RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Back From Our Latest Amtrip

Author Topic: Back From Our Latest Amtrip
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got home Sunday from an excellent rail trip: New Orleans-LA-Flagstaff-LaPlata-Chicago-Washington-Jacksonville. All trains were reasonably close to schedule and all sleepers were comfortable temperature-wise. One did have a water issue but other than that, no equipment problems. Dining car meals were very good and most crews were solid with the only sub-par service coming aboard the Silver Meteor. We lucked out and got to ride behind engine #145 with its heritage paint job though it wasn't in the lead position. Lots of details will be forthcoming when I complete my TrainWeb articles.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always enjoy your articles, with the detail and pictures. So the sooner the better! [Smile]
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delighted you had a great trip!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the update, Silver Star. Sounds like a good trip. Amtrak does seem to provide more consistent service these days. But, I'll be interested to read your report about the problems on the Meteor.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the nice comments. I'll advise when the stories are posted...it'll take awhile with March Madness and other distractions competing for time.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr. Silver Star, at least your 'Noles have something to look forward to where my Illini do not.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noles and Gators both still in it with a chance to reach the Final Four and get their heads handed to them by the Buckeyes.

Go Gators!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping that the Buckeyes have an off night and that the Kentucky Wildcats can pick them off.

And no, I am not a 'cattail' fan latching on to Kentucky for any current glitziness or NBA-like trappings - I have legitimate family ties to both the state and University of Kentucky. I have been rooting for the Wildcats in good times and in bad since about 1968.

Ocala Mike - last 'live game' actually attended happened to be Florida at UK just three weeks ago. I'm thinking the odds for a final four are better for the Gators and I'd be thrilled (for the SEC) to see them make it..... Ohio State is pretty intimidating right now.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
My Seminoles enjoyed their visit to the Windy City. Seems they are doing our trip in reverse as now they go to San Antonio for the Sweet 16. We passed through there before Chicago.
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news: My town has TWO teams in the Sweet 16-
University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University!
Bad news: If both win their next game Friday, they'll face each other that weekend!

Too bad they weren't in different brackets.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerome, not to turn this into a sports discussion group, but the city of Richmond has as many teams left standing as the entire Big East Conference which started out with 11 representatives.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And lets not forget Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Va. Ranked No. 6 in NCAA Div 3, but sadly lost in second game of regional playoffs in St. Mary's, MD.

Go Noles - my youngest was a graduate there - no love lost with the gators.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Great comments, Palmland. As you may recall, I attended RMC for awhile back when the original AutoTrain rolled by during my PE class. I moved from there to FSU which led to living here now. When did your youngest graduate from here?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great railfanning in Ashland, VA...... I used to go there on weekends while stationed at the Little Creek (VA) Naval Amphib Base in 1989-90.
Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page