RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Silver Meteor Report

Author Topic: Silver Meteor Report
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On to the Silver Meteor

We did go back to Union Station during our stay in DC. Quite a place. Had a snack, much to choose from. Chatted with the redcap to prepare for our later departure.  Certainly the busiest station I have ever been in.

After sun, then rain, our final day in DC was sunny. That brought out the homeless who took up all the benches in the nearby park. And someone tried a money exchange scam on us but Art was not tricked so no harm befell us. 

Cleverly Amtrak did their system upgrade today. Luckily I had printed our tickets long ago. Taxi to the station, no redcaps in sight. Sat Art down and went to get one. He helped us check one bag and arranged for another redcap to pick us up later. 

The lounge is beautiful. Not so large as Chicago but nicer. Quite empty today. Our promised redcap arrived and we rode to the train via a long route and across many tracks. Car 9710 Room 4. Our caretaker is a bubbly fellow who  says he is Big Reggie. 

The car is full of teenage girls. We ate with two of them. They are on a math trip and are from South Africa and Zimbabwe. So far their biggest thrill was seeing MIT. But they are heading to the Mecca, Disney World. 

The roomette has narrower seats than the superliner because of the toilet. I began to regret trying to save AGR points by not getting a bedroom.

We have five coaches all seats filled. I know the train is sold out. There are three sleepers. Had ravioli for me and child pizza for guess who. Guess what, they have the same food here as on all the other trains. 

After the usual fitful sleep the sun rose over Savannah. I begin to see the pine trees Gil. Lunch reservation given when we went to breakfast, not sure how you get one if you skip breakfast. No announcing either, you just show up. 

250 folks and a ton of baggage departed at Orlando. Running about 30 minutes late. But we caught up some and arrived nearly on time. Big Reggie helped with the bags and the checked bag promptly arrived. 

Impressions of the Meteor - I do prefer Superliner spaces, from bedrooms to roomettes to diner. Big Reggie, with his 38 years experience, was fantastic. The food is the same all over, adequate but not great. Certainly a worthwhile adventure. 

A few days in FTL then on to the Zuiderdam for the leisurely way home. See you all after May 11th.           Â

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason that Union station is so busy is that it is a multi task place. People go there for lunch,dinner,to shopor meet friends. There is a metro stop and sightseeing help too.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it appears that Union Station in LA is becoming like that. See my report of my Surfliner trip. Every table at Traxx appeared to be taken and the bar was very lively, too.

Frank in cool and overcast SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Meteor is a good train. Sounds like my type of field trip. Did you have Conductor Yvone Reed? She is very nice. I have never used a red cap in DC ,but for that reason, maybe I will one day
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard the conductor's names. Didn't get the dining crew names either since the LSA doesn't get on the PA. They all have new name tags with first initial, last name. The diner group was fine but not so friendly and fun as on the Chief and the LSL.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your cruise! And thanks for the Silver Meteor report.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting report, Vicki. Thanks. I am surprised to hear you like Superliner roomettes better than Viewliner. But I guess I'm speaking as one who is usually relegated to the upper berth. Much more head room in a Viewliner upper and those high windows are great. It'll be interesting to see what the new Viewliner cars look like, assuming the order doesn't get canceled.

Have fun on your cruise.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Indeed the upper bunk has windows and more headroom. But the daytime seats, especially the one side, are narrower. So there is good and bad.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad you enjoyed your trip. Look forward to hearing about the cruise too!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page