RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » For HopefulRailUser

Author Topic: For HopefulRailUser
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure were to post this but here is a link to the thread with webcam grabs I got of your trip through the Panama Canal on Zuiderdam: [Smile]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407034

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link. I was just checking Art and Vicki's itinerary and wondered if they were through the canal yet.

We are doing a combined rail/cruise trip mid-May. We'll do the Surfliner to SAN on the 14th, board Radiance of the Seas on the 15th and arrive in Vancouver on the 20th. There are two ports -- San Francisco and Victoria. We'll spend the day in Vancouver and then take the Cascades to Seattle, overnight at the Red Lion on Fifth and take the Coast Starlight back to Santa Barbara on the 21st.

All of the rail travel was done with Guest Rewards points. 1500 points each for BC to SAN and 20000 for VCN/SEA/SBA in BC and a Deluxe Bedroom. That is, to me, a great deal!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank! Your cruise/rail trip sounds amazing! Love that itinerary and the Radiance-class are beautiful ships.

I am planning my own cruise/rail trip for December for my first Amtrak trip in over five years. Going on the Celebrity Millennium and Carnival Destiny on a back-to-back out of Miami then Amtrak back to Pittsburgh via Salisbury, NC. It'll be Coach Class all the way for this traveller on the rail journey. Should be a great 2-3 weeks! 

My itinerary includes a port of call stop at the new Royal Caribbean venture at Falmouth (Jamaica), then Grand Cayman, Key West, Cozumel, and three days at sea with a turn around day in Miami. I had originally been booked on a B2B on the Millennium but they chartered the second half of my cruise and forced me to alter my plans. I already had the airfare booked and the change fees plus charges for ticket differentials were more than an Amtrak trip, so I extended my vacation to now get a rail trip in!

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Well, it's just after 4am EST and this AIS grab shows Zuiderdam wisking along at 21+ knots! She should be crossing the breakwaters at LA around 6:30am or so.

-

--------------------

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Zuiderdam pulling in behind Queen Mary at Long Beach just before 8am PST:

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Griefus; these modern-day Love Tubs appear to have more tonnage (GRT) than the Queen.

But somehow I'd sooner be aboard Mary for a WNA - Winter; North Atlantic - X-ing or during any "blow" for that matter.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrived on time but disembarkation is delayed for unknown reasons. 8:42 am and no word yet.

Great trip but glad to be home. Will try to do an album of rail related photos for you all here as well as the usual scenic stuff.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome home, Vicki and Art! We'll be looking forward to hearing all about this latest adventure.

The pics of Zuiderdam docking are wonderful. It's amazing how skillful use of the thrusters can make something that large spin on a dime!

Frank in sunny and calm SBA who is starting to organize for packing for our 5 night coastal/Amtrak adventure.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Griefus; these modern-day Love Tubs appear to have more tonnage (GRT) than the Queen.

Mr. Norman,

According to Wikipedia:

ms Zuiderdam
81,769 grt
954.7 feet long

RMS Queen Mary
81,237 grt
1,019 feet long

Frank; I see that Radiance of the Seas is going into drydock right after your cruise for almost 3 weeks.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary was not too concerned about exceeding PANAMAX, although the Royal Navy may have wished otherwise. But evidently Carnival Cruises was; at least with their vessels sailing under the Holland America brand.

FYI: I've been on six cruises and two Trans-At sailings in this life.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
...I've been on six cruises and two Trans-At sailings in this life.

Time to get back out there? [Wink]

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Yep, Radiance will go to Victoria, BC for a refit. They are adding/changing several alternative dining venues and adding flat screen TV's and internet access in all of the cabins.

One of the reasons we decided to do this cruise is to have one last cruise on the "old" Radiance. We'll be on the "new" in September HNL-SYD.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, maybe we should change the name of this forum to "Pasenger rail and cruise ships" --

(just kidding -- I too enjoy these periodic divergences from train discussions)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of cruise ships, despite having done Alaska by way of Holland-America's Statendam last year. Never mind why -- I don't want to insult anyone. (But GBN would understand.)

All the same, it's fine by me if we occasionally digress from rail into other modes of transportation. As Mr. Berra was reputed to have said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cruise ships don't interest me at all. I can get sea sick in the bath tub. However I do enjoy reading the posts here. We are friends and as such can keep up with all the travels. It occured to me we have our own 'social network". We don't need twiddle or twddle or whatever. I am happy with a great group who feel they can share all travel. Rail,of course being the most important
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic talk of cruises has caught my attention. About the longest "cruise" I ever had was Harwich (UK) to Hamburg (Germany) overnight. Now I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on something good!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well Mr. Mayo, I have sailed during 1971 Hook to Harwich on the Dutch vessel Queen Wilhelmina; all I can say is the North Sea can get even rougher than the Atlantic Ocean. Likely this a result of the "chop" that results when water flowing from a deeper body enters one more shallow, Same is the case with Long Island Sound in which I have had much experience sailing as a Fairfield Navy Cadet.

Oh; and my last ocean going voyage was during May 1988 San Fran to Vancouver aboard the s/s Rotterdam. My Stateroom was on the Sun Deck and this was one of the few times in this life I was on the wrong end of "mal de mer".

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
I'm pleased that the off-topic discussion of cruising was allowed here. Not too long ago the cruise lines even advertised Amtrak as a Rail & Sail Combo Package as an alternate to flying. With the hassles of todays air travel a pre- or post-cruise rail journey is the perfect way to relax and extend your cruise vacation.

Mr. Kisor and Train Lady: cruise ships aren't everyone's cup of tea just like passenger trains aren't for everyone. I mentioned years ago that I took my friend on the Carolinian from Salisbury to New York and he hated it. We had Business Class and brought a portable DVD player with movies, mp3 players, and a deck of cards. We even ran inside to see the main hall of Washington's Union Station and grab some McDonalds before the train left for NY. He swore he would never set foot on a train again. But that's him.

Mr. Mayo: several times a year the larger US based cruise lines, P&O cruises, and even the smaller cruise lines have short 4-night cruises out of the UK. It may be worth a look-see. Celebrity Cruises just had a short cruise on the new Eclipse. I think next summer every ship in the P&O fleet will gather on one day in Southampton for a very rare gathering and a few short cruises are offered.

Anyhoo, I finally got my cruise and rail vacation all booked. I look forward to the experience of trying to get a full nights sleep in a Viewliner bed after coming off a 90,000 ton, 13 story, 965' long, 105' wide cruise ship. The differences will be like Night and Day, but hey, that's the beauty of travel. One size doesn't fit all.

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cruise travel is great in our opinion. It's usually a far better than bargain than Amtraking except when using Guest Rewards points.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I am really glad to see that we have not offended anyone with our discussion of cruise travel. This time around we are, of course, combining a cruise with Amtrak.

Just as a point of comparison the Amtrak portion would have been over $1200.00 for two people (SBA-SAN-VAC-SEA-SBA in Business Class and a Deluxe Bedroom). I used Guest Rewards Points -- which were actually Continental miles transferred over -- so the cost was $0.00. Five nights on Radiance of the Seas (Including transportation, all meals, entertainment, taxes and gratuities in a D1 Balcony cabin -- the highest category) came in at just about $50.00 less than that for two.

They will both be fun but the cruise ship -- were we paying in real dollars -- is clearly the most bang for the buck.

I'll try to have a report on the rail portion quickly after we return.

Frank in clear and cool SBA

P.S. Dmwnc -- see if you can do some screen captures of us going under the Golden Gate on Tuesday or anything else cool. You can send them to my screen name @ cox.net.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't a reason cruise ships are the most bang for the buck is that they pay lower-level non-American crew what would be slave wages here, payments that (along with room and board) are considered excellent in crew members' Third World countries but on which no one here could live?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Isn't a reason cruise ships are the most bang for the buck is that they pay lower-level non-American crew what would be slave wages here, payments that (along with room and board) are considered excellent in crew members' Third World countries but on which no one here could live?

From what I understand cruise ships service personnel are paid in a similar manner as some American waiters and waitresses; a low base salary plus whatever tips they make, which can be a handsome amount. 

With automatic gratuities and service charges now added to most cruise passengers daily shipboard accounts they probably make a lot more than I do (I make less than $9 an hour). 

The 'pooled tips' on board ship are split between those who work in front of and behind the scenes, and even some room stewards, bar staff, and dining room staff are tipped above and beyond the standard automatic amounts at the end of the cruise in cash when they provide exceptional service to their passengers.

This can all add up quickly and can outpace most average American salaries, but those working on the ships do work long hard days and get few breaks during a 6-month contract.

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Dmwnc -- see if you can do some screen captures of us going under the Golden Gate on Tuesday or anything else cool. You can send them to my screen name @ cox.net.

Already had my reminder set on my iPhone. There are a couple of webcams I will watch and try to get some grabs. Hopefully 'fog' won't be an issue! [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Trainweb should consider a Cruise forum as well. No, its not rail, but clearly there is interest, at least by many of us. I'd certainly like to see it. But, in the meantime, I think it's great that our usual topic wanderings and no obsessive moderator allow this kind of discussion.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Perhaps Trainweb should consider a Cruise forum as well. No, its not rail, but clearly there is interest, at least by many of us. I'd certainly like to see it. But, in the meantime, I think it's great that our usual topic wanderings and no obsessive moderator allow this kind of discussion.

Many years ago I had brought up a suggestion that maybe an Idle Chatter sub-forum could be added to allow the discussion of those topics not specifically related to Amtrak and rail travel. So many of the sub-forums on here haven't been touched in several years and its apparent a revision needs to be made in how things are organized.

I am sure it would be a welcome addition to those who may want to discuss other modes of transportation, vacation options, new grand-children, how much snow they got, favorite TV shows, world events, and other fields of interest. On another forum I found commonality with several folks from Miami, Canada, and the UK on one of our favorite TV shows, Doctor Who.

It's a big world out there and I would love to share it with all of you.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. DMW, that sounds like something called Facebook - something that I signed up for during March; and three weeks later had the account unsubscribed!

I am on Linkedin, however.

dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Mr. DMW, that sounds like something called Facebook - something that I signed up for during March; and three weeks later had the account unsubscribed!

I am on Linkedin, however.

Facebook.... :-p 

I too signed up two years ago and all my ex-coworkers, who I really hard a hard time digesting back then, 'found' me within days of my initial log-on wanting to be 'Friends'. I could barely stomach their gossip, bigotry, bad attitudes, and foul mouths when I knew them face-to-face, I wonder what made them think I would want to be 'Friends' again. I lasted for less than 4 months on Facebook and bailed. Never again. 

I would rather discuss topics with those that share the same interest, and not have to read day after day about someone's Zumba class.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a problem with an occasional drift into other subjects in "Amtrak", especially cruises. This is not a problem, nor do I think it would require another forum. How many of the current forums are ever read, besides this one?
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Mike's post I began to think he has "hit the nail on the head". The number of steady members is fairly small and we all seem to be friends. When talking with friends people seldom stay on the same subject all the time. They drift back and forth. As long as everyone remains civil (what us not civil) and remembers to come back to the main topic..Amtrak. I can see no problem.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with this, though of course it's up to moderator. I esp enjoyed hearing about cruises (and seeing the pictures)--thank you all!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with this, but I agree with Mr. DMD that it should be a sub Forum of sorts, and not the regular Amtrak topic.
I know we have often gone off topic and somehow always seemed to come back on track, but visitors expect to see Amtrak related postings at the Amtrak site and I somehow think the "cruise" postings will take on a life of its own.
I have asked, over the years, to have a separate topic added to the forum for off topic issues.
Not an option!
So, I'm suggesting we hijack another topic or two, which are not current, and make use of them instead of using the Amtrak topic for everything.
I'm thinking you can use the "welcome to the forum" topic as a general forum for anything else of interest except politics.
Maybe we could use the "Advocacy" topic for anything political.
Or, just use the one hijacked topic for everything.
I'm open to suggestions or comments.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion... Do nothing.

I found it very interesting how they "Y" a cruise ship as they approach the station.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
As you can see by my post count my contributions are far and few between in my eight years of visits here at Railforum. My knowledge of passenger trains is about equal to that of an eight year-olds knowledge of calculus. I do however stop by for advice once a year or hijack a thread with a healthy dose of 'cruise talk' when I see someone is headed for the high seas.

With that said maybe Mike Smith is right. Just leave things the way they have successfully run for years, with the intermittent drift off topic. I am glad everyone is more or less accepting of my interruptions and I promise to keep them down to a bare minimum.

Hopefully I'll be able to revisit again soon, and later this year with a Trip Report of my own in December.

--------------------

Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess we'll leave things as they are!
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I agree. It doesn't seem to really bother anyone and most of the cruise discussions on here have been connected to Amtrak travel.
On our just completed cruise we began and ended the adventure on Amtrak.

We found a number of people on our Surfliner to San Diego who were headed for the ship and know that others were arriving on later trains that day and the next.

More than half of the Business Class passengers on the Cascades train we rode from Vancouver to Seattle had been on a cruise. I believe there were three ships in port that weekend.

BTW, the wi-fi on the Cascades was great! There was a good, strong signal all of the way and no problems logging on or staying connected. Sadly, that wasn't always the case on the Starlight in the Parlour Car.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page