RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Station For Atlanta?

Author Topic: New Station For Atlanta?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I would prefer to have confirmation from a recognized newssource, an "alternative source" has posted a report of a new Amtrak station to be located within what appears to be about 1 mi closer to Downtown than is the existing Peachtree Station.

The new station is to be at 17th St and Northside Dr US41 and it appears the proposed location is presently vacant. While, even if only serving "one a day', one could only hope for something more architecturally pleasing than, say, MSP, SLC or OMA.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Interesting news.

The existing Brookwood station is a gem but it was originally a small suburban station..... a New Carrollton to Washington Union if you will .... and never intended to handle Atlanta's full load even for just one a day.

I think I'd prefer to see the existing station renovated (again) and enlarged though.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too; it's a lovely little station, I believe designed by a famous architect. I suppose it could be used for something else, but I do like using the old stations as stations. OTOH, it is definitely too small for the passengers using it, with just the one elevator and stairs. Quite a few get on and off there, and when they do, it's very congested. And the area for cars to pull up outside is miniscule.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget "the real deal"

http://rustwire.com/2009/06/24/11-great-train-stations-that-were/

I departed from Terminal Station August 1962 aboard, again, The "real deal" Crescent, however I never arrived there.

Finally, there is now confirmation from a recognized newssource:

http://www.gpb.org/news/2011/04/07/funds-could-boost-freight-network

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that they are getting a new station. A little saddened as the current station will be left without service. But is there the possibility of commuter rail. But it could be like Charlotte's new station. "We will do it," ten years later, "we will do it"
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the state would be a lot better expanding the current station - perhaps a concourse over the tracks - than spending the $29 million for a new one. Especially if they could also sell the land they currently own.

As one of my sons will be moving to the Roswell, Ga area, I can see this as becoming my station of choice (especially with the AGR zone benefit).

But perhaps the biggest issue is the land near the tracks. The move to the new location apparently provides room to add tracks and I'm not sure if this could be done at the current location. That would then provide the opportunity to extend a Piedmont to Atlanta.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Obviously, if this proposal moves forth, any plans for an "Intermodal Center" with Amtrak as a participant are off the table. There is considerable question whether they will participate at the one in Miami (the only real plus would be access to rental autos, but how many Amtrak passengers rent them?), and I guess they will at Denver.

Of interest, Amtrak is not included in this Power Point presentation (9.5MB).

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mixed feelings. Peachtree Station is in a good area and is a neat little facility. But it is too small as noted by others and has terrible passenger curbside drop-off/pick-up space. Actually, it's amazing how much capacity Amtrak has squeezed out of the tiny facility. The new facility would be helpful for commuter train service and would be directly on the routes from the midwest to Florida should Amtrak ever start up such service. However, the Crescent would have to make a significant reverse move and be subject to an infamously busy junction to rejoin its route to Birmingham if the new station is ever built. The only way around this would be to use the old West Point Route to Montgomery then the old L&N to Mobile and NOL. Btween CSX resistence and the need to serve Birmingham, Hattiesburg, Meridian, etc., that won't happen so a backup move will be needed.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention back ups take up way too much time. So they would loose time. Personally, it would be better to keep the current station and just add on to it. I think
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
However, the Crescent would have to make a significant reverse move and be subject to an infamously busy junction to rejoin its route to Birmingham if the new station is ever built. .

Mr. Silver Star, after reviewing the Google map I linked within the opening posting, I am at a loss to understand why a backup move would be needed if the station were to be relocated to the proposed location. The new location, namely 17th St and Northside Dr, is on the SRY but about one mile to the South, i.e. closer to Downtown, and "not exactly' in the "tony' Buckhead community. It appears to be on the same side of any any major junction as is Peachtree.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
However, the Crescent would have to make a significant reverse move and be subject to an infamously busy junction to rejoin its route to Birmingham if the new station is ever built. .

Mr. Silver Star, after reviewing the Google map I linked within the opening posting, I am at a loss to understand why a backup move would be needed if the station were to be relocated to the proposed location. The new location, namely 17th St and Northside Dr, is on the SRY but about one mile to the South, i.e. closer to Downtown, and "not exactly' in the "tony' Buckhead community. It appears to be on the same side of any any major junction as is Peachtree.
Perhaps any confusion relates to the reference of Terminal Station which would require a back-up move. The station itself has gone but the tracks nearby exist.

As I understand from the maps, the proposed new station is simply sited a mile further (or thereabouts) along the same tracks.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page