RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak - Out of Sight Out of Mind - American Express

Author Topic: Amtrak - Out of Sight Out of Mind - American Express
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, I had reason to call American Express about a trivial administrative matter, i.e. change of billing cycle date to better meet my payment schedule. From having held the card for almost 41 years, I know that any call to them means having to listen to a sales pitch for some "plus sell" product.

Usually, they "let me off" with just travel insurance, upgrade to their additional fee rewards plan, or ID theft protection. But today they decided to go for "all the marbles' or, otherwise a Platinum Card - I presently have Gold. The pitch started in with announcing a $450 annual fee ($85 for my existing Gold which will be $125 next renewal), but from there the lady moved into "the benefits'.... use of most any airline's Lounge, early check in/out at major brand hotels, upgrades on auto rentals...blah, blah, blah. It seems like the lady already knew I had 21 hotel nights and two air travel trips during 2010 and therefore that card was "right for me".

Sure, hey!!!!!

Of interest, she did not mention the three Amtrak trips I had during 2010; also makes me wonder why Amtrak could not participate by offering Acela/Met Lounge to any passenger holding this card.

All told, the pitch ended with a line that had I said NO, she would have had authority to sign me up. The whole charade rather annoyed me, and really makes me question why I continue to hold an AMEX (probably simply to "make a statement' that I pay my Travel & Entertainment bills in full each month).

Something tells me that anyone else here who holds American Express has gone through the same ordeal.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. GBN, I gave up with AE years ago for some of the reasons you mention. However I now have a CC that costs me nothing and pays me, in cash, 2% of my charges. This cash payment is posted in my bank account within two days after I make my monthly payment, which is of course the amount owed in full.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my credit situation is somewhat tenuous, so I "leave home without it." I get by with using a debit card with a VISA logo and being an "authorized user" on a couple of my wife's cards (she having a less tenuous credit situation).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that I live in the proximity of KORD, this means that any flight I'm going to take will be non-stop. Even if I have the "hour to spare" on the right side of security, I can just as easily get an overpriced drink and/or lunch from Berghoff or Tuscany (outlets at United Term #1). - take a lot of those to recover that $450 - and who said drinks are free in an airline's Club? (what times I've been in United's over the years I remember paying for them).

So far as "early/late check in/out" at hotels, I'll bet there is a regular Amtrak passenger or two around here who could put that perk to use. but for me, I can't think of a trip last year where I had need for such (whoops, last May I took my Sister to Lunch at Greenwich Hyatt - even if I don't "houseguest', they still "did things' for me; I didn't check out until after the Lunch was over - 1230P - and a $60 Lunch tab on my bill).

Auto rentals, I'll ask for (and pay for) "full size" (really "mid-size') Toyota Camry, Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala as that is the size I'm used to with owning a Lexus GS300. I don't need an "upgrade' to, say, a Ford Crown Vic or an SUV (last time I drove one of those tanks - Vic - was responding to a family emergency during 2001 - it was drive what they gave you to drive - and hope the traffic between KLGA and Greenwich would allow me to "make it in time").

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

So far as "early/late check in/out" at hotels, I'll bet there is a regular Amtrak passenger or two around here who could put that perk to use.

I am one, Mr. Norman, who would like to take advantage of that perk. Are you saying early check ins and late check outs are possible with an AE Platinum card? If so, I don't think it's worth #450/month. I thought that the hotel/motel's policy is the only thing applicable.

Last summer, on my way to Whitefish on the Builder, I stayed at an up-scale hotel (Westin) in Seattle hoping they would allow me an early check in and late check out (the EB leaves Seattle at 4:40 PM). The Westin did not allow me either even though I offered to pay them for the late check out.

I am still thinking of a trip to the Izaak Walton Inn. However, the Builder gets in, eastbound, at 8:55 AM and leaves, westbound, at 7:41 PM. An early check in and late check out would really come in handy. However, from what I can tell, the Izaak Walton Inn doesn't allow early check ins or late check outs even if you pay for such.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
$450 Annual Fee, vice $450/mo Richard.

American Express does have one that likely runs $450 a month. That is their Centurion which is not advertised and is available only by specific invitation. However its "guest list" is comprised of the Bill Gates and Shiek Amir Whoever types.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's just say I know a major company that has/uses American Express to do corporate travke, but the company credit cards say VISA.

