RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Folkston Funnel webcam

Author Topic: Folkston Funnel webcam
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://virtualrailfan.com/fwc/funnelcam.html

You can now watch amtrak's six daily trains and 54 daily freights on the this webcam. Continuous video too. Really nice.

Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good quality - several frames a second as you can actually see the barrier lights dim and brighten. With ATCS Monitor (CSX JE Desk) you can see the trains approaching and thus know when to start watching the cam. Just watched three freights and the southbound Silver Star pass through in the space of an hour.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder why that train of automobile carriers is just sitting still blocking the crossing right now?

It's been there at least five minutes and I'm enjoying watching motorists pull up, wait for a few seconds, and then take an alternate route.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, amtrak92. Quite interesting. We have stopped there on one of our many Jax-SC trips. It includes a well done raised and covered deck for prime train watching. A good lesson on how a small town can bring in a little income (those stopping for lunch/gas etc.)by showing a little imagination. While it requires a detour off I-95 and even more so from I-75 it is worth it for those fascinated by mainline action.

If memory serves, I met with a customer one time who ran a Union Camp paper company woodyard near Folkston. He was full of train info and I believe was involved in getting this going. Cookie was a real character but sadly I think he has now passed away.

This is such an active spot because two CSX mainline diverge here - one to the huge Waycross yard where trains are switched and then forwarded to either the east coast or midwest routes (as used by the South Wind/Floridian). There is also the cutoff direct route to Savannah that bypasses Waycross. It's used by Amtrak and hotshot Intermodal trains headed north.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Wonder why that train of automobile carriers is just sitting still blocking the crossing right now?

It's been there at least five minutes and I'm enjoying watching motorists pull up, wait for a few seconds, and then take an alternate route.

Was it northbound (going to the right of the screen)? If so it might have been waiting for a path across the junction which is just a few hundred yards away.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh.... that would be my guess.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
bumping just to keep the link handy on the first page of my topics....

--------------------
David Pressley

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your welcome for the link. I love that site. It is a great little town I want to go. As you said, two mainlines
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's kick this back up to the top of the list.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks George- spent part of my Sunday afternoon at that cam; caught a Meteor (98 I think) and a couple of manifest freights. They all make pretty good time there through the "funnel." Not much pedestrian traffic along the sidewalk; where is everybody? [Wink]
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Amtrak92, for posting the link to the Folkston webcam. Very interesting and a really fine looking webcam.

I have a question. I saw, I believe, the Silver Meteor come through about 6:10 PM, local time. What is the consist of the Silver Meteor? I looked like a much abbreviated train. I would think, for a run from Jacksonville to New York, it would have more cars. Is it because the Silver Star gets more passengers?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nine or ten cars is the normal consist; Richard.

Bagg, 2/3 Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, 4 Coaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnD3TuiAaHc

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page