RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Kelso Depot Beanery now OPEN!

Author Topic: Kelso Depot Beanery now OPEN!
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The beautifully restored Kelso Depot (located in the Mojave National Preserve in California) is finally open! I found out about it through this month's "VIA" magazine (which is AAA's monthly magazine).

I visited Kelso Depot on a drive to Las Vegas once, and you REALLY have to go out of your way to find it. It is not "along the way" to anything. It is off of Interstate 15 in Baker, California (home of the world's tallest thermometer, as seen in, "National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation").

When I drove there, I thought to myself, "Oh no....I got lost out in the middle of the desert and I'll be stuck out here for weeks!". The road changes from paved, to dirt, to partially paved, and back to newly paved again. It's very easy to think you're lost. But I can assure you that it is worth the trip to take the drive to see Kelso Depot. The mainline for the Union Pacific Railroad is still there, and plenty of trains come roaring through. If you ever get the chance to drive out there, I would suggest leaving a few extra hours so that you can full enjoy the experience. Walk around, take the self-guided tour, have lunch at the counter, and then sit out on the back porch to watch the trains when they go by.

Now that the lunch counter is open, I just may have to take a drive to Vegas instead of flying.

Anyway, I just wanted to let the group know. I think it's a pretty cool place.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know. I have been to Kelso but nothing was open then. But it is a long way off the I-15 - certainly not on the way to Vegas.

By the way Smitty, I am eagerly awaiting Virgin Airline's October schedule. Hope to use it to go to Fort Lauderdale. I'll tell them you referred me.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki---when we get closer to trip time, remind me so that I can give you the name of my flight attendant friend. When she worked for American Airlines, she ended up working a flight that my brother and his wife were on. They were in Coach, but got a nice (free) bottle of champagne. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good National Park Service page on Kelso Depot is here.

Hmmm...Chicago to Barstow on No. 3, then rent a car in Barstow and drive two hours east-by-northeast to the Mojave National Monument and Kelso Depot. Seems doable. Maybe someday . . .

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

Anyway, I just wanted to let the group know. I think it's a pretty cool place.

Thanks for the heads-up, Smitty-- Kelso is
a very cool place w/ atmosphere, desert and RR history in spades... takes some effort to get to, but worth it-- as anyone knows who's been there.

Back in my work days, I used to toss off newspapers and magazines there, on the "fly" (which going west for Amtrak under Clear was about 80 per) for the lonely UP station caretaker who worked there at the "Beanery" in the 1980's. Sometimes a risky situation developed at Kelso; if a freight was "in the hole" on Kelso siding waiting for a fast westbound to blast by on the Main, autos would cross at grade, not realizing there was a fast, hidden movement coming.

I remember the "Centennials" (6900 class diesels) running up Kelso grade to Cima in the early 70s-- giant 8 tractive axle locomotives that were used by the UP in heavy road service, but eventually retired due to poor fuel economy, etc. I think there is a Centennial sitting at LA County Fairgrounds along with a monster UP steam loco as well. One thing about UP- they always thought BIG!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have loved to see a Centennial running through Kelso and Cima! So much history in that location.

And the weird thing is, it truly is in such an isolated location. Even though I've been there once, I don't think I would ever try to drive there at night. It's a daytime-only trek for me. I remember seeing the beautifully restored building, including the Beanery, and the Park Ranger telling me that "someday" it will open again. Well, that "someday" is here! I really need to go and visit (and support) the depot.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 6900 DD-40 Centennials were not quite around when I was stationed at Hill AFB (68-69), but the Gas Turbines were. I have photos of them passing through Peterson UT whoci is some 15 miles to the East of Ogden. One such locomotive is on display at the railroad museum there.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another worthwhile side-trek any Kelso travelers might want to do is a drive (on a good road not requiring 4 whl drive) out to the Mitchell Caverns. They have seasonally varying hours- not recommended in high summer unless you're OK with Death Valley heat levels! Went there with a field Geology class back in my college days/ 1970's. That's when I saw the DD-40s, roaring up the UP main.

Lots of mysterious stuff out in the high deserts of Cali-- who remembers the Tonopah and Tidewater? The old grade can still be seen at Crucero siding along the UP. It also connected with the ATSF down at Ludlow, I believe. They used to take the borates out of the mines on this ancient line, after the legendary "20 Mule teams" were phased out. Remember Ron Reagan introducing that old TV show?

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the guy before Reagan was the host...
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would have been Stanley Andrews as "The Old Ranger" on "Death Valley Days" (1952-1965).

Wikipedia (and spare time) are wonderful things!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page