TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ONN report on man-train collision

Author Topic: ONN report on man-train collision
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would someone please tell me if this ONN "report" is indeed funny? I can't lipread the principals. The very idea of finding humor in autism seems to me questionable, but . . .
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing whatever "funny" about that tripe.

We forget that 1 in 150 births have some measurement on the Aspberger scale of autism; and I think that the minutiae of the railfan hobby is one that people afflicted with autism feel comfortable pursuing.

Somehow I think that considerably more than 1 in 150 railfans are autistic.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what is passing for American humour these days? Give me Benny, Bilko and Burns any day.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you've got something there, GBN, with your observation that more than 1 in 150 foamers may be autistic. I began recalling rivet-counters met on the train and at railfan events, and autism seems to fit the somewhat rigid and socially remote demeanor of many of them.

Can't say, however, that their *behavior* was objectionable. These didn't seem to be the kind of people who trespass on forbidden property and steal builder's plates.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that Trainorders has had a topic relating to railfans and autism/Aspbergers Syndrome:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1614991

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Thanks, GBN. That's a fascinating thread.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

It seems that the connection between autism/Asperger's and railfanning is somewhat controversial, at least in Wiki World. (The discussion is quite a way down.)

I think, however, that most of us would perceive symptoms of the conditions in some (but certainly not all) railfans.

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't think it's that funny to make light of a serious mental disorder like autism.

But trains and autism seem to be a real connection.

Anyone watch Big Bang Theory? I have always thought that the character Sheldon has a form of Asbergers...and get this he likes trains. Clever writing there [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall reading in high school (on my own, not an assignment) a book titled Horse and Buggy Doctor. The book was written in the 1930's at which point the author was in his 80's, to give a time frame for it. He made a statement that he found early in his practice that many doctors covered their ignorance by using big words. I feel much the same about the many this and that syndromes used to define or excuse any and all forms of behavior that do not fit in someone's definition of "normal."

The first problem is trying to define a "normal." If you want to be good in almost any technical field, a normal that includes a lack of obsessiveness on the details cannot be part of your make up. You must obsess on details. At some point you have got to ignore those that would make you to strive to be something that you are not and strive to be good at what you are.

Yes, I learned to color between the lines very early. I learned to read house blueprints when my parents had a house built when I was 7. With a cabinetmaker grandfather and a carpenter uncle who could cut a 45 degree miter by eye, I always knew that joints were supposed to be smooth, and proper corner meant 90 degrees, not 89 or 91. I do not remember when I became facinated with railroads. I have a couple of boxes of materials on rail alone. This may bug some people, but they can get over it. I do not intend to. As one of my nieces says, Normal? Who wants to be normal?

Do not tolerate your abnormalities, revel in them.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page