TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » La Posada

Author Topic: La Posada
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are taking No. 3 to Winslow, Arizona, in April and booked a room at the vaunted La Posada Hotel, much praised on this forum.

To my astonishment La Posada charged my credit card right away, the full amount for two nights.

Is this a common occurrence? I don't recall ever booking a hotel that charged the card right away, only on departure.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I'm no expert on this but I think that your card is not technically "charged" (as in accruing interest charges) but rather the funds are kind of encumbered or tied up, so to speak.

Maybe some more experienced travelers on here can explain it better, using the correct terminology.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Encumbered" is probably the best explanation. I've had it happen before but usually not this far out. Are you going to be there on a holiday weekend? I haven't checked yet to see when Easter falls this year.

Frank in wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a room there- the staff calls it the "owner's room." Some here might also know about this room; I believe it's kind of along the lines of a honeymoon room. It has a balcony that looks out onto the railroad and some pretty fabulous features in the room itself, such as art, special tiles, other stuff. I paid about $145 for it a few months ago-- without a reservation! Just walked in and they showed it to me and -- SOLD!

That was the GOOD part of my La Posada experience. Our dinner in their "best restaurant in the country" so they said/ the "fine dining" establishment at La Posada was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish, in almost every way imaginable. I won't go into it here. The next morning, it took me 45 minutes to tell the story to the Gen'l Manager of the place. It's my hope that the server who exploded our evening is no longer there to destroy yours as well, Henry. The worst waiter I've ever had in my life, serving (badly) an abysmal meal. Incredible at those price points!

But good luck- it's a swell place overall...you fall asleep to the rumblings of the BNSF, all night long. Be sure to try to rise a bit early, get a steaming cup of the complimentary lobby coffee and wander out to the platform, where you can schmooze with the other guests in the crisp clean Arizona air.

Edited to say: The morning manager did everything he could to "make it right" for us the next day, including complimentary meals all day long. Yeah, that bad.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised they charged you for two nights. Not that unusual to get a one night charge - especially at a resort destination or a B&B. We have trip planned to the NC mountains in April and were charged our first night at a B&B and the Pisgah Inn. But I like to rationalize it by getting that expense out of the way before all the trip costs hit. Makes your stay almost free!

Too bad about RR Bob's experience. We have had nothing but great meals, and service, at La Posada.

While Winslow is certainly warmer than Flagstaff (where we saw snow last May), the weather can be fickle. During our stay at La Posada we left on a beautiful morning for a hike at the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert NP. That afternoon the wind blew - and blew - almost knocking us off the trail and blowing off my wife's glasses. When we got back to La Posada, they had closed I-40 west of town as well as the BNSF.

In addition to the NP, there are other good spots to visit including:
Second Mesa
Natural Bridge SP
Hubbell Trading Post
Meteor Crater
We find northern Arizona far more interesting than the 'Valley of the Sun'.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another great place tovisit is Canyon de Chelly. The canyons are magnificant but in order to go down into them you must hire a guide. There is camping and hiking in the area and the thunderbird Lodge while not luxury is a comfortableplace to stay. We had planned to go down with a guide but the weather changed and we had a huge rain storm. Since we were under time constraints(getting back to Denver and the CZ) we had to forego that. It is hard to believe that people still live there in the canyons.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the Petrified Forest with my wife on a visit in 1997. We've been intending to go back for the meteor crater ever since...... perhaps the La Posada will be sufficient inducement to work some trains in to the vacation as well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,
April 24th is Easter. Thus that weekend is a long holiday weekend and might explain the early charge on your credit card.
I have also had hotels "charge" $1 on the day I have booked and then "credited" my account the next day. It is their way to verify that it is a correct card number and is an active account.
Dee
(Oh and do remember to have your photo taken next to the statue to show you were there --- "standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ")

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're going the first week in April -- we NEVER travel at holiday time. Stuff is just too expensive.