Any credit/charge/debit card that has more than the most minimal of fees, if any, does not have me as a customer. As to the status issue: I don't care.

Now, when ic comes to rent cars, I do want something with size to it. I tell them, "I want something I get in, not put on."

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is somewhat reminiscent of the dialogue from the film, "Up In The Air." Great flick, by the way, and a tour de force performance by George Clooney, among others.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It seems as if American Express takes the maxim of 'every call is a marketing opportunity" to the hilt. Needless to say, I'm signed up for every "do not call" list known to man, so those with whom I do business, and are exempt under the law, have to "look for the openings to get one in".

Otherwise, I'm not looking forward to the next salvo. I have chosen to heave a USBank VISA in favor of one issued by Capital One (I think the Barbarians are fun to watch - especially when they were Flight Attendants). Seems like USBank has now charged a $39 Annual Fee, but have an interst rate much lower than "market' (8% v. 13%). Since the latter is of no concern to me, "they're gone'. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...' when I call them up to give 'em the news.

Oh well, I guess AMEX Centurion holders don't have to go through the "plus sell' drill; what else is there to sell them?

However, to return to a more Amtrak related thought, I would think that Amtrak could address their "partner hotels', i.e. the ones they seem to have "deals' with, to ensure that Amtrak passengers get priority with early/late check-in/out. I'm well aware that such is simply a property of supply and demand as I don't think any hotel would deliberately have their guests waiting around for some arbitrary time if rooms were ready or the housekeeping staff was not 'waiting around' for a late check out.

Finally, I don't think that any kind of auto rental perks would be of value as, to put it mildly, it seems like most Amtrak passengers simply don't rent.

pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also an Amex cardholder and recently found out a way to save on the annual fee (for some of us anyway). Ask them about "Gold Senior". The cost is less and the benefits are the same. This not an "upsell" they will tell you about! My wife noticed a mention of it in a travel article.
Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
- and who said drinks are free in an airline's Club? (what times I've been in United's over the years I remember paying for them).
Mr. Norman--

I hope that this quote works.

Wine, Beer and Cocktails have been complimentary in Continental's Presidents Club for many years. With the upcoming merger of "Legacy Continental" and "Legacy United" into "NEW United" one of the better changes has been to make the United Red Carpet Club policy the same as that at Continental. There is also now free wi-fi in both clubs (and right outside if you can find a comfy spot.) One of the reasons I gave up my RCC membership years ago was that nobody there could explain why I had to pay 50 cents for a soft drink that was free on the airplane.

The combined clubs will be -- are you ready for this bit of creativity -- The United Club.

I have yet to hear what will happen to my Lifetime membership in "The P Club".

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here's more on the AMEX Senior Gold Card:

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/12/20/2010-12-20_a_gold_card_for_seniors_golden_years.html

"Short and Sweet": Over age 62, fee $55 v. $125 for regular Gold.

I was unaware they offered such; not too likely that lady shaking me down for a Platinum was about to mention it.

It seems as if the enacted Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act of 2009 is benefitting the "bad boys" at the expense of what I believe to be the vast majority of those here at the forum. Amex Gold going up from $85 to $125 (more if you want travel rewards); formerly no fee cards like the USBank Visa I noted earlier, now imposing such, and all of this because the issuers were "bad to the bad boys".

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never held an AmEx card. Could any holders explain what "benefits" exist therein to justify any annual fee, much less $450/year? I do not trvel as much as a lot of folks on this forum, but I've never yet had a hotel turn me down for a late check out when requested, although several say no to an early check in.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who is eligible for enrollment in USAA should use their MasterCards. They have the usual levels (regular, gold, platinum, etc)....fee free, low interest rate for those who don't pay off their bills each month, and you're with one of the best companies in the world. USAA continues to receive the highest ratings among all of the US banks in the annual Consumer Reports banking surveys. Same with their insurance. Anyone who is a USAA member knows what I'm talking about. I just got my "Quarter Century Member" bumper sticker in the mail yesterday. Hard to believe it's been that long.

But I have no use for any credit card that charges a fee. I'm sure there are perks offered that cardholders like, but I have never found anything worthwhile. Early check-in/check-out from hotels is something I've always gotten when politely requested. I've never needed a special credit card for that.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Smitty. I wish AAA, in their tourbooks, would tell you if an early check in or late check out is possible and, if so, if an additional fee is required.

