RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas advice

Author Topic: Texas advice
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering what would be the best time to see bluebonnets blooming (or is that even possible from the train? I'm thinking Texas Eagle from Chicago to San Antonio, then on to LA via Sunset LImited? I'm thinking early May this year ? - better eastbound or westbound?

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now is the time (or early to mid April). They are blooming between San Antonio and Houston, along I-10. I saw quite a few of them two days ago. Early May is too late. They will probably be gone by then.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's your train, Ms. McFarland:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37354122@N03/3519088243/in/photostream/

If I may say, this collection of photos is superlative and worthy of anyone's time to review.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to see them, sometimes in wild profusion, directly from the windows of the Sunset Limited in certain places between SAS-HOS.
But reading your route plans, it doesn't look like you will be traversing those particular rails?

Maybe you'll get some anyway up there in the Hill Country? (North of SAS) Bluebonnets are just as much "Texas" as yellow roses, doncha think? [Smile]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in frozen Wisconsin the idea of ANYTHING blooming now is so foreign, that (for this year, at least) I've overshot the dates. I'm going to put it on my calendar for next year.
Instead I'm thinking of California Zephyr WB in early May . I tried to do that route in 2009, but on my scheduled date that year, #5 was doing the diversion through Wyoming. Sleepers are filling fast, but as soon as my daughter confirms pre-trip plans, I'll cash in some AGR points & head west, probably ending up in Portland (PDX) & return via Columbia Gorge & #8 Not really thrilled by the long layover in Sacramento, though.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacramento has lots to do if you get in on time--in fact, I've seen lots of Sacramento and never stayed over a single night. But I had decided next time I might try changing in Davis. There seem to be a lot of nice walks there, and I heard the station is nice. Still, once it gets to nighttime, it might be better to be in SAC, where so many other people are. . . I don't know what Davis is like, have to find out.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy, check the history of weather on the CZ route. We were on said train one year the first week in May and it was snowing to beat the band
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
addenda: clicked before I finished. I wanted to say it was snowing in Denver and much of the way in the rockies. Beautiful but nothing blooming. If you want to see flowers come to D C. The cherry blossoms are out and flowers are coming up all over. Of course it is supposed to snow in 2 days but it should melt quickly
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My plan was not necessarily to see flowers, but just to take a reip. I happened to think of the bluebonnets as a ppssibility. I want to take the WB Zephyr sometime this year, as I missed doing it in 2009 due to track work.
Now it's looking like the trip may be in September, as I'm committed to staying with the grandchildren in Rochester NY in mid-July & hosting a visit from daughter Colleen & new son-in-law Bob when they come to Milwaukee's Irish Fest in mid-August. (Unless, of course, someone buys my house. It's been on the market for 8 months, and fortunately it's not a crisis that I sell (I don't have another house bought yet), but I'm really getting tired of keeping the place so neat for potential buyers & thought a train trip would be fun. Those 88,000 AGR points are awfully tempting!

--------------------

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Texas Eagle up to Dallas and back last week. I was looking forward to the wildflower display usual for this time of year. There was virtually nothing - too dry I guess even though the landscape in general was much greener than I have seen it at other times. Friends tell me the TX wildflowers were very depressed over the whole state this year. We have not had significant rainfall since August which was very wet.

Amtrak gave me very good service in both directions even though there were slow orders around Cleburne for track work. There was a very noticeable uptick in freight traffic - and it was always stationary in the siding. [Wink] I guess more money is circulating in the economy these days.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Thanks for the flower update. House is still unsold (but there are lookers), Grandchildren may now be here in late July (assuming I am still here). I really want to be able to plan a trip. Maybe next year? Who said life is less complicated when you retire?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page