We are taking along proof (printout of on-line card activity list) that the card already was charged, just in case.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. We'll have a car, and we'll be visiting Meteor Crater and the Hopi ruins state park just north of town. That park has been closed (for budgetary reasons) since February 2010 but is reopening in the middle of March.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which car rental agency serves Winslow, and are they open at train time?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

We're using Dollar Rent-a-Car, 928-289-1993. They're bringing the car to the hotel the morning after we arrive, and we will deliver the car back to the agency before they close in the afternoon (5 pm I think) and they will give us a ride back to the hotel.

I don't know if they'll bring a car at train time in the evening. This is a pretty small burg.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:

(Oh and do remember to have your photo taken next to the statue to show you were there --- "standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ")

"Such a fine sight to see....."

I had breakfast at a truckstop in Winslow, AZ once.....but that's another story.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me to listen to my Eagles CD again. Need a dose of "Hotel California."
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I have been assured in an offline message that La Posada normally charges a card upon booking, that I am not being singled out because I am a damyankee from Chicago. (My wife did say the booking clerk did not tell her that the card would be charged.)
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By damn by damn, a yankee comes,
Get out the weapons and sound the drums;
Ere' soon we'll be o'er run and teeming.
Though, truth be told, some have redeeming
qualities - like credit cards
upon which we can add a charge
(or two) lest they do not us suit
And send em back to the land of their roots.

I stayed at La Posada some years ago and it was very nice and the food was good,

I second train lady's recommendation of Canyon de Chelly as a quite remarkable hike. I stopped there on my Great Western Odessey, (3 months 8000 miles) in my yellow super beetle. Intended to camp just one night and move on, but stayed 3 days and 2 nights hiking the canyons and looking at the petroglyphs. walking barefoot in the river. Stars by night.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been to Meteor Crater. Overpriced and boring (big hole in the ground). But the drive out and back was nice.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Ira! Terrific!
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Hank!!
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:

Too bad about RR Bob's experience. We have had nothing but great meals, and service, at La Posada.

While Winslow is certainly warmer than Flagstaff (where we saw snow last May), the weather can be fickle. During our stay at La Posada we left on a beautiful morning for a hike at the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert NP. That afternoon the wind blew - and blew - almost knocking us off the trail and blowing off my wife's glasses. When we got back to La Posada, they had closed I-40 west of town as well as the BNSF.

True that-- the very day I rolled out of La Posada west on the "Forty"-- I learned later that the entrance ramp there in Winslow to I-40 W had the barricade swung over and locked by the NMHP. 40 was CLOSED to any new (entering) traffic.
Those winds out there can be fickle and fierce; only a couple of days earlier, my lady friend lost my brand new Amtrak ball cap up near the Bright Angel trailhead at the GC; off it went down toward the Colorado.

I still had an excellent time at La Posada; but to this day I cannot figure out why my server at dinner "called me out." I'm a pretty taciturn and non-confrontational kind of graybeard, but he seemed to want to "settle things out by the tracks." Go figure; everybody has a bad day now and then, eh? [Wink] I'm sure that restaurant is excellent 99% of the time, I just fell in the other 1%. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Every now and then we all just get "one of those places".

A couple of 'hotel stories'..... one bad, the other not.

My 'one of those places' was a (insert national chain) in Corbin, KY. We arrived about 10:00pm and were given a lesser room than what I had booked online. (We were traveling with an infant and had intentionally booked the suite style room)

I complained (politely but firmly) and was told by the front desk clerk that every room in their hotel was like mine and that their were none like what my confirmation page said in their hotel.

This was an outright lie and I knew that because I had stayed less than 12 months earlier in that type of room in that very same hotel.

Although very angry, I calmy pointed this out to the clerk and she begrudgingly offered to move us to that type of room.... but it was on the fourth floor and their elevator was out of order.....

We stayed put and the manager the next morning offered me a 30% discount on the room. I had demanded a full refund and argued for such because the hotel had cards in the room assuring you that the night was free if you were not 100% satisfied....

The manager refused a full refund on the grounds that I had declined the offer of another room... the night clerk had left a note explaining this to him. I asked if she had mentioned the dishonesty part....