I have had USAA automobile insurance for over 30 years..they are a good outfit.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I got my "Quarter Century" decal from them way back in 1989. We parted ways a few years back because I had a bit of a "cash flow" problem and needed to access the money they had in my "Subscriber's Savings Account" which was quite substantial after (by then) nearly 35 years.

Do they still have that "SSA" feature or did they drop it?

Anyway, they are soliciting me to come back into the fold; I have Florida Farm Bureau now, but I think I'm paying too much.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Canada,some Amex cards are free. I have held the cash back "blue card" for many years. In addition to not having to pay an annual fee, I receive money back every year. It's not very much (about $100) however it is a free card and I do like being paid to use this card. I also hold a Royal Bank platinum card that is also free, and it has free loss damage waiver for rent-a-cars which saves me at least $20 a day. As for early chech in/check out, I would never pay for that, as usually I can persuade the hotel to let me in or out at unusual hours.As for airline lounges, if one flys first or business the major airlines will usually have the lounges with complmentary drinks etc. There are also companies that sell access to lounges for a reasonable fee. Altogether not worth paying for a credit card unless it has really great benefits.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The Capital One Venture Visa has been received and is now active. I've now made my last charge to the USBank Visa and have paid them off in full. Give it five or so days for the payment to be recorded, call 'em up to confirm the zero balance, then hang up the Adios drumhead for them.

"It will be sport' to see how many counter-offers I must fend off. I'm not mad at USBank over anything (I'm more mad at AMEX as to why can't a Member of 41 years standing make a routine inquiry without being aggressively hustled for another product); it is simply a case that their business plan of lower interest rates but with an annual fee attached simply is not the best arrangement for me.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
As for airline lounges, if one flys first or business the major airlines will usually have the lounges with complmentary drinks etc.

Perhaps this is true in Canada but here in the States access to the clubs is generally only for International First and Business.

The last time I was in the P-Club at LAX I saw an Amex card holder denied entrance. The receptionist had a nice laminated card that showed all of the Amex cards that did NOT allow access and the one or two that did.

Day passes for the Presidents Club and the Red Carpet Club are available for $50.00. That is for one person with no guest privileges. I have seen passes on E-Bay but I would be cautious about those. There is also a laminated card which shows which of those are no longer valid, etc.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, to update on the credit card matters (and also as a means to show that my ISP and Trainweb's server are again on speaking terms), I called USBank and simply said Adios. They wanted to know why and I told them while I'm not mad at them for anything, their business model of offering lower than market interest rates (8.5%) in exchange for an annual fee ($39) was simply not best for me.

And so the account was closed with cordial farewells on both our parts.

Now to American Express; I was unaware of the Senior Gold so I thank Mr. Pelican for noting it at this topic. My inquiry to Amex went along the line of me asking "what will be the fee next year on the Gold', response "$85; but for long standing members like you, Mr. Norman, we can offer you a Senior Gold with all existing privileges (I don't have travel rewards) you now have for only $55 a year".

"Fine, I'll take it".

Apparently, if you are in good standing and you give any hints that you might check out (I guess asking "how much" was taken as a "signal' by this Rep), they'll tell you about Senior Gold. You can be sure that lady I tangled with last week wasn't about to.

Otherwise, I trust others who were cut off during the outage will soon be restored if not already the case.

Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past week TrainWeb has been moving the site to a new server. Different areas of TW have been affected at different times. I'm just back on now and I suspect most will be connected shortly.
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Senior Gold showed up today from American Express; card looks exactly the same as a Gold; no change in either Account Number or the "Member Since" date.

Again Mr. Pelican, thanks for telling the Forum about Senior Gold as apparently American Express is not about to do so - absent any implication from a qualifying Member that they just might check out.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN's action led me to tell my wife (a Gold card holder who was thinking about dumping Am Express) about the Senior Gold. She called and asked what they would do for her to keep her business. Now she has a new Senior Gold at the reduced rate -- and got a partial refund on the standard Gold yearly fee.

What's that they say about squeaky wheels?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it helped some folks. I don't remember how I found out about it, doubt it was in a mailing from Amex though!

I don't use mine as much as I did, I now prefer to use my Amtrak GR card. I used the GR points for a round trip to Denver this fall and it was great.

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page