RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Where are Horizon Cars Used?

Author Topic: Where are Horizon Cars Used?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing about Horizon cars years ago, but I don't seem to ever hear about them anymore. Where are they used?
Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Konstantin, Horizons are primarily based in Chicago; although depending on "supply and demand", some can be based at LA.

These cars are regularly assigned to any of the Midwest Corridor trains originating at Chicago; those based at LA, if any, will be assigned to LA-SD Surfliner trains and have also been assigned to Cascade trains.

Periodically, if Chicago is short of cars, they have been seen in consist of the Lake Shore Ltd.

All told, what times I have ridden in them, they seem like perfectly attractive cars, although with their aluminum construction, they may well have a shorter economic life than the "indestructible' Amfleet-I's.

Horizons were placed in service during 1990; Amfleet I's by contrast were placed in service between 1975 and 1977. The Long Distance configured Amfleet-II's were placed in service during 1982.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Horizons also show up on the west coast in Oakland every winter for the Reno Fun Train and Reno Snow Train.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All told, what times I have ridden in them, they seem like perfectly attractive cars, although with their aluminum construction, they may well have a shorter economic life than the "indestructible' Amfleet-Is
The predecessor to the Horizons, the former NJ Transit "Comet Is" built by Pullman Standard and delivered to NJDOT for Erie Lackawanna commuter service in 1971, had an average lifespan of 37 years in service on their "home rails"; those that operate on SEPTA and Utah's FrontRunner would be in their 40th year. Still remains to be seen if the Amfleet Is can beat that record.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amfleet is a good car. It seems to as GBN said indestructible. Now they are old, but they will run as long as they are maintained. I do think they should supplement the cars with a new coach order. Maybe Amfleet III's. It has taken me some time, but I have grown to love the old Amfleets
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak awarded a contract to CAF USA last year for 130 new single-level cars, including new cab cars. I don't know how well CAF builds their stuff, but considering what they did with Ireland's Mark 4s, I'd be wary.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only ridden in Amfleet cars one trip, on the Lake Shore Limited both directions. I thought the windows were quite small. There are some seats that are not lined up good with windows and it is difficult to see out well.

Most of my experience has been on Superliners, which to the passenger, are far superior to the Amfleet.

Thank you for the information.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Depends on what you call "superior". Most Superliners are limited to 100 mph (even though there are no corridors it could run at that speed on), and are too tall for most clearances on the Northeast Corridor (at about 16 feet above railhead), not to mention are also limited to low (track-level) platforms. Amfleets have been almost everywhere on Amtrak's system, can use both low and high platforms, and have traveled at 125 mph in regular service for several decades.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page