Upon returning home I complained to the corporate headquarters..... noting that I rarely complain and when I do that it is discretely to the corporate office, not publicly such as at Trip Advisor. Ultimately I received a (form) letter of apology from the manager at the hotel in question offering a 25% discount on my next stay at his property.

I responded to the manager (and cc'd corporate) that the apology was appreciated but that 25% off was not sufficient to get me back into his hotel.

Corporate responded by sending me a voucher for a free night at any of their other hotels.

It was just my turn to be the 1%

In the spirit of fairness, I have never had any significant problem with any other (Insert national chain) property and can point out a couple of examples where (insert same national chain) folks have been more than fair with me when they did not have to be.

One example being a later drive to Florida when my daughter became sick en route. We had a (insert national chain) hotel reserved in South Georgia but our countless stops for vomiting had rendered us three or four hours behind schedule.

When 8:30pm came and we were still a couple of hours (at best) north of our planned stop, I called the hotel were we had reservations and explained our situation. The clerk said "Under the circumstances we will cancel your reservation and even though it's after the deadline, we won't bill you for the room. It's still early enough to fill it."

This, I thought, was awfully nice.

THEN she asks "Where are you right now?" I answered and she says "We have a (insert national chain) just five minutes from where you're at. I'll give them a call and they'll have a room waiting for you at the same rate we would have charged."

THAT was really nice.

THAT was going above and beyond.

I penned a short note off to corporate about that too!

--------------------
David Pressley

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

David, why not tell us what national chain that was?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Well.....

OK....

It was Choice Hotels.... Comfort Inn et al.

I am serious about not trying to savage a place on Trip Advisor and, well..... we're kind of like that here.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, David. At one point in a former life I managed a customer service operation. Nothing would irritate me more than the customer who received poor service and took their business elsewhere without saying a word. Not because 'it wasn't our fault' - the attitude of some customer service people. Rather, I'd much rather get the bad news before it's too late to fix it. Often if you can rectify a bad situation, that customer will become the source of good recommendations for your company.

I think Amtrak's customer service people have the best of intentions, but so much is beyond their control to fix the problem. Best they can do is throw money at you or perform surveys. Both are appreciated, but the goal should be to resolve the issue so it doesn't happen at all, or as often.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
We had another brief stay at LaPosada this week. They continue to work on the grounds there and each time it gets a little better. Also added a small terrace with chairs and benches next to the gate to the tracks. Great place for that morning cup of coffee or evening viewing of the SWC. That event is quite a social gathering for those who have just finished dinner. A couple from Sedona was there for dinner and the night just to check it out. They were contemplating a trip to Chicago.

The few passengers boarding in Winslow now get to the train through the hotel. I saw only two, both staying at the hotel. The adjacent station is being turned into a gallery for the owner's wife's art. She is quite accomplished, but her art doesn't seem to fit with the mellow southwest atmosphere.

Late afternoon appeared to be prime train time - 6 intermodals and one mixed freight in a 20 minute span. One item I hadn't noticed before: the number of refrigerated trailers/containers is growing fast. Over half of one train contained them as well as FedEx and UPS trailers. Obviously the hotest of the hot shots. Dwell time for crew change, about 5 minutes. Reminded me of the solid refer trains of PFE, FGE vintage.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Palmland, how do the locals pronounce "Posada"? With a "d" as in "duck" or a voiced "th"?

My wife claims it's "th" in the actual Spanish but I don't know. Can't lipread the difference.

We spent a couple of days there two years ago and loved it.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things:

1) For the original booking of the room, by chance were you using a debit card? I have never booked a room with a debit card (well, it's a credit card that can be used as a debit card, but I have not used it that way when booking hotels). I'm just sorta wondering if they lose money by people paying with a debit card, and when the guest goes to check out, "Whoopsie!" the checking account has NSF (Non Sufficient Funds).

2) My EspaƱol teacher for all 4 years of high school was a native of Costa Rica. He always taught that words such as "La Posada" were correctly pronounced "La Pothada", but with a small emphasis on the "th" part of it. So I guess it depends on what dialect they use in various parts, but I know if you were in my classroom, he would have slapped the ruler down on his desk if you pronounced it wrong. [Smile]

(PS I don't know why I'm saying this--maybe I'll remove it later. But my Spanish teacher is only one of two teachers that I very mush disliked in high school. You had to be a "popular kid" or else you did not exist in his mind. One day (years later) I responded to a non-injury traffic collision, and there he was. On thank goodness he was at fault, because we clear accident reports by finding fault, and that finding of fault comes in the form of a Notice to Appear. In other words, I gave him a ticket for unsafe speed. That made my day.)

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
For the original booking of the room, by chance were you using a debit card? I have never booked a room with a debit card (well, it's a credit card that can be used as a debit card, but I have not used it that way when booking hotels). I'm just sorta wondering if they lose money by people paying with a debit card, and when the guest goes to check out, "Whoopsie!" the checking account has NSF (Non Sufficient Funds).

The original post is a couple of years old now but it's still relevant. I do see this up-front charging more frequently these days - and most certainly when it's a special rate (advance purchase, non-changeable, bargain basement kind of rates). Also smaller hotels that don't have the backing of a major chain behind them.

I thought the reservation they put on your card (as opposed to actually charging it like above) was called a "hold" though I could be wrong.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Your question, Henry and Smitty rang a very faint bell, as I recall from a trip long ago to Spain that 'th' is the correct pronunciation. But, wonder if the Mexican pronunciation in the southwest is americanzied to pronounce the 's'? That's the way the staff answers the phone.

As for the advance payment, I used a credit card, Smitty. Upon check in I was handed a receipt for the charge, so I guess no surprises on check out. Seems to me I've heard that the use of credit card protects you more than debit for fraudulent charges. The room was charged to our card when we made the reservation in March. Part of the reason may be those who drive into Winslow, take one look at that dusty small town, and keep on driving.

As a side note, the chef prides himself on using local ingredients or ones that he knows their source. So, with that in mind I had to try the 'Wild, wild dinner': "Crispy fried Arizona Quail (Ridge View Farm, Chino) with a chile and cherry dipping sauce and Elk Medallion with Huckleberry sauce. Wild chili tamale made with bison,venison, wild boar and scarlet runner beans". Let's just say I don't have to do that again.

Also, my wife took a photo of this sign in our room: "Many of you are train enthusiasts. For those of you who are not, we are providing complimentary ear plugs". Fortunately the rumble of trains doesn't bother her at all (we were in a track side room).

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Excuse me, is this town pronounced Milwaukee or Milvaukee?"

"Milvaukee"

"Thank you very much"

"You're velcome"!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:

The original post is a couple of years old now [/QUOTE]

Hah hah---whoops! I didn't catch that at all. Sorry 'bout that!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiz": How are these two pronounced in "Illinoisese"?

Des Plaines

Cairo

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone explain why Californians pronounce San Pedro as San PEE-dro and Manteca as Man-TEE-ca?
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Quiz:

1. Render this Chicagoese into American:

Who troo da gratchki onna ruff?

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I don't know, Henry; who did throw the garage key on the roof?
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Gil, Cairo is pronounced like the syrup, Ka-ro.
Des Plaines is pronounced Dess Planes.

Is Cairo still standing as an American city? Thought they would have plowed it under by now.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo is still there but shrinking significantly in population. In fact, shrinking to the point that the City of New Orleans no longer stops there despite having sufficient business during ICRR days that all trains stopped there. I would suspect that the average age of the population is quite high as chances are people that need to continue working have had to leave to do so.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Here's a link to the Cairo story:

http://betweentworivers.net/

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A look at the front of the betweentworives says a lot. You see multiple boarded up buildings that look like they were built in the 1920's or earlier.

Here is some population info on Cairo to give a picture of its decline.

1920: 15,203
1940: 14,407
1950: 12,123
1960: 9,348
1970: 6,277
1980 & 90 did not see and did not have time to do a lot of searching
2000: 3,632
2010: 2,847

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page