RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Book For A Long Amtrak Trip

Author Topic: Book For A Long Amtrak Trip
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who have taken a long-distance Amtrak vaction this summer, or who are about to take a long Amtrak trip, what sort of reading material have you taken along or will be taking along?
One suggestion: I just got through reading a book called "Unbroken", about a fellow named Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner and survivor of an unbelievable ordeal during WWII. Highly recommended.

What book(s) can you recommend for a long Amtrak vacation trip?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year Henning Mankell's Swedish crime novels featuring Inspector Kurt Wallander have been a staple of my Kindle. "The Troubled Man" is his most recent in English. Highly recommended.

"Unbroken" is first-rate, and so is author Laura Hillenbrand's earlier book, "Seabiscuit."

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think "Too Big to Fail" by New York Times financial columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin is good reading anywhere. That you did not get "snookered in" by the antics of the should be jailbirds reported upon (and I'll be very self-interest here; the one that cost me the most should be first to see the clink - then work down the list from there), is why you are able to take long Amtrak trips rather than a staycation.

It is a long book made for a long trip.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zamperini is local here. The Torrance Airport is Zamperini Field.

I find I don't read much on a long train ride. Too busy watching scenery, figuring out where I am on my GPS. Being an Anglophile I stick with my British police procedurals. But I have found that Ed McBain's fifty years of 87th Precinct books are very entertaining too.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an avid reader, almost always non-fiction, usually history. I have been on several long-distance train rides, and take books with me. Normally, I end up by not reading at all on the train. However, my wife, not being a true train fan, reads quite a bit.
Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or try an audiobook so that you can pop in your ear buds, and listen to the book as you stare out the window at the passing scenery. I don't like to put my head in a book because I'll miss what's happening outside the window. Here are my suggestions (I like political books):

-The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture by David Mamet

-The Roots of Obama's Rage by Dinesh D'Souza

-Crimes Against Liberty by David Limbaugh

-Culture of Corruption by Michelle Malkin

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have now ridden most of the Amtrak long-distance routes several times over, I generally read more on train trips than I ever thought I would. (exception - the California Zephyr west of Denver.... NO READING time on that route at all.)

In fact, I find that hours spent on a train now are about the only time in my life where I can 'gear down' enough to really get into reading mode.

Last week flying to/from the west coast and riding the Coast Starlight, I read 'The Year of Living Bibically' by AJ Jacobs, one agnostic New Yorker's attempt to follow the teachings of the Bible as literally as possible for one year and a much shorter memoir 'The Best School I Ever Attended' by Michael Gillespie; A remembrance of growing up hanging out at the Southern Railway depot in Georgetown, KY during the 1960's.

I enjoyed both but must add that the memoir spoke to me on a number of levels since my family lived in Georgetown briefly in the 1960's while my father attended graduate school at the nearby University of Kentucky and I too experienced a few evening visits to the depot to watch #4, a remnant of the Royal Palm, call at 7:14pm.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to add Gretchen Morgerstern's, another Times financial reporter and columnist, "Reckless Endangerment". I have only completed one chapter (picked it up at Borders yesterday - I want to help them any reasonable way I can), but it looks like she has a few different "personnae' than her colleague Sorkin, for which their mug shots ought to be at a Post Office near you.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two years ago, I took the Rocky Mountaineer train from Vancouver to Jasper, along with my sister and brother-in-law. As we were travelling by Mount Robson, I noticed my sister was completely engrossed in a book. I asked her why she was reading while we are going through one of the most spectacular regions of the Canadian Rockies. She replied, "Oh, I look up every now and then".

I forgot to mention one of my all-time favorite books, "The Pillars of the Earth", by Ken Follett. However, at over 1,000 pages, it might be better to reserve it for a USA Rail Pass.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, may I add my recollection of a '50's vintage TRAINS "Photo Section" that showed a photo of a passenger sitting in a "prime time viewing" seat aboard the D&RGW CZ while ascending the Rockies (something I have never seen during the Amtrak era, BTW; but several times before), The caption asked, "Is he a millionaire (back when millionaire meant net worth of $1M rather than todays definition of income of $1M) or is he a railroad employee to blase to even care about the sights?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there were the elderly riders in the domes of the Park cars on The Canadian with their noses deep in their books, never looking up as the train wound its way through the Rockies. A dismaying number of them would leave coats and grips on the seats to save them while they went to the dining car or back to their compartments for naps. Sigh.

GBN, many's the Amtrak crew member I've asked on No. 5 and 6 why he or she didn't gaze in wonder out at the scenery. "After eleventeen gazillion trips?" they'd say in wonder, as if my cluelessness was a sight to behold.

I did ride in the cab Over the Hill with a couple of veteran enginemen who never stopped marveling at the number of eagles they saw on the Truckee River. They said the sight ahead never got boring on that run. I believed it.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take along books on my long LD rides.....and I never even cracked them. I don't even listen to much music. Mostly I just look out the window; when it gets dark I go to sleep. When I want companionship I go to the diner or the sightseer car. I don't even take a magazine anymore.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what City of Miami said. I "read" out the window or "read" other people on the train. I once fell asleep in the very front seat in coach on the N/B CONO while "reading" out the window that way. When I woke up, I discovered that someone (female LSA?) had placed a pillow and blanket appropriately for me. Yes, I thanked her before Chicago.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page