TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rolling stock available

Author Topic: Rolling stock available
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I idly wondered just how many Superliner vehicles Amtrak needs to run a typical service and how many are spare, ignoring those unavailable due to wrecks/damage. Perhaps others have already done this. The following uses typical consists for each train and ignores such complexities as additional cars or engines for part of the trip or maintenance schedules or summer/winter variations.

Transition sleepers: 34 required; 8 spare
Sleepers: 77 required; 34 spare
Diners: 40 required; 23 spare
Lounges: 38 required; 6 spare
Coaches: 100 required; 68 spare

Given that 5-10% of any vehicle type would typically be undergoing regular maintenance, and some vehicles will be stored at strategic places for bad ordered cars, that doesn't leave (m)any lounges or transition sleepers at all! But some of the other vehicles appear to be in ready supply. Perhaps the availability figures aren't as high as I suggested?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Mayo, a 32XXX Sleeper can readily be substituted for a 390XX T-Dorm; also in place of the 330XX Lounge, the 370XX Diner Lounge, or a 350XX Snack Bar can also be used - even if some passengers, especially some here, would feel "gypped".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Superliner Trans/Dorm Sleepers did Amtrak order with the Superliner II order? Unless there are a lot of wrecked (RIP) Superliner Trans/Dorm Sleepers, seems like Amtrak should have held on to some of the former AT&SF Hi-Level cars.

Likewise, how many Superliner Sightseer Lounge cars were part of the Superliner I and Superliner II order?

Even though only one of the above cars are required per trainset, this is a descent shortage.

However, I am surprised that Amtrak keeps that many Superliner sleepers and coaches in reserve. Maybe it is just me, but I often feel that Amtrak is operating on a shoe string of Superliner sleepers and coaches.........

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, Mr Pismobum Ainsworth and his wonderful weblurker's DOMEmain site helps:

Superliner Sightseer cars:
Car numbers are: Superliner I - 33000-33024, Superliner II - 33025-33049.

47 dorms were part of the S-II order. That's all,folks.

As far as jp1822's comment goes, it's a matter of limited resources and parts supply. The ex-ATSF Budd cars are different frames and wheelsets from the Superliners. Parts in inventory cost $$$. What does Amtrak lack? $$$.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the variety of Amtrak equipment that Amtrak has even currently, the AT&SF Hi-Levels didn't miss the mark too much from the current Superliners. One has to look no further than even the variety of Amfleet I configurations that existed (and that Amtrak has expended a lot of money on to make more uniform). The Horizons, single level Heritage cars and even the bi-level California cars all have their own unique qualities. I don't want to hijack the post, but with the Superliners inspired from the Hi-Level cars, I am still not convinced that Amtrak should have sidelined these cars as early as they did. For service on the Heartland Flyer or former Kentucky Cardinal, this released other Superliners for the national system. The transition Hi-Level cars plus the coach-dorms were likely the most important to retain - in my opinion.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page