RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Travel with Kids

Author Topic: Travel with Kids
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Letitia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next month, my 2 boys (4 and 6) and I will be headed to San Antonio via Lake Shore/Capital Limited and Texas Eagle. I have booked a family bedroom. Any tips? I have never traveled Amtrak, or an overnight train before, but I have traveled by rail extensively in Germany. Also, we are booked under the 421/422 route numbers - will we be at the rear of the train?

Thanks, Letitia

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a video player and movies, coloring books, everything you would take on a long auto trip to keep the boys occupied. Tell them not to run down the corridors. And have a great time!
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused. The Lake Shore and the Capital both go to Chicago where you need to pick up the Eagle. Where are you starting? I always tucked a few new toys in my carry on for the times that the old ones lost their qppeal. Also we practiced in the living room by setting up chairs how to "act" on the train. Your 6 year old should be able to understand simple maps. Get one of the eastern U S and go over it with him we live here, This is where we are going, this state is----. .He can follow it as you go along.Most important be sure to bring a favorite stuffed animal, blanket or what ever they sleep with, Enjoy and when you get home talk about all the wonderful things on the train
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its not too much excess luggage take along a few of their own bed pillows and maybe even a lightweight blanket. I did this once on an overnight ride and it made a huge difference having my own regular pillow. Take some snack crackers, chips, Lunchables (pepperoni pizza), bottled water, soda, ipods, and a portable DVD player if you can get your hands on one. Don't forget the adapter/chargers and earplugs for your electronics. Netflix and Redbox are two great sources of movies that you can rent and return from just about anywhere. Go to www.redbox.com to find locations near you, and in San Antonio. Some of the snack goodies you might could pack in a small, lightweight, collapsible nylon cooler. Maybe buy them a disposable camera from the local giant box-retail store and let them take pictures along the trip. Take some bulldog clips and duct tape in case the window curtains in your bedroom don't close all the way. At night this will keep light from the main outside window from coming in as well as ensure privacy from the window that looks out to the corridor. Maybe also get some fresh wipes for your hands and face when you need to clean up. Small bottles of hand sanitizer or Wet Ones are easy to pack. If the kids are prone to car sickness inquire with your doctor or local pharmacy as to what the kids can take for motion sickness. Ear plugs, an alarm clock, and one of those small Renuzit cone-type room fresheners might be on my list as well.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/bring-train-trip-kids-1636.html

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, until Ms. Letitia chooses to step forth and clarify, I can only surmise that her trip will originate Cleveland or West and that she is traveling Coach on the Lake Shore in one direction (likely WW), Capitol the other (likely EW).

Until the peak travel season begins, the Chicago-San Antonio Sleeper line on 21/22, Eagle, only operates on days that 421-422 Eagle/Sunset does not. Since likely she will be traveling on days 421 and 422 operate, the CHI-LAX line is the only one available,which would account for why her party was assigned space in that car.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Letitia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady and Gilbert, yes, I am starting in Toledo, and have coach on the Lakeshore Limited to Chicago and Capitol Limited home. And Gilbert, I was under the impression when I bought the tickets that there were 2 sleeper cars on the train 3 days a week, because (if I remember) both route numbers (21, 421) were offered, but the family sleeper said sold out on the 21. That is why I asked if our car would be at the rear, I was thinking it did not make the return trip the next day or was coupled to the train towards LA. And peak season??????? I had to buy these tickets at the beginning of January for a trip in June, and found few dates a family sleeper was even open through the end of August! That dictated the days and length of our trip.

Thanks everyone for the tips, especially the clips/duct tape. I would have never considered that. My kids are used to all day car trips, so the portable DVDs are standard.

Letitia

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
I have one more question - Are small knives OK? Like a leatherman/pocket knife to slice an apple? I only saw "large sharp object like an axe" mentioned on Amtrak's page.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem taking the small knife. Another item to pack if you have room is a small fan as it helps in case the sleeper room gets stuffy. When our child was little (several years ago) we packed a couple small toys like Thomas the Tank engine or toy race cers, etc. He loved to play in the upper berth. There are lots of places in the family bedroom that a child can play with small toys but the favorite was always the upper berth as it seemed like his own personal fort.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A GPS wouldn't be that bad, as then you can see how fast you can go(and kids are impressed by that). 421, and 422 I would think would be on the rear, for the reason of when they take the car off train 2, and put it on 1, it has to be somewhere where the switch engine can put it on or off the train. But I haven't had the chance to ride this train before. But knowing how we do things at my Rockton Rion&Western(Reporting Marks RRW) that we would put the car on the rear.

Now for the kids, small toys would be good, a GPS, some movies. Some entertainment, if they aren't like us on here who watch the scenery. As I said GPS, it is so nice to know where you are. May I recommend in the dinning car that you try the Steak. It is excellent, (at least when Marry of the Silver Star cooks it). I hope you have a great trip

Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past the sleeper for 421/422 has been on the rear but a friend says he hears it's now up front behind the transition dorm-sleeper on the Eagle but presumably on the rear of the Sunset. He will ride next week and we can report it then.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
Thank you for all of the great advice. I will post later on how it went and any tips I come up with for others!
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always bring music with earphones; that way I can look out the window and listen. I do not take trains to watch movies. But of course, kids might!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letitia: Normally luggage on Amtrak is not inspected at all, particularly if it is your carryon. Kind of hard to hijack a train, read near impossible, so a kinfe of just about any size short of machete is a non-issue.

If you are the back car, that should help entertain the boys. Just stand and look out as the track rolls out from under the train. The 4 year old might be a little short for it but the 6 year old should be tall enough to look out without standing on anything. No, the door won't open and let them fall out.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letitia, I would expect 15-20% of the passengers are carrying weapons (guns, knifes, nun-chucks, wooden stakes, etc.} so bring whichever knife makes you happy/comfortable or does the job for ya.

Also, when you leave Dallas, if you look to the right at the first curve, you will see the "grassy knoll" and the building President Kennedy was shot from.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just carry your tommy gun aboard in a violin case and nobody will bother you.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, you are a "spray and pray" person???

I prefer a 40cal semi-auto pistol with Hornady Critical Defense 165gr FTX cartridges and a Crimson Trace laser. There would be less collateral damage with my preference... [Smile] [Razz]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

Also, when you leave Dallas, if you look to the right at the first curve, you will see the "grassy knoll" and the building President Kennedy was shot from.

Hope this isn't the lead-in for "thread creep." Conspiracy theorists contend that she will see the "grassy knoll" FROM BEHIND WHICH THE FATAL SHOT WAS FIRED. Anyway, if she's carrying a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle, she will have to check it as baggage.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
You know, I really was talking about the three inch blade on my leatherman....but maybe I should pack that wooden stake in case of vampires on the train.
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
And, interestingly enough, even with the Kennedy history, and the famous St. Louis arch that I haven't seen, I am most looking forward to seeing the Eads Bridge.
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
The Eads Bridge is stunning. Here are a few of my pictures while approaching and on the bridge. (Yes, I have a bunch of pictures of the steel girders...)

-

-

And there will probably be one or two people on the train that you would think had a wood stake, "just in case"... [Wink]

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I've decided to trade in my Thompson M1928A1, .45 ACP (those 30-round magazines are hard to find these days) for a RPG-7V2 with OG-7V fragmentation rockets, especially when traveling through Texas.
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Henry, I understand. We use those a lot down by the Rio Grande. Just remember the 3S rule.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I have not yet tried the Texas Eagle, this thread is making me feel more confident I would have little to fear in the event of a Comanche attack. But how about a showdown at high noon in the Sightseer Lounge? Is the track smooth enough not to spoil your aim?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Texans are polite and friendly, until you try to do something criminal... then you find out who's packing!
Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
Sorry it's taken so long, but here's a report on our trip...

It was WONDERFUL!!! The Amtrak staff checking in my luggage were very helpful. The coach seats were very spacious and comfortable, and had outlets at every seat (Lakeshore and Capitol Limited). The family sleeper was spacious enough that my kids could stand up and move around whenever they wanted.

A DVD player (with headphones) was great for the coach portions of the trip, especially since many passengers were sleeping, and it helps keep my kids quiet. The best item we took was a GPS. My younger son used it to find "ding-dings" (crossing gates), and the older one monitored our speed - we got up to 97 on one portion of the Texas Eagle! I also liked being able to see where we were along the route. Binder clips were great advice, and everyone should always travel with duct tape.

My boys loved going to the dining car, but weren't very interested in the lounge car, they preferred to spend time in the room, where they wanted to keep their beds down almost all of the time. I had the attendant show me how to convert the beds right off, so we didn't bother him constantly. The "sofa" was more than big enough for the three of us anyway.

I also felt very safe and comfortable with the door open and allowing the kids going to the bathroom alone. The various conductors we met went out of their way to help make the trip even more special for the kids. Overall, I found it to be excellent for family travel.

Before I left, most people told me I was crazy for planning this trip with my boys, that they would get bored and go crazy after the first few hours, but they were well-behaved and were sorry to get off of the train after two full days - that was the hardest part of the trip! I may never get on a plane again. Amtrak needs to add more sleepers to help me achieve this goal.

Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
By the way - here's how the Texas Eagle was set up:

Engine
Staff sleeper with some sold rooms
Diner
Lounge
Coach (3)
Sleeper

I did like having our sleeper in the rear because we could go upstairs and look out the rear door window, and it was quieter - you could barely hear the horn at crossings. However, I am sure the room attendant hated it. He had to tend to people at both ends of the train, and go back and forth to the diner through three coach cars. I am sure some passengers in the sleeper did not appreciate this either, but it helped keep my kids occupied. They loved taking turns opening the doors between cars.

Letitia
Member # 20152

Rate Member
One more note: I truly appreciated how our luggage was handled. I checked in two car seats and an OLD large suitcase with a questionalbe zipper. Everything was handled respectfully by hand, nothing was dirty, damaged, or tossed anywhere. And staff checked to make sure it was your bag before you could claim it, making me even more confident in traveling by train with only a 4- and 6-year old as companions.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad that the trip was such a success for you.

My 5-year old daughter has made a few short daytrips with me here in North Carolina plus visited a couple of tourist railroads BUT now she is starting to ask questions about going on a train with a 'sleep car' as well.

I think she's almost ready!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report and glad to hear you had a great trip.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Letitia:
we got up to 97 on one portion of the Texas Eagle! I also liked being able to see where we were along the route. Binder clips were great advice, and everyone should always travel with duct tape.

Now that one is interesting, given that the maximum speed limit anywhere on the Texas Eagle route is 79 mph, and tends to be rigidly enforced. Probably some sort of reset glitch.

By the way: Mike Smith's pictures are not OF the Eads bridge, but taken FROM the Eads bridge, which he says, but the picture may mislead some.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page