RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First Amtrak trip questions

Author Topic: First Amtrak trip questions
rach2674
Member # 20926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rach2674     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents, daughter and I are looking to take a trip this summer. All 4 of us are going from FL to VA, but then my daughter and I will be going from there farther north. The two of us are probably going to get the 15 day rail pass. My parents will be flying back home.

Questions: Would it be worth getting a bedroom? How much is parking in Orlando at the station and is there a way to get from the airport back there or park offsite at the airport and get a ride to the station. Do the trains have WiFi?

Since we're new to this are there things we should be thinking about or asking?

Thanks!

Rachel

Posts: 1 | From: FL | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachel, Wi-Fi is a "work in progress" with Amtrak. Assume NO, and be very surprised if it is available. Even if it is a "darned if I know why" with me, Amtrak is finally realizing that wi-fi access is a "deal breaker' with all too many prospective passengers.

Others will disagree, but not less than two Roomettes (ideally a Bedroom and a Roomette) should even be considered. Overnight Coach is quite simply, for masochists.

The only parking available around the Orlando station is short term on-street. I should defer to others on that point, even though I have taken trains to and from Orlando (rented from the Hertz outlet there).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rachel,

I can not answer any specific questions about Orlando as I have never taken any Amtrak trips there. However, I have traveled extensively on Amtrak trains over the last 32 years and would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. There are several experienced "AmTravelers" on here who can help out as well.

As already noted, WiFi does not exist on your trains. If you have a smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc) you can pay your cell phone company to "tether" your phone (via Bluetooth) to your laptop and get online that way. Or, you can purchase a portable "WiFi hotspot" device and connect to it as you would any wireless device. However, those plans are expensive (monthly fee of about $30) and require a two year commitment in most cases.

As far as traveling long-distance on Amtrak, the opinions will vary but I will give you mine. Coach: NO WAY! Sleeper: Yes. In my own personal opinion, coach travel is for kids. For adults, you'll want to lay down on a bed, close the door, have privacy, and go to sleep. Sitting up in a chair while you listen to someone talking on their cell phone non-stop is not fun. Listening to other people snore is also not fun. Or, if you have chatty passengers sitting close to you, you will never get to sleep. Think "Greyhound on rails" and that's pretty much it except the seats are larger and more comfortable. Other than that, it's the same thing.

Bring the types of snacks that you like because the snack car will often sell out of the good stuff WAY before it gets re-stocked. If you travel in sleeper class, keep in mind that all of your meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are included in the cost of your ticket---you do not pay to eat your meals, as coach passengers do. The dining car menu is expensive, so for a family of four it is worthwhile. A dinner for 4 on Amtrak could easily cost you close to $100. Go to Amtrak's website and put "dining car menu" in the search box so that you can see some sample menus and pricing. The food on Amtrak is NOT fine cuisine, contrary to what some opinions might be. I find it to be above an airline meal, and below Denny's. The food is catered to the train by a company that also caters to the airlines. The food is pre-cooked, and it is heated up in a convection oven. There are a few items that are cooked on a grill, and some examples would be steak at dinner or eggs at breakfast.

Any questions you have, just ask...people here will answer.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely agree with Smitty. Coach is no way to go unless it is just a few hours or a day trip. You don't tell us where in Va. or up north you are going so it is hard to be specific. How old is your daughter..a child, teen or adult.What suggetions we could give you depend on that info. Are your parents in physically good shape or do they have special needs? Let us know and I am sure you will get plenty of suggetions from this forum. No one is shy about voicing an opinion
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely get the sleeper space. It's expensive but is a must for an enjoyable trip. I suggest you call Amtrak's reservations office to check about Orlando parking. They may give you the number to the Orlando station ao you can check directly with the agent.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Smitty all the way. Some readers may think I am being a little harsh here, but this is my opinion:

I used to travel in coach, but I have found way too many low-quality people in coach. Kids run up and down the aisles all night long, people get drunk, and so forth. When travelling first-class in a sleeper, overall, the rest of the passengers near you will be a much higher quality group of people.

Dean

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeper, no question, especially for a family with elderly parents.

But summer sleeper space fills up very fast, and the later you wait, the more expensive the rooms. Most experienced sleeper passengers book their rooms three months in advance (or more) in order to score the lowest bucket charges.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to what everyone here says, I have gone coach, rather than sleeper, from Jacksonville to New York City, so Orlando to DC is doable too--depends how limber you are and how you usually travel. Certainly it's no worse than going overnight to Europe on a plane--in fact, much more leg room. But with elderly parents, I'd recommend at least one roomette for them--it will include a commode and sink, which is great. A single sleeper is unlikely to be big enough for 4 people, even if one is a small child. Two roomettes would be fine, if you can afford it--though two adults sharing a roomette is difficult because there is no hall toilet in sleeping cars on the sleepers that go to FL (Viewliners; as opposed to Superliners, which do have them) and thus one either has to go out in the hall when the other person sharing the roomette uses the commode or not be too modest about it. Best of all would be a (larger) sleeper for your parents and a roomette for you and your daughter; the sleeper will have an actual toilet and shower inside. It is late to book, however, and prices are likely to be extremely high for that configuration. You might also consider a large sleeper for your parents but you and your daughter traveling coach; then, if you and/or your daughter is tired in the morning, you could probably informally change accommodations with the folks and take nap!

I cannot tell you about boarding in Orlando; Ive never done it. However, I do suggest you look into possible boarding at nearby Kissimee (if you are south of Orlando) or Winter Park (if you are north of Orlando) if Orlando itself has parking woes. Orlando seems to be a fairly hectic station--the others may be more soothing. But Orlando may be more convenient. Someone here may know more about Orlando parking; if not, see what Amtrak says--if you phone an agent, ask for parking info they have, and ask for the phone number of the train stations themselves and phone them to speak with the ticket agenst there, if possible (Orlando may be too busy and not answer, but the other two will, and they will likely have info for you about Orlando, because it is very close).Or, better yet, if you live close enough by, go down to the station and check the parking situation yourself.

I always bring music and a book; also layers in my overnight bag, because A/C is sometimes too cold or too hot. The food is pretty good in the dining cars and is included in the sleeper fares, as noted. Dining in the diner is also part of the train experience. Even though you are 4 traveling together, I recommend that you and your daughter dine separately from your folks so that you can meet other passengers, which is usually (but not always!) a fun part of the experience.

I would look into whether it pays to get a rail pass or simply to buy tickets at the best fares. Where else are you going? Coach fares from DC to other places may not be that high--although, again, everything depends on how far in advance you purchase. Remember, the rail pass does not include sleeping accommodations.

If you have a sleeper, note that you also have access to the Club ACELA Lounge at DC Union Station, which is pretty nice, on the day of your arrival (or departure).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I certainly agree, Ms. Sojourner, that Winter Park is a far more attractive place to begin and end an Amtrak journey than is Orlando, access to/from McCoy is of concern to Rachel's Mother and Father. Obviously, there are far more tansportation options, including Lynx busses if one need count pennies, between KMCO and Downtown Orlando than Winter Park.

Rachel, regarding the USARail Pass, and please accept my apologies if already aware, it is not a "pass" in the sense that, if you have had occasion to travel overseas, is a Eurailpass. You book your itinerary in advance, generally in Coach, and have tickets issued for the specific train and date of travel, which will be lifted once on-board.

Finally, regarding Sleeper accommodations using the "pass' for rail fare, the website says "on certain trains". No doubt this is a property of Amtrak's demand pricing fare structure, and could be as restrictive as on-train sale only. That, my dear, is more of a crapshoot than I care to get into in this life - and likely your Mother and Father, using your handle as a guideline to measure their age, will hold likewise.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also consider Auto Train non-stop from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA (near DC), if it would be convenient to bring your own vehicle to Virginia. For 4 people in 2 roomettes and a car it is only about $300 more round trip ($2100 vs. $1800 for dates I sampled in Aug). It is considered Amtrak's finest long distance train.
You can also pack all the luggage and stuff that will fit into your car, but you have no access to it while on the train. And it solves the parking at Orlando problem.

If cost is a major concern, please do not feel a bedroom is an absolute must. Coach seats are larger and more comfortable than first class airline seats, and are fully reclining. You can bring food, purchase food in the lounge or use the dining car depending on how much you want to spend. It is possible you may get a quiet coach with delightful companions, or you may not. Most of my experiences in coach have been good. Some people sleep easily in a reclined (but not flat) seat with a footrest and some do not. Extra pillows help, but Amtrak provides a small one. These seats are designed for sleeping.

Still, I would recommend a bedroom for privacy and free meals (and a shower) if you can afford it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As a veteran of nineteen journeys made over the years and with the most recent this past February, I certainly second Mr. Twin Star's suggestion regarding Auto Train.

Even Auto Train Coach, which I'm still not about to sample, would be an improvement. A casserole Dinner is included (so is I think "comp" wine), and there are no intermediate stops so the amount of foot traffic within the car coming and going "at all hours" will be minimized.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

access to/from McCoy is of concern to Rachel's Mother and Father

You do know, Gil, that KMCO hasn't been called McCoy since the mid-70's. Its official name is Orlando International Airport. I know you don't refer to JFK as Idlewild, do you?

By the way, before it became McCoy AFB, it was known as Pinecastle AFB.

In any case, all good travel suggestions noted for this family above. I am contemplating a trip to the North Country of NYS this summer myself, and may brave "steerage" (coach)due to "the bad economy" in my household.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Because Captain, SIR, that is what McCoy AFB was known as when I was handling AM (Airlift Mission) messages at Dover.

Addendum: lest some wonder why I prefer use of the four letter ICAO airport codes over the more generally accepted three letter IATA codes is simply that at a forum in which passenger rail issues are central topic of discussion, many Amtrak three letter station codes are the same as that same city's IATA airport code. Use of the four letter ICAO code simply eliminates any possible confusion between an airport and Amtrak station.

Also as noted, when I was in the Air Force 65-69 and handling MAC Airlift Mission messages (AM's), all Flight Plans used the ICAO codes. In short, "I grew up with 'em'. Military bases all have an ICAO code; they may or may not have an IATA code. Likely because of the large number of civilian contract carrier aircraft using Dover AFB, ICAO KDOV, and handling military personnel (unfortunately, not all living), the IATA code DOV has been assigned.

VVTS communicated far more to me than did SGN.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, Sgt. Gil, there are still many, many references to McCoy around town, such as the McCoy Federal Credit Union.

I've always been fascinated by three-letter airport codes, and here's a great article about same: http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

My favorite used to be an airport that served Detroit many, many years ago that was YIP (for Ypsilanti, MI where it was actually located). My favorite now is MSY (New Orleans, LA) standing for Moisant Stock Yards.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachel -- I too agree with the others that you will be more comfortable going in sleepers. The larger bedrooms on the Viewliners do have an enclosed shower/toilet in each room, while the smaller roomettes only have the "non-enclosed" toilet in the room next to the bunks. You could put your folks in the bedroom, while you and your daughter could use the smaller roomette. In the Viewliner cars, the bedrooms and romettees are in the same car, but in different parts of the car, so you would be near your folks.

I haven't been to the Orlando station for a few years, but the last time I was there, they still had a small parking lot, and not "on-street" parking as someone else said. However, that may have changed though, since the Orlando station is located in a hospital/medical office district, and with recent expansion of the medical facilities, the parking situation may have changed.

The Winter Park station is a much more attractive place to begin and end a train trip, and they do have LIMITED long-term free parking available -- all you have to do is fill out a form and leave it with the station agent, and they will "keep an eye on your car" for you.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Englander
Member # 11041

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Englander   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rachel,

I've usually travelled coach class and found it fine on the whole, though with children and parents along it would be much better to have the safety and comfort of sleeping accommodation. As others have mentioned though you should book as early as possible.

--------------------
www.usa-by-rail.com

USA by Rail - 'The complete guide to train travel in the USA and Canada.'

Posts: 4 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page