect of "Scott/Louise, look it over and let me know...'.

I had intended to simply leave it by their door, but it turned out she was there. She looked at it and said "how did you get that on there???" "Louise, (a fortysomething perfectly computer literate Australian gal) that's a typewriter....; yes dear, I have one!!!!".

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two typewriters; one a 1977 model Smith-Corona electric which was a gift from my parents upon entering high school. It motivated me to sign up for typing class in 9th grade, which as it turns out was one of my better curriculum choices. I also have a 20s-30s vintage open frame L.C. Smith & Corona manual which I liberated (with the pastor's permission) from a storage closet at church.

I really haven't used the manual in many years, but as there are still actual typewriter repair shops to be found in a city the size of Houston I took the electric in for cleaning and servicing about two years ago. It still runs like a champ.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Here's something about the X2000 which I had forgotten until looking again at your pictures -

In the bottom picture on the bottom right side notice how the four inches (or so) of the table flips up to allow more room for sliding in and out of the seating? I also liked how things such as the tray tables were done in a 'wood' accent against the blue upholstery....

This was a very classy train and I recall that it barely felt like we were moving more than 60mph even at 135. I recall the conductor informing us that, in order to be safe, we were going to slow down to 85mph for one of the bridges north of Baltimore.